OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:07:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington National Cathedral To Wed Same-Sex Couples  (Read 771 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: January 09, 2013, 05:01:35 AM »

Washington National Cathedral To Wed Same-Sex Couples

When laws went into effect in three states for same-sex couples to marry, many were quick to line up at their city halls to exchange vows. Now they may do so in one of the nation's most prominent churches -- the Washington National Cathedral.

Most Americans know the house of God, also called the Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, as a place where sacred rites are carried out on behalf of the nation. It has been host to the funerals of numerous presidents and of inaugural prayer services for four presidents, including Barack Obama.

But it is also an active house of worship in the Episcopalian Church, said the Cathedral's dean, Gary Hall. The denomination has developed a blessing rite that mirrors current wedding ceremonies for heterosexual couples and allows each bishop to decide to allow same-sex marriages in their churches or not...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 05:07:08 AM »

What on earth is happening to the Episcopalians?

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:32 AM »

They've decided that each bishop is to decide what Christianity is for himself, it seems, and then inflict his personal vision on everybody else. Lord have mercy.

LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:51:57 AM »

Just the continuation of the increasingly unholy mess that Anglican comprehensiveness has spawned over the past 30-40 years. I feel so sorry for those good and pious Anglicans who've been betrayed yet again by their hierarchy.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:37:56 PM »

Let us hope the hierarchy never go there again, as it is no longer a church.

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »

Problem is it's not just a church that represents Episcopalians, it's a church that represents the USA.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »

Problem is it's not just a church that represents Episcopalians, it's a church that represents the USA.

i'm sorry, i just never think about it that way.  If I as an American think of THAT church as what represents America...

Is it a historic landmark? Absolutely!  I just personally don't see it as much more than a museum. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »

Which is all the more reason for them to do this, seeing as how a majority of Americans favor gay marriage.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 06:47:35 PM »

Did you not get the memos? There was one from Henry VIII, one from Cramner, one from Cromwell, a coupld desperate communiques from Laud and Andrewes, which were ignored, and some epistles from Lambeth, and many others.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 06:48:21 PM »

Just the continuation of the increasingly unholy mess that Anglican comprehensiveness has spawned over the past 30-40 years. I feel so sorry for those good and pious Anglicans who've been betrayed yet again by their hierarchy.

+1

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 06:49:12 PM »

Bingo. And it holds more people than the Freemason lodge.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 06:50:52 PM »

Which is all the more reason for them to do this, seeing as how a majority of Americans favor gay marriage.

The majority of Americans has often favored other things as well that were probably not supported by the cathedral.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 06:59:43 PM »

i'm sorry, i just never think about it that way.  If I as an American think of THAT church as what represents America...

Is it a historic landmark? Absolutely!  I just personally don't see it as much more than a museum. 

It is supposed to be the national church, or the closest thing to one under the First Amendment. But, I am with serb1389: I have never thought of this cathedral as suitable for Orthodox worship.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 12:53:14 AM »

Didn't take long from blessings to weddings, it seems.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:58 AM »

Is numerical superiority within a secular body a legitimate reason for theological change? I'd like to think the U.S., much less any religious authority claiming to represent it, is above decisions that begin and end with simple majority rule...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:01:00 AM by NightOwl » Logged
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 01:06:56 AM »

Didn't a majority of the Israelites think it was a good idea to worship that golden calf?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 01:09:06 AM »

Didn't a majority of the Israelites think it was a good idea to worship that golden calf?

In Christ,
Andrew
After visiting a Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit, apparently most Israelities later thought it was a good idea to worship fertility goddesses.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 01:10:42 AM »

Is numerical superiority within a secular body a legitimate reason for theological change? I'd like to think the U.S., much less any religious authority claiming to represent it, is above decisions that begin and end with simple majority rule...
Exactly. A majority of Americans were in favor of slavery and keeping women from voting, so it is clearly possible that just because people are supposedly of one mind on something does not mean they are not free from perilous folly which would be detrimental to the overall health of a population. I wish you good luck in getting James to admit that, though. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 01:11:32 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew
After visiting a Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit, apparently most Israelities later thought it was a good idea to worship fertility goddesses.
Why not? If a majority agrees, go for it! It has to be right!

In Christ,
Andrew

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 01:13:16 AM »

Exactly. A majority of Americans were in favor of slavery and keeping women from voting, so it is clearly possible that just because people are supposedly of one mind on something does not mean they are not free from perilous folly which would be detrimental to the overall health of a population. I wish you good luck in getting James to admit that, though. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

I was merely following the logic of theistgal.  She seemed to be saying the National Cathedral shouldn't have gay marriage because it represents America.  However, if that's the case, then it actually makes perfect sense for it to have gay marriage.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 01:18:37 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I was merely following the logic of theistgal.  She seemed to be saying the National Cathedral shouldn't have gay marriage because it represents America.  However, if that's the case, then it actually makes perfect sense for it to have gay marriage.
But how do you know that the majority of Americans approve of homosexuals marrying one another?

In Christ,
Andrew

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 01:37:51 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

But how do you know that the majority of Americans approve of homosexuals marrying one another?

In Christ,
Andrew

Because I pay attention to polls.

NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 01:39:41 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I was merely following the logic of theistgal.  She seemed to be saying the National Cathedral shouldn't have gay marriage because it represents America.  However, if that's the case, then it actually makes perfect sense for it to have gay marriage.

No it doesn't, because representation isn't necessarily predicated on majority rule. For example, our political representatives are primarily elected by numerical majorities but (theoretically) make decisions based on what is in the best interests of their constituents and within certain legal constraints.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:40:52 AM by NightOwl » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 01:46:34 AM »

I must agree. (I can feel you all judging me already.)

Does it really matter what that Church, in particular, is used for?  Some of you say that it's "no longer a Church."  Was it still a Church when the Episcopal Church instituted female clergy, or installed Rev. Bishop Catherine Schori?  The Episcopal Church has been very liberal, so I'm not surprised at all.  In a country with so many different ideas and philosophies, perhaps a Church that is used so much by our nation's leaders should be a bit more to the liberal side of things.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 02:00:00 AM »

Please don't put words in my mouth.  I didn't say I felt that way, but that the reason it's controversial is because it's the "National" Cathedral, not just the Episcopal church down the street.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 02:00:45 AM »

defiling the holiness of the Cathedral.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 11:05:09 PM »

How many of you would have communed at the National Cathedral before this happened?

I was there 7 years ago.  This is all I remember:

Aaron M

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: nothing

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 11:31:32 PM »

defiling the holiness of the Cathedral.

If ever this Cathedral had one like John Shelby Spong as a dean/rector or whatever the proper title, wouldn't his (or her) holding a leadership position and presumably teaching heresy or unbelief there be every bit as defiling?  Or would this be... is the term Donatist?  (Idea that the unworthiness of the minister/priest has no bearing on the effecting of a sacrament, but I don't know much about the Donatists historically.)

If, as an Orthodox, you (any Orthodox) believe that the Episcopal Church/Anglican Communion lacks any true sacramental grace by sole virtue of its not being in communion with the One Holy and Apostolic, why would you think that any act of non-traditional, not-grace-filled rituals performed in the National Cathedral is particularly defiling?  Presumably that 'Cathedral' was never holy to begin with, yes?
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 07:29:01 AM »

Yes.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »

Different people have different views on homosexuality...While the church offers help and counsel and such such it doesn't mean you should condone illicit sexual behavior.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:05:24 AM by WPM » Logged
miamiwestchester

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

Excellent answer
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

No numerical superiority within a secular body is not a legitimate reason for theological change.  However, it could be a reason to give up a particular theology or religion altogether... if you really don't believe, you just don't believe...

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: