OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 01:56:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy of St. Gregory the Theologian  (Read 2997 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: January 24, 2012, 08:46:32 PM »

I just thought some people might be interested to know that the Liturgy of St. Gregory the Theologian was celebrated at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of All Saints (Camden Town, London) earlier tonight. H.G. Archbishop Gregorios was in attendance and gave the sermon.

It was a very beautiful service. Although certain parts were Byzantinised, I was surprised at how closely it matched the Coptic usage. I had a Coptic Liturgy book with me and was able to follow along quite well, even though there were differences here and there.

I know St. James' liturgy is celebrated quite widely, and St. Mark's is used in Jordanville if I'm not mistaken, but this is the first time I've heard of the Liturgy of St. Gregory being used in an Eastern Orthodox church. I hope it becomes an annual thing!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:49:05 PM »

By the EO or OO?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »

Huh, interesting Smiley

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »

By the EO or OO?

Greek Orthodox Chathedral of All Saints (Ecumenical Patriarchate)
Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira and Great Britain (Ecumenical Patriarchate)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »

Any idea how a liturgy attributed/named for St. Gregory came to be used by Oriental Orthodox, but not Eastern Orthodox all that much?

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »

Any idea how a liturgy attributed/named for St. Gregory came to be used by Oriental Orthodox, but not Eastern Orthodox all that much?

It's an Alexandrian Liturgy. The Alexandrian rite fell out of use among Eastern Orthodox about a thousand years ago, when the rite of Constantinople became universal. I don't know much about the history of this particular liturgy and its usage though. I'll be happy for someone who knows to enlighten me.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:47:40 PM »

I take it was the Anaphora of St Gregory the Theologian inserted into the Greek Liturgy of St. Mark rather than the Coptic Liturgy?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:43 PM »

Of note, this is one of the few Anaphoras addressed to Christ directly rather than the Father.

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/liturgy/stgregory.pdf

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Interestingly enough, while the Coptic Church has a Liturgy to Saint Gregory the Theologian, the Ethiopian Church has our own Saint Gregory liturgy, however it is to Saint Gregory of Nyssa, brother of Saint Basil.  I wonder the disconnect between Alexandria and Ethiopia, generally speaking we share their literature and prayers, and anything we have that they don't is either an indigenous Ethiopian original or a copy of a foreign text which the Ethiopians themselves translated but which were lost outside of Ethiopia (such as with the Book of Enoch and Jubilees which are still faithfully in the Ethiopian Biblical Canon).  We also have a Liturgy of Saint Gregory the Wonderworker.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 06:19:31 AM »

By the EO or OO?

Greek Orthodox Chathedral of All Saints (Ecumenical Patriarchate)
Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira and Great Britain (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

I meant whether it had been celebrated by the EO clergy or they just had lent Copts their Church?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 06:26:48 AM »

An Alexandrian liturgy celebrated by Greeks in Norway. Now that's random.

Hopefully we'll see a day when it's celebrated by EO Church of Alexandria.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:28:35 AM by Alpo » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 06:46:50 AM »

I meant whether it had been celebrated by the EO clergy or they just had lent Copts their Church?

All the celebrating clergy were from the Thyateira Archdiocese.

An Alexandrian Greek Liturgy celebrated by Cypriots in England.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 09:22:07 AM »

Someone uploaded a few pictures of the Liturgy on their blog.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:24:41 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 09:33:35 AM »

Although the answer seems to be an obvious, "Not very," how often does this sort of thing happen?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 10:12:04 AM »

Although the answer seems to be an obvious, "Not very," how often does this sort of thing happen?

Until last night, the answer was 'never', at least in this country.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 07:44:20 PM »

Wish I had been there, I do.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »

It's an Alexandrian Liturgy. The Alexandrian rite fell out of use among Eastern Orthodox about a thousand years ago, when the rite of Constantinople became universal. I don't know much about the history of this particular liturgy and its usage though. I'll be happy for someone who knows to enlighten me.

You can blame, indirectly, the Vatican, and the creation of Latin Patriarchs of Jerusalem and Antioch during the crusades. The Orthodox patriarchs were driven into exile (under the protection of Byzantium), and when they returned, they brought with them liturgy of Constantinople, which displaced what they were using before.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:14:03 PM by John Larocque » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »

Was there an audio file of this liturgy? I always like a good recording.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »

Was there an audio file of this liturgy? I always like a good recording.   Smiley

Not that I know of, but I'll let you know if I come across anything. I'll post the text that was used when I get hold of it.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »

Thank you!  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »

Hopefully we'll see a day when it's celebrated by EO Church of Alexandria.
Grant it, O Lord!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »

You can blame, indirectly, the Vatican, and the creation of Latin Patriarchs of Jerusalem and Antioch during the crusades. The Orthodox patriarchs were driven into exile (under the protection of Byzantium), and when they returned, they brought with them liturgy of Constantinople, which displaced what they were using before.
No, we can't blame the Vatican for this one.  Thank "Patriarch" Balsamon of Antioch, a Constantinopolitan who never set foot in his patriarchate.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 09:20:12 PM »

Oh.

So, other than getting a bishop's permission, what does one do to resurrect a long-disused rite, especially one still used by those with whom one is out of communion? I ask because I am not averse to the idea, and somewhat support its application within WRO.

And, for that matter, do OOs ever use St. Basil's liturgy?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 06:05:40 AM »

So, other than getting a bishop's permission, what does one do to resurrect a long-disused rite, especially one still used by those with whom one is out of communion? I ask because I am not averse to the idea, and somewhat support its application within WRO.

You're not resurrecting a rite. The Liturgy used was one that is no longer used by the EO, and it followed a different order (as is also the case for St. James' Liturgy), but the rite was Byzantine. Byzantine chant, Byzantine vestments, Byzantine lectionary, small and great entrance, cherubic hymn, etc. The resurrection of an entirely different rite, as happens in the WRO, is quite a different matter.

They have a St. Basil's Liturgy, but it differs from the one we use.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Oh.

Yes we do,

Ethiopian Orthodox Liturgy of Saint Basil

They are not identical, but clearly similar and inspired from a common source.

stay blessed,
habte selasise
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:49:07 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 12:34:35 AM »

Another entry form a different blog:

Because it is no longer held in the Eastern Orthodox Church, the participating clergy and chanters got together to examine the existing books and texts, all of which had adulterations and were lacking in rubrics. We prepared a text which would be useable and practicable on the basis of an edition from Thessaloniki (2010) – which fortunately also included byzantine music scores for the hymns - and also consulted a version by the late and great liturgiologist, Fountoulis, to mention but two sources we referred to.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:35:16 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 07:28:18 AM »

The Liturgy of St. Gregory the Theologian will be celebrated again on Wednesday the 23rd of January, 7pm, this time at the newly consecrated Greek Orthodox Church of SS Panteleimon and Paraskevi in Harrow, London.

Please inform anyone you think might be able to attend.

Tip: For those of you who'd like to follow along in English, bring a Coptic liturgy book with you and you'll be able to follow the bulk of the service as the differences are fairly minor.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »

Perhaps you should give a small hint to the Pope of Alexandria that even today it's really possible to celebrate Alexandrian services instead of Constantinopolitan ones. Wink

Have you/they invited any Copts? It would be interesting to hear their opinions on how different feels to their services.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:15:43 AM by Alpo » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 09:27:58 AM »

Have you/they invited any Copts? It would be interesting to hear their opinions on how different feels to their services.

I don't think anyone has been formally invited, but any Copt reading this is of course most welcome. It will be held in Greek, so not sure how much the average Copt would recognise were they to attend. It is an Alexandrian liturgy, but the rite is still Byzantine - Byzantine chanting, Byzantine vestments, etc. - which has a very different 'feel' from the Coptic rite, even if the text used is more or less the same.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:28:42 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »

Byzantine chanting, Byzantine vestments, etc.

Why couldn't they just ask the nearest Coptic parish whether they could borrow some vestments and cantor? Or were Coptic traditions developed later than that liturgy?

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »

Byzantine chanting, Byzantine vestments, etc.

Why couldn't they just ask the nearest Coptic parish whether they could borrow some vestments and cantor? Or were Coptic traditions developed later than that liturgy?

Because if it ain't Byzantine it ain't good.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 09:52:58 AM »

Why couldn't they just ask the nearest Coptic parish whether they could borrow some vestments and cantor?

Because it's a Byzantine rite Greek Orthodox parish belonging to the Patriarchate of Constantinople, not a Coptic rite parish under the Patriarchate of Alexandria. When we celebrate the Liturgy of St. James we follow the Byzantine rite too, we don't try to reconstruct the rites of 4th century Palestine. Likewise, we celebrate the liturgies of Ss. Basil and John Chrysostom according to modern Byzantine usage, which is quite different from what you would have experienced in Constantinople in their time.

And in any case you can't borrow a cantor from a church which is not in communion with the people he is supposed to be leading in prayer.

Or were Coptic traditions developed later than that liturgy?

This too. There's no reason for an EO church to adopt post-schism OO traditions.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »

Why couldn't they just ask the nearest Coptic parish whether they could borrow some vestments and cantor?

Because it's a Byzantine rite Greek Orthodox parish belonging to the Patriarchate of Constantinople, not a Coptic rite parish under the Patriarchate of Alexandria. When we celebrate the Liturgy of St. James we follow the Byzantine rite too, we don't try to reconstruct the rites of 4th century Palestine. Likewise, we celebrate the liturgies of Ss. Basil and John Chrysostom according to modern Byzantine usage, which is quite different from what you would have experienced in Constantinople in their time.

And in any case you can't borrow a cantor from a church which is not in communion with the people he is supposed to be leading in prayer.

Or were Coptic traditions developed later than that liturgy?

This too. There's no reason for an EO church to adopt post-schism OO traditions.
Thank you for sharing this with us. I recall reading the thread a year ago, but forgot about it until now. Could you post the text they used in London? If it's the same as the Coptic, I'd appreciate that, too. Sadly, the pictures that were posted a year ago are no longer available. :/

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »

Thank you for sharing this with us. I recall reading the thread a year ago, but forgot about it until now. Could you post the text they used in London? If it's the same as the Coptic, I'd appreciate that, too. Sadly, the pictures that were posted a year ago are no longer available. :/

In Christ,
Andrew

I don't have the text they're using. Not sure if it's available anywhere online. I can see if I can get hold of a word document or something from somewhere. I'll ask for the Byzantine notation for the hymns too.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »

I have CDs of the Coptic liturgies of St. Basil and St. Greory the Theologian.

First off, the Coptic liturgy of St. Basil is totally diffrent from the Byantine/Constantinopolitan liturgy of St. Basil.

Second, the Coptic liturgy of St. Gregory the Theologian, on my CD anyway, is the same text as the Coptic liturgy of St. Basil, but just according to different melodies.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »

First off, the Coptic liturgy of St. Basil is totally diffrent from the Byantine/Constantinopolitan liturgy of St. Basil.

Second, the Coptic liturgy of St. Gregory the Theologian, on my CD anyway, is the same text as the Coptic liturgy of St. Basil, but just according to different melodies.

Even the anaphora is the same?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 02:50:11 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 02:51:59 PM »

Even the anaphora is the same?

Not exactly sure. I believe it was.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »

Found the original post with pictures. Apparently they are celebrating it again this year. Cheesy

http://londinoupolis.blogspot.com/2012/01/st-gregory-liturgy-in-london.html?m=0

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »

That shouldn't be the case, the text is very different. The prayers of the Liturgy of St. Gregory are directed at the Son, while those of St. Basil are to the Father.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »

IMO not really comparable since liturgies of Sts. Basil and John developed organically to the present form we now have. If we had continued using liturgy of St. Gregory and it had developed the same way I wouldn't mind hellenization.

I actually agree with this. It's just that I'm not always sure when my own theological ideas stop and when Orthodoxy starts.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 04:26:16 PM »

IMO not really comparable since liturgies of Sts. Basil and John developed organically to the present form we now have. If we had continued using liturgy of St. Gregory and it had developed the same way I wouldn't mind hellenization.

You mean Byzantinisation rather than Hellenisation. The pre-schism Alexandrian rite was no less Greek than the Byzantine one.

My point was that one must separate between rite and liturgy. The use of a particular liturgy does not necessitate the use of a particular rite. Among the EO, the Liturgy of St. James has only been in continuous use in Greece and the Holy Land. A church following the Russian variation of the Byzantine rite won't switch to Byzantine chant when celebrating that liturgy on that account.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »

I found this text online, but haven't looked at it to see how closely it matches the one used in London.
http://www.orthodoxfathers.com/logos/Theia-Leitourgia-tou-en-agiois-Patros-imon-Grigoriou?page=5&%24Version=1&%24Path=%2F
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 01:44:20 AM »

This Liturgy (of St. Gregory the Theologian) was celebrated, I have heard, by Archimandrite John (Lewis) of Holy Theotokos Monastery in Ft. Myers, Florida, in the past. He reposed in 2007 and it hasn't been celebrated since, there, to my knowledge. The monastery property is now back under the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad, its original jurisdiction at its founding. But as a women's monastery dedicated to St. Nicholas.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: