OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:05:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ‘Virtual’ public schools draw interest of religious families  (Read 821 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 10, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »

(RNS) Worried about exposure to foul language, immodest dress, peer pressure, and other inappropriate behavior, Susan Brown didn’t want her two daughters attending public schools — even though she’s a substitute teacher in a public school in Minnesota.

Brown initially home-schooled her daughters until a friend told her about the Minnesota Virtual Academy, an online public school that is fully accredited. She liked the curriculum, and as a single mom relying on substitute teaching income, she preferred how the school provided the supplies instead of having to buy supplies herself as a home-school parent.
Since Florida became the first state to try them in 1996, virtual public schools have enjoyed dramatic growth, with at least some of it coming from religious families. Like home-schooling parents, parents of virtual public school students like having their children home so they can integrate religion and values into the school day.
Virtual schools are different than home schooling in several ways. They are part of the public school system, employ state-certified teachers, administer state assessment tests, and follow standardized curricula. There are also report cards and transcripts.

In a typical week, students spend about 20 to 25 hours on textbook reading and class work, and another five to 10 hours per week attending online classes with a teacher and fellow students.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:03:57 PM »

(RNS) Worried about exposure to foul language, immodest dress, peer pressure, and other inappropriate behavior, Susan Brown didn’t want her two daughters attending public schools — even though she’s a substitute teacher in a public school in Minnesota.

Oh America, so silly...

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Nephi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »

Oh America, so silly...
How's it silly?
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »

What's silly is handing your kids over to strangers for 8-10 hours a day and essentially letting them raise them. It might not be the intention for them to raise them - but if you're doing it some else is forming your child's world for them to a large degree.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

Oh America, so silly...

Have you been through the American public school system?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »

Worried about exposure to foul language, immodest dress, peer pressure, and other inappropriate behavior, Susan Brown didn’t want her two daughters reading the Bible...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:49:31 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »

Worried about exposure to foul language, immodest dress, peer pressure, and other inappropriate behavior, Susan Brown didn’t want her two daughters reading the Bible...

...because it contradicted the Quran?

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »

Because real talk is a scandal to neo-cathari.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:57:34 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »

Because real talk is a scandal to neo-cathari.
'

Is your argument against that particular woman or homeschoolers? And if the latter, have you been through the American public education system?

I have. My schools were fairly good, but there was a breakdown in order which would cause European and Japanese public educators to shake their heads in disbelief.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »

I've been in public schools for 14 years now. It can't be that much different in the US.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »

I've been in public schools for 14 years now. It can't be that much different in the US.

I have never been in Dutch public schools, but I can talk about Omaha Public Schools...the stories I could tell!

I am split on the issue.  There are definite problems with public schools in the US.  But overall, I found it to be a necessary life experience.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »

I don't think Susan Brown is a Muslim.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 03:15:36 PM »

I can only base it on anecdotal evidence, but there are things which go on typically in American public schools regarding student (and teacher) behavior that would not be tolerated in other Western countries.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »

I can only base it on anecdotal evidence, but there are things which go on typically in American public schools regarding student (and teacher) behavior that would not be tolerated in other Western countries.

I'm curious. What are you aiming at?

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »

Is your argument against that particular woman or homeschoolers? And if the latter, have you been through the American public education system?

I have. My schools were fairly good, but there was a breakdown in order which would cause European and Japanese public educators to shake their heads in disbelief.
I have.

My argument is against those who would destroy people by attempting, in vain and in vanity, to protect them from reality through escapist activities. Her reasoning for putting her kids in homeschool did not have to do with educational, economic or social standards, but rather with the vague, puritanical boogiemen of "foul language, immodest dress, peer pressure, and other inappropriate behavior..." Peer pressure being the only quasi-redeemable motive in that group.

The breakdown in order in schools came from educational standards and the goal of an educated society being reduced to passing NCLB-type qurban (for Isa) tests. Not bullies and skanks, so to speak.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:28:50 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »

I have.

My argument is against those who would destroy people by attempting, in vain and in vanity, to protect them from reality through escapist activities. Her reasoning for putting her kids in homeschool did not have to do with educational, economic or social standards, but rather with the vague, puritanical boogiemen of "foul language, immodest dress, peer pressure, and other inappropriate behavior..." Peer pressure being the only quasi-redeemable motive in that group.

The breakdown in order in schools came from educational standards and the goal of an educated society being reduced to passing NCLB-type qurban (for Isa) tests. Not bullies and skanks, so to speak.

I think it precedes No Child Left Behind. I'd like to hear an educational historian's take on it, but it seems to me that today vs. 50 years ago we have 1. more educational options (in wealthier and better-run districts) and 2. more social breakdown in terms of children's behavior and parents' lack of involvement.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »

The French and German exchange students I knew in high school, while they appreciated the freedom in American high school, were quite shocked by the lack of self-discipline and the lack of respect many students had toward teachers.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 03:54:22 PM »

I have.

The thing with foul language, immodest dress, peer pressure, and other inappropriate behaviors, is that these are not boogiemen.  These are real problems.  I saw all of these things in high school, albeit I was the one doing the first one and the second one was one of my favorite parts...but all the same.  Some people don't want to have to deal with these things and would rather have their kids exposed to them in a more fitting environment.  I.e. - on the internet.

As for the educational standard, kids don't learn much in school anyways.  I can name nine teachers who were highly influential on me - two in elem school, three in high school, and four in college.  (Not counting the foreign language teachers in middle school who influenced my dreams for a decade to come...but I digress.)  Otherwise, all the edjukashunal sistim is doing is training obedient robots.  (My anthropology professor pointed this out very well.)  Children are going to have to learn from their parents at home, from their friends, from their own research, and from real world experience.  Anyone who thinks they can send their little genetic clones to school for 8 hours a day and expect them to become useful human beings is going to be disappointed.  
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »

I'm just going to be perfectly honest. American public schools are--for the most part--garbage, unless you attend one of the really high-quality ones in certain rich districts. At least for me, it is at the point where so many students do not even complete their work that if I just complete all of my homework and studying--even if I do a lousy job--my teachers still pass me and give me good grades just for being the only one to do it. I've learned more from watching Discovery channel and hearing my drunken grandparents rant on about life than I have from school.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »

I'm just going to be perfectly honest. American public schools are--for the most part--garbage, unless you attend one of the really high-quality ones in certain rich districts. At least for me, it is at the point where so many students do not even complete their work that if I just complete all of my homework and studying--even if I do a lousy job--my teachers still pass me and give me good grades just for being the only one to do it. I've learned more from watching Discovery channel and hearing my drunken grandparents rant on about life than I have from school.

Is there a better way to learn?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »

...that if I just complete all of my homework

You do your homework?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »

So what do the bumper stickers for these parents look like? "My kids are virtually educated!"  Tongue
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 05:05:13 PM »

The French and German exchange students I knew in high school, while they appreciated the freedom in American high school, were quite shocked by the lack of self-discipline and the lack of respect many students had toward teachers.

Perhaps their teachers in France and Germany nearly all deserved respect...I've had very few public school educators (and I have never attended a private or private-and-religious school) who I felt deserved the respect of their students.  Of course there are notable exceptions.  I can think of teachers I had that I respect (and respected) very much, and teachers I knew - but did not have - who certainly deserved the respect of their students.  However, they were far from the majority.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »

Perhaps their teachers in France and Germany nearly all deserved respect...I've had very few public school educators (and I have never attended a private or private-and-religious school) who I felt deserved the respect of their students.  Of course there are notable exceptions.  I can think of teachers I had that I respect (and respected) very much, and teachers I knew - but did not have - who certainly deserved the respect of their students.  However, they were far from the majority.

I can agree with that assessment. I've had good and wretched teachers. But nevertheless respect should be given even if undeserved.

Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 09:10:30 PM »

Schools in disadvantaged regions get to extreme levels - weapons in school, drugs and drinking, sex and rape, etc. An ex-girlfriend of mine went to an inner-city school where two girls held a third girl down while a guy raped her in the school bathroom.

In more well-off places the schools are much better, but they have other cultural and social issues to deal with.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:11:24 PM by Nephi » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 03:14:54 AM »

This is just silly.  I haven't met a home-schooled child who wasn't overly introverted, and lacking in important social skills.  These kids will face things like immodesty, foul language, drugs, and all the rest when they're older.  I don't see why parents would keep it from them.  They will be unpleasantly surprised when they get out into the real world.

I can only see this being an understandable option (to me, anyway,) if the children are in physical danger.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:18:00 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 03:19:48 AM »

This is just silly.  I haven't met a home-schooled child who wasn't overly introverted, and lacking in important social skills.  These kids will face things like immodesty, foul language, drugs, and all the rest when they're older.  I don't see why parents would keep it from them.  They will be unpleasantly surprised when they get out into the real world.

I can only see this being an understandable option (to me, anyway,) if the children are in physical danger.

While many of those things are true, what I have discovered about homeschooled kids though is that they are usually more intelligent and have more critical thinking skills at a younger age than their peers. My school had about four homeschooled kids who finally went to public school and each of them had the highest grades along with being the most vocal and interested about the subject being taught in the classes.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 03:22:12 AM »

While many of those things are true, what I have discovered about homeschooled kids though is that they are usually more intelligent and have more critical thinking skills at a younger age than their peers. My school had about four homeschooled kids who finally went to public school and each of them had the highest grades along with being the most vocal and interested about the subject being taught in the classes.
I, too, have seen the things you mentioned, though not in all home-schooled kids I've spoken with.  I suppose this is the last place for generalizations.  There are definitely pros and cons.  I would rather my child be prepared for the roughness of the world outside home than have an IQ score higher than their peers...but that's just me.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 03:30:18 AM »

I sort of got the best of both worlds....I was both homeschooled AND attended public and private schools throughout my life  Grin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:30:36 AM by JamesR » Logged

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 03:34:38 AM »

I think it depends very much on where you are in Europe.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »

The differences between public schools in the same region in America can be stark so it can be. You can have schools that are failing to educate students to a satisfactory level, and where disruption, bullying and such happens in almost every class every day and another that looks like a mini college not far away.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »

The differences between public schools in the same region in America can be stark so it can be. You can have schools that are failing to educate students to a satisfactory level, and where disruption, bullying and such happens in almost every class every day and another that looks like a mini college not far away.

Yeah, you can pretty much say anything you want about American schools and there will be one or two somewhere that fit the description.  Are American schools the best in the world?  Probably some.  Are some little better than Khmer rape camps?  Prolly.  Rich, poor, dumb, smart.  All are represented.
Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »

Living right along the border with Kentucky, I know several Kentucky public schools with a large number of illiterate or borderline-illiterate juniors and seniors. I also know of KY schools that are like average Ohio schools. There really is a lot of variety.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:42:33 PM by Nephi » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »

The majority of home-schooled children I've met have turned out to be well-adjusted, polite, articulate, and highly intelligent. Going to public school is no garuntee of acquiring social graces, not by a long shot.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »

The majority of home-schooled children I've met have turned out to be well-adjusted, polite, articulate, and highly intelligent. Going to public school is no garuntee of acquiring social graces, not by a long shot.

He said skills, not graces. They are different.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »

He said skills, not graces. They are different.

The I shall include skills as well. There you go.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: