OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:51:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you send your kids to Catholic School?  (Read 3199 times) Average Rating: 0
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 07:00:59 PM »

Not an Orthodox-Catholic issue, but for Orthodox families who do not have an option for an Orthodox school in their area, would you send your kids to Catholic School?
Yes I would, I think it's good.

Orthodox people I know who grew up in mostly Catholic communities generally went to public school, and typically people felt it was better because the nuns were mean and violent.

Nowadays things are different, as Catholic schools do not have corporal punishment, all over America. The same can not be said for many public schools in southern states. I called up a public school with a policy of beating students once and the principal explained to me that this was "normal" and everyone has it, and that the Catholic school there does. I called up the Catholic school and they did not.

The Catholic school I went to was nice, I wish I could be young again and redo it. They did not indoctrinate me, unlike the Evan. school I went to for a bit which was mentally stifling.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 04:06:18 AM »

What's wrong with public schools? In my country private schools are rare and most of them are not religious. Orthodox kids attend the same schools as their non-Orthodox neighbours.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2013, 04:15:11 AM »

I meant to say:
Orthodox people I know who grew up in mostly Catholic communities generally went to public school, and typically people felt public school was better because the nuns - who were not in public schools- were mean and violent.

What's wrong with public schools? In my country private schools are rare and most of them are not religious. Orthodox kids attend the same schools as their non-Orthodox neighbours.
Yeah and those public schools in your country don't beat tens of thousands of students a year with big thick boards.

Peace.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:41:57 AM by rakovsky » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »

Yeah and those public schools don't beat tens of thousands of students a year with big thick boards.

Peace.

Well, if you watch the news today, teachers just sleep with their students in public schools.
choy
Archon

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2013, 04:22:38 AM »

Today in North America, they are agents for the liberal secular agenda.  They can't even mention the word "God" in public schools, but they will teach your 8-year-old how to sexually pleasure themselves (its true, there are cases out there).
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2013, 04:29:26 AM »

Today in North America...  they will teach your 8-year-old how to sexually pleasure themselves (its true, there are cases out there).
After beating them with wooden boards.

This was an option in my high school (still in the south at that age)... I refused and I think it is sick. One of our spankers (school employees who disciplined with the paddle) was arrested and fired for dating a student. The paddle used is thick wood.
http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/101146/Exh5t_aSbcE
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:33:48 AM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 04:35:13 AM »

Well, if you watch the news today, teachers just sleep with their students in public schools.
See above.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 06:25:42 AM »

Today in North America, they are agents for the liberal secular agenda.  They can't even mention the word "God" in public schools, but they will teach your 8-year-old how to sexually pleasure themselves (its true, there are cases out there).

He, as true here as over there.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 12:47:49 AM »

After beating them with wooden boards.
Any schools that I'm aware of that use corporal punishment require the parent's signature. They don't just take children and beat them without the permission of the parents.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:48:34 AM by Nephi » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 01:46:13 AM »

Any schools that I'm aware of that use corporal punishment require the parent's signature. They don't just take children and beat them without the permission of the parents.
Maybe where you are, but there's other places in the South where that's not true.

In [Texas] districts that now use corporal punishment, there is no requirement of parental consent.
http://educationfrontblog.dallasnews.com/2011/05/parents-would-have-to-ok-schoo.html/

Why Florida Schools Can Paddle Students Against Parents’ Wishes
Many principals say they will not paddle a kid against the parent’s wishes. But schools don’t always check the paperwork before they administer the punishment. And when that happens, Florida statutes protect the principals and teachers from lawsuits.

Mom Says Paddling Left Welts on Preschooler
Gierrea said. “I cried all the way home. It was really hard.”
Jones says the wooden paddle left welts on Gierrea’s bottom. Jones did not sign the waiver the school sent home asking for permission to paddle her son.

http://stateimpact.npr.org/florida/2012/03/13/why-florida-schools-can-paddle-students-against-parents-wishes/

This comes from slavery, when the "paddle" was invented.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:51:45 AM by rakovsky » Logged
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2013, 01:55:09 AM »

If I could just do it over....sigh..... yes I would, or  private Lutheran school, or home school (no Orthodox schools here)=period.    Hind sight is always 20/20. My ex  hubby put his foot down- said no-so mine didnt. Funny, when I was in high school-I got in a spot of trouble-well, actually, was like always in trouble-my parents put me the catholic school- I hated it my junior year-loathed it, despised it,-my senior year, I loved it-(and no it wasnt for the social aspect my friends were from sports or my churches-not from any school I attended)-I learned a lot, Funny-I work in a charter school now, and I do not see how much more effective the Charter I work for when compared to the other KCMO schools.  But the stats on parochial and home schooled kids in the area far outshine the district and all the Charters.-
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2013, 10:08:39 PM »

What's so wrong with public school? If your kids can't resist the temptations, then no offense, but that's probably more so the fault of your parenting than the school.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2013, 10:18:10 PM »

What's the point of Catholic schools? I know maybe like 3 or 4 people who believe in God at my school.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2013, 10:27:34 PM »

What's the point of Catholic schools?

They're better at edjumakatin peoples...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
choy
Archon

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2013, 10:42:58 PM »

What's so wrong with public school? If your kids can't resist the temptations, then no offense, but that's probably more so the fault of your parenting than the school.

Today, more than ever there is social programming happening in schools.  Especially with the liberal pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, and sexual liberation mentality.  I don't mind if the school environment is religion neutral, but they are aggressively teaching a message that is counter to the values of us parents and the family and of course our faith.

Kids will just get confused.  They are supposed to learn from their teachers and listen to them, then you tell them to filter out half of what they are being told?  Even adults will be confused.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:43:48 PM by choy » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2013, 01:31:03 AM »

Today, more than ever there is social programming happening in schools.  Especially with the liberal pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, and sexual liberation mentality.  I don't mind if the school environment is religion neutral, but they are aggressively teaching a message that is counter to the values of us parents and the family and of course our faith.

Kids will just get confused.  They are supposed to learn from their teachers and listen to them, then you tell them to filter out half of what they are being told?  Even adults will be confused.

At least in my experience attending public school, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. No one was trying to force this new weirdo liberal agenda on us. The most "liberal" thing we were ever taught was that it's mean, rude and offensive to pick on LGBT students and that was it.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »

My (RC) high school does try to force social liberalism down my throat, though. So I guess not only public schools are doing it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:21:58 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
choy
Archon

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »

At least in my experience attending public school, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. No one was trying to force this new weirdo liberal agenda on us. The most "liberal" thing we were ever taught was that it's mean, rude and offensive to pick on LGBT students and that was it.

I live in Canada where everything is legal (same-sex marriage and abortion).
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2013, 02:43:32 PM »

In the UK, Catholic schools are public, and thus required to fulfil national curriculum requirements.

I found it particularly amusing that the Catholic primary I tried to get my son into mentioned explicitly that sex ed classes start in Year 5, while neither of the (secular) other two had a word on the issue. Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
choy
Archon

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »

In the UK, Catholic schools are public, and thus required to fulfil national curriculum requirements.

I found it particularly amusing that the Catholic primary I tried to get my son into mentioned explicitly that sex ed classes start in Year 5, while neither of the (secular) other two had a word on the issue. Smiley

They don't tell you, they just teach them anyway.

Anyway, the RC bishop in our area is very conservative (and a traddie) so I have no worries there.  If our parish's Orthodox School initiative doesn't take off, I will probably send my kids to RC School.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »

They don't tell you, they just teach them anyway.

Anyway, the RC bishop in our area is very conservative (and a traddie) so I have no worries there.  If our parish's Orthodox School initiative doesn't take off, I will probably send my kids to RC School.

Oh, I don't mind the teaching one bit. I was just tickled pink at the prudery, or lack thereof (depending on which side you look at). Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »

I wouldn't send my kids (if I had them) to any private school, religious or not, jewish, christian or bahai - doesn't matter.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »

I went to private Evangelical school from 6-8th grade because my dad worked there and got free tuition for me. In my experience, they tried to brainwash me and shove an agenda down our throats more than any public school I've ever attended has. Back in 2008, they used to teach us in "Bible Class" that Obama was evil and that we should pray and ask our parents to vote for McCain. Not saying they're wrong, but using kids too achieve a political agenda seems horrible.

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2013, 12:52:59 AM »

You unhesitantly pontificate a lot. I recommend erring on the side of not commenting when you are unsure. This has saved me many a time and my future self thanks my past self.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.

"And if your right hand causes you to sin, tattoo it."
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2013, 05:42:23 PM »

Temptations? There are additional temptations in public school?

-Samuel Coleridge
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »

If it was ONLY a choice between public or Catholic school, I'd send to Catholic any day.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: