Jesus Portrait in Ohio's Jackson Middle School

(1/4) > >>

Nephi:

The American Civil Liberties Union stepped in Thursday as school officials in Jackson City, Ohio are ignoring the demands of an atheist group, deciding Tuesday night during a board meeting to keep a painting of Jesus displayed in a local middle school.

The portrait, on display over an entrance at Jackson Middle School since 1947, recently came under fire when the Freedom From Religion Foundation received a complaint from an unnamed source. In a Jan. 2 letter to the district, the group demanded the portrait's removal, arguing that its presence in the public school is unconstitutional government endorsement of Christianity, WKKJ reports.

[...]

"I'm certainly not going to run down there and take the picture down because some group from Madison, Wis. who knows nothing about the culture of our community or why the picture is even there, wants me to take it down," Howard told WKKJ.
From: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/jesus-portrait-in-ohios-j_n_2450100.html

This isn't too far from where I live. I'm surprised at how strong the community support over retaining the portrait is.

Nephi:

CINCINNATI -- A portrait of Jesus that hangs prominently in an entranceway at a rural Ohio public school is in violation of the U.S. Constitution and should be removed, a federal lawsuit filed Thursday says.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio and the Madison, Wis.-based Freedom From Religion Foundation say the large portrait at Jackson Middle School unconstitutionally promotes religion. The two groups seek a court order requiring the school to remove the portrait and prohibiting its re-hanging or any substantially similar display in the future.
From here.

Cyrillic:
I think they should remove it. The portrait looks horrible. They should replace it with an icon of Christ or something.

Schultz:
Quote from: Cyrillic on February 08, 2013, 11:17:07 AM

I think they should remove it. The portrait looks horrible. They should replace it with an icon of Christ or something.

That is one of the most ubiquitous, recognizable and well loved images of Jesus in the United States.  It's a bit dated, but I'd hardly call it "horrible."

Cyrillic:
Quote from: Schultz on February 08, 2013, 11:20:25 AM

Quote from: Cyrillic on February 08, 2013, 11:17:07 AM

That is one of the most ubiquitous, recognizable and well loved images of Jesus in the United States.  It's a bit dated, but I'd hardly call it "horrible."

It looks terribly effeminate. Horrible is, I think, the proper word to use. However, to each his own.

BTW: Is 'civil rights organisation' in the US a codeword for a club of militant atheists or something?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page