OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 02:32:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you send your kids to Catholic School?  (Read 2936 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: January 10, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »

Not an Orthodox-Catholic issue, but for Orthodox families who do not have an option for an Orthodox school in their area, would you send your kids to Catholic School?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »

I'm in a (public) Catholic school. One barely even notices it's Catholic.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:13:03 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »

I'd gladly send my kids to a Catholic school. Its better than the the indoctrination center that is the one ran by Liberty University in my town.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »

Luckily I am in a part of Canada where we do not have that grandfathered clause for public funding for Catholic Schools.  Sure, its expensive to send kids to Catholic Schools but they are in full control of the RC Archdiocese and not the liberals in government.

And Archbishop Miller is very (in the Catholic sense) orthodox.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:16:22 PM by choy » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »

Luckily I am in a part of Canada where we do not have that grandfathered clause for public funding for Catholic Schools.  Sure, its expensive to send kids to Catholic Schools but they are in full control of the RC Archdiocese and not the liberals in government.

And Archbishop Miller is very (in the Catholic sense) orthodox.

I'd be surprised if they'd teach much about the issues that divide the Orthodox and the Catholics. Even if they did it would still be better than the secular schools.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:25:44 PM »

I'd be surprised if they'd teach much about the issues that divide the Orthodox and the Catholics. Even if they did it would still be better than the secular schools.

I'm pretty sure the IC and Papacy will be taught in some way.  But like you said, that is the least of my worries.  It is not as bad as accepting SSM and thinking that abortion is okay.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 03:39:37 PM »

I tried. It was oversubscribed, so the young 'un didn't get in. Undecided

UK law is that faith schools have to admit every year a certain percentage of students not of the particular faith, so it is possible that even Catholic kids were turned away. We have three primaries and a secondary in the area, and especially the secondary has close ties with the Orthodox chapel.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 03:43:17 PM »

I tried. It was oversubscribed, so the young 'un didn't get in. Undecided

UK law is that faith schools have to admit every year a certain percentage of students not of the particular faith, so it is possible that even Catholic kids were turned away. We have three primaries and a secondary in the area, and especially the secondary has close ties with the Orthodox chapel.

The Catholic Schools here have a preference for parishioners (usually the schools are attached to a parish), then then other practicing Catholics.  Even with that as a Ukrainian Catholic we would have been pretty low on the list, probably just one notch above Orthodox Christians.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »

Luckily I am in a part of Canada where we do not have that grandfathered clause for public funding for Catholic Schools.  
...unlike, say, Ontario?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »

Doesn't that "one barely even notice it's Catholic" generally apply all Catholicism in Netherlands?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

Doesn't that "one barely even notice it's Catholic" generally apply all Catholicism in Netherlands?

No. Well, perhaps a bit.

-Giuseppe Verdi
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »

Luckily I am in a part of Canada where we do not have that grandfathered clause for public funding for Catholic Schools.  
...unlike, say, Ontario?

Yup.  I think Ontario and Quebec has publicly funded Catholic School, which means the government has a say in what they teach.
Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »

The Catholic Schools here have a preference for parishioners (usually the schools are attached to a parish), then then other practicing Catholics.  Even with that as a Ukrainian Catholic we would have been pretty low on the list, probably just one notch above Orthodox Christians.

We needed to attach a baptism certificate and a priest's recommendation to the application. By last year's standards, he probably would have got in, but this year the Looked After children (i.e. in care) were kicked up to the top of the list, whether Catholic or not, so that left us further down than before. Undecided

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »

Would you send your kids to Catholic School? )

In a heartbeat.  angel
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »

We needed to attach a baptism certificate and a priest's recommendation to the application. By last year's standards, he probably would have got in, but this year the Looked After children (i.e. in care) were kicked up to the top of the list, whether Catholic or not, so that left us further down than before. Undecided

All three of my kids went to the Catholic. My youngest child went to public school for K-2nd grade. Then the township change the system from small neighborhood schools to very large regional schools with long commutes. So we looked at the local Catholic school, and even though there was a waiting list at the K and first grade classes, the 3rd grade had openings. My other kids being siblings of a student were admitted when they were of age.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »

My long answer and my short answer are the same: yes.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 05:24:44 PM »

In Poland definitely no. It's a straight way to become an atheist. I know people that have finished such schools forced by their careful parents (or more often: grandmothers) and it's not been lucky decision.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
choy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »

My kids have Catholic baptismal certificates Wink although my daughter is from the Ukrainian Catholic Church.  But that is not their basis.  We need an endorsement from our priest that we are practicing Catholics if we're not from the attached parish.  Though technically we are practicing Catholics Wink
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »

No! I would have an orthodox priest or a orthodox family teaching them.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
choy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 06:06:01 PM »

No! I would have an orthodox priest or a orthodox family teaching them.

They are trying to start a "cooperative" at our parish for kids.  Technically it will be homeschooling but some of the parents and clergy would run it as if a regular school, but it won't be an official school (at least in the beginning).

Of course I'm trying to explore my options here.  Homeschooling isn't really an option for us, financially we both have to be working, and while I do have a good paying job, it is not a stable one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:06:59 PM by choy » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 09:25:34 PM »

While I don't have children yet, I definitely plan on sending them to a Catholic school. Smiley

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »

How can you guys afford (Roman) Catholic School? It's not free you know. My friend goes to a Roman Catholic school that costs anywhere upwards of 20k a year.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:44 PM »

I dunno if I want my children in an environment where teachers say pagan prayers, openly deny the existence of hell, mock the scriptures, and the like. But I want them to get a quality education in other areas. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »

I actually know of several Orthodox academies and schools in the Bay Area. If I'm still living around here and can afford it, I might send my child to one of them. Plus, they are ROCOR--the Orthodox master race that rejects ecumenical BS.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 10:12:39 PM »

How can you guys afford (Roman) Catholic School? It's not free you know. My friend goes to a Roman Catholic school that costs anywhere upwards of 20k a year.
I think it's going to vary greatly based on the area, and some have discounts (or scholarships) for lower-income families and other similar opportunities.

pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »

I don't have kids but if I did I would much rather send them to indoctrination into Catholic beliefs than indoctrination into statist beliefs

I actually know of several Orthodox academies and schools in the Bay Area. If I'm still living around here and can afford it, I might send my child to one of them. Plus, they are ROCOR--the Orthodox master race that rejects ecumenical BS.
HOTCA is the master race that rejects ecumenical BS (although ROAC is also a good choice  Wink)

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:10 PM »

Not an Orthodox-Catholic issue, but for Orthodox families who do not have an option for an Orthodox school in their area, would you send your kids to Catholic School?
If it were affordable, I would have done so years ago.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 11:20:16 PM »

Plus, they are ROCOR--the Orthodox master race that rejects ecumenical BS.

Hey, don't forget the Serbian Church in America! Not very welcoming to non-ethnic Serbs, though, at least generally. But also very traditional in many respects (Old Calendar, strict fasting, isolation from ecumenical gatherings, etc.), but not on others as much (no headcoverings, pews present, no gender segregation in congregations).
Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 03:44:08 AM »

Here in the UK it is. There may be private faith schools as well, but none of those in the area cost a farthing more than ordinary state schools.

choy
Archon

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 04:13:35 AM »

Here in the UK it is. There may be private faith schools as well, but none of those in the area cost a farthing more than ordinary state schools.

The ones I looked at here are about $500 a month, if I am not mistaken.  I think they do get some money from the government since they do provide education which is something the government ought to provide for, but not in a way that they are totally funded thus the government have full control on them.  Here's a sample of one in my area:

http://www.fatimaschool.ca/olf/AdmissionForms/Tuition%20Fees%202012-13.pdf
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 05:43:47 AM »

Hey, don't forget the Serbian Church in America! Not very welcoming to non-ethnic Serbs, though, at least generally. But also very traditional in many respects (Old Calendar, strict fasting, isolation from ecumenical gatherings, etc.), but not on others as much (no headcoverings, pews present, no gender segregation in congregations).
What about the georgians? They aren't even a member of the WWC.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »

If I can afford it for my children, absolutely yes.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:42 AM »

We did send our son to a Roman Catholic primary school before we moved to where we are now. Now we're hoping that he will get into the local Church of England secondary school (we'll find out in March). If there'd been a Roman Catholic secondary school near us we'd have probably picked that in preference, but an Anglican school (despite how liberal they've got in recent years) still seems better than the secular alternative to us. How I wish there were more Orthodox schools around, though.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »

For religious reasons, no, (having gone to the best Catholic schools myself I ended up both agnostic and wild).

For purely academic reasons, "theoretically yes," but as the local secular high school our kids attend is among the top of the top in the U.S. academically (and outperforming most Catholic high schools nationally and certainly locally) we send them there.

Our priest is trying to start an Orthodox school, but if it actually existed we still would probably have our kids where they currently are, and I wager *most* of the local Orthodox families with high-schoolers probably would too (again, locally). Not to say we are doing the right thing -God only knows (Kyrie eleison).

Silly Stars
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 10:29:32 AM »

Question: For those of you who would/do opt for Catholic, is that mainly over academics or religion for you? (or perhaps something else, e.g. safety etc.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:53:17 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »

Question: For those of you who would/do opt for Catholic, is that mainly over academics or religion for you? (or perhaps something else, e.g. safety etc.)

All of the above. Especially where I live, the Catholic schools dominate the public (and one Protestant) schools in all areas.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »

All of the above. Especially where I live, the Catholic schools dominate the public (and one Protestant) schools in all areas.

Ditto here, except we do have an Orthodox K-8 school available.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
choy
Archon

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 03:29:44 PM »

The hope that our kids don't get programmed into the liberal agenda of the secular society.  Coming from an RC family, I wouldn't mind if my kids do grow up to be good Roman Catholics, if they decide to revert upon their adulthood.  Whatever doctrinal differences the Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches has, there are a lot of good and holy people there.  And its far better than being secularized.  At least our area is blessed with a Roman Catholic bishop who is very true to traditional Roman Catholic teachings and thus the parochial schools are in line with the Church teachings.  I'd rather have that than risk getting my kids indoctrinated with secular lies in public school.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »

I don't know. I would try for a month. If my kids liked it, I would continue with it. If they felt too uncomfortable. I would either send them to a regular school or home school them. One thing that would play a huge role in my decision though, is whether my kids are taught to do unto others as they would have others do to them. Also, I would make sure that the idea "my doctrine is truer than yours" would not be taught.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
choy
Archon

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 04:22:40 PM »

Also, I would make sure that the idea "my doctrine is truer than yours" would not be taught.

I don't think that would be in any textbook but it would depend on the teacher.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »

They are ROCOR--the Orthodox master race that rejects ecumenical BS.

This made me smile.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »

What about the georgians? They aren't even a member of the WWC.

Indeed. And His Holiness and Beatitude Ilia II, Catholicos and Patriarch of All Georgia is now the senior-ranking Orthodox patriarch, having been on the throne since the 70s.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »

I don't have kids but if I did I would much rather send them to indoctrination into Catholic beliefs than indoctrination into statist beliefs

HOTCA is the master race that rejects ecumenical BS (although ROAC is also a good choice  Wink)

Which HOTCA bishops? Which ROAC?

tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »

Also, I would make sure that the idea "my doctrine is truer than yours" would not be taught.

I don't think that would be in any textbook but it would depend on the teacher.

well in this case, I would warn the teacher.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 05:10:08 PM »

In theory, yes, if I could afford it, but that’s laughable right now.

I once attended the local Catholic high school’s graduation, and the principal actually told the graduates, “I hope you appreciate what your parents sacrificed for you to get a good Catholic education. Just for your high school years, they could have bought three new cars.”

The other religious schools around here are hangovers from the days of segregation academies, and more or less serve to keep the school system segregated even now (even if that is not the intention of the parents who send their children to those schools). The Catholic school system predates all of that by about a hundred years.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: