OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:54:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parsing out Words  (Read 1008 times)
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »

Paraskevi for example. 

Can anyone give me a deeper understanding as to how exactly this word is broken up? 

para + skevw?  meaning...exactly what?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:06:54 PM by serb1389 » Logged

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »

Paraskevi for example. 

Can anyone give me a deeper understanding as to how exactly this word is broken up? 

The Greek word paraskevi means preparation. More specifically, it refers to the processing of raw materials for their further use in manufacture of finished goods. Its use also as the word for Friday reflects its pre-Christian roots as the Day of Preparation, the eve of the Sabbath (Gk: Sabbaton), what we now call Saturday. The connection with the day of Friday is also why Slavic icons of saints called Paraskevi are often also inscribed as Pyatnitsa, the name of the fifth day of the week.

How Paraskevi became used as a woman's name is unclear to me, other than the origins of many names, in practically every culture, are often rooted in occupations, virtues and other personal qualities.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »

ok, so if paraskevi means preparation, how would you parse out "proskomidi" which also means preparation? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:29:47 AM »

ok, so if paraskevi means preparation, how would you parse out "proskomidi" which also means preparation? 
I am sure you are aware of this, but in case you aren't...

ps. Congrats on the baby! Many years - Hronia Polla - Mnogaya Lyeta!!!

1. The Venerable Parasceva [Petka]

This glorious saint was of Serbian descent, and was born in the town of Epivat between Selymbria and Constantinople. St. Parasceva's parents were wealthy, devout Christians. They also had a son, Euthymius, who was tonsured a monk during his parents' lifetime, and later became the famous Bishop of Madytos. The virgin Parasceva always yearned for the ascetic life for the sake of Christ. After her parents' repose, she left her home and went first to Constantinople, then to the wilderness of Jordan, where she lived the ascetic life until old age. Who can express all the labors, sufferings and demonic temptations that St. Parasceva endured in the course of her many years? In her old age, an angel of God once appeared to her and said: ``Leave the wilderness and return to your homeland; it is necessary that you render your body to the earth there, and your soul to the habitation of the Lord.'' St. Parasceva obeyed, and returned to Epivat. There she lived for two years in ceaseless fasting and prayer, then gave up her soul to God and took up her abode in Paradise. St. Parasceva entered into rest in the eleventh century. Over the course of time her relics were translated to Constantinople, to Trnovo, again to Constantinople, and then to Belgrade. Her relics now repose in Romania, in the town of Iasi. In Belgrade, the well of St. Petka miraculously heals the sick who draw near with faith in God and love for this saint.

http://www.westsrbdio.org/prolog/my.html?month=October&day=14&Go.x=15&Go.y=5
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:45:18 PM »

Paraskevi for example. 

παρά + σκευάζω = prepare, make ready. The word family includes σκεύος (vessel) and σκευή (archaic for equipment, kit).

προς + κομίζω = bring towards/forth.

Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »

Thanks! 

κομίζω means to being?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »

Thanks! 

κομίζω means to being?

It means I bring.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:40:02 PM »

Thanks! 

κομίζω means to being?

It means I bring.

That's what I meant...sorry for the typo

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 05:59:26 AM »

This glorious saint was of Serbian descent, and was born in the town of Epivat between Selymbria and Constantinople. St. Parasceva's parents were wealthy, devout Christians. They also had a son, Euthymius, who was tonsured a monk during his parents' lifetime, and later became the famous Bishop of Madytos. The virgin Parasceva always yearned for the ascetic life for the sake of Christ. After her parents' repose, she left her home and went first to Constantinople, then to the wilderness of Jordan, where she lived the ascetic life until old age. Who can express all the labors, sufferings and demonic temptations that St. Parasceva endured in the course of her many years? In her old age, an angel of God once appeared to her and said: ``Leave the wilderness and return to your homeland; it is necessary that you render your body to the earth there, and your soul to the habitation of the Lord.'' St. Parasceva obeyed, and returned to Epivat. There she lived for two years in ceaseless fasting and prayer, then gave up her soul to God and took up her abode in Paradise. St. Parasceva entered into rest in the eleventh century. Over the course of time her relics were translated to Constantinople, to Trnovo, again to Constantinople, and then to Belgrade. Her relics now repose in Romania, in the town of Iasi. In Belgrade, the well of St. Petka miraculously heals the sick who draw near with faith in God and love for this saint.

didn't the relics get distributed over quite a wide area?
i don't think (from what i have heard) there is much left of the body in iasi.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 06:21:31 AM »

κομίζω means to being?

No, it means to take care of or to carry. The latter being the correct one in this context.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:22:04 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 03:13:41 AM »

didn't the relics get distributed over quite a wide area?
i don't think (from what i have heard) there is much left of the body in iasi.
sorry for replying to you just now. Her wholy body is kept in Romania. Here are some pictures 
http://www.myspace.com/svpetkaparaskeva/photos/albums/album/24540
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »

you have to login to see the pictures.  i REFUSE to get a myspace account, even for those pics. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 01:14:01 AM »

I didn't have to log in. Here is a nice video in Romanian with English subtitles.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=y19azLLX6Z8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dy19azLLX6Z8

Link for the pictures http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/Holy_Relics/St._Parascheva/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: