OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:47:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has fate replaced God and free will?  (Read 292 times) Average Rating: 0
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: January 09, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »

I hear people who chose not to marry saying it was not meant to be. I hear others choosing to marry some idiots, and they say it was meant that they would marry idiots. If everything is meant. If the tragedies and blessings in our lives were just meant to be. Where is our free will? and if everything is meant to be. Why should we worry about sinning, when that is meant to be  also? And why should we take any responsibilty if everything is someone else's work?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »

How can someone choose not to marry and say it was or wasnt meant to be? That's there own choice  Huh
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:22:25 PM by Ashman618 » Logged
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »

How can someone choose not to marry and say it was or wasnt meant to be? That's there own choice  Huh

Exactly. But it seems that these day even (and especially) some people who call themselves Orthodox, worship fate instead.

“God has no religion.”
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »

It's just an expression. Or perhaps they want to validate their own personal choices. It would surprise me to learn that they indeed worship fate - whatever that is.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »

It's just an expression. Or perhaps they want to validate their own personal choices. It would surprise me to learn that they indeed worship fate - whatever that is.

fate is when someone else (God) makes it happen. Not you.

“God has no religion.”
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »

So if I don't win the lottery and I shrug and say, "I guess it just wasn't meant to be," I'm worshipping fate. Or God?
Doesn't make any sense.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »

I agree with Katherine.

"It wasn't meant to be." can simply mean that there are things that are out of our control.  And if it is God's will that someone not marry, for whatever reason(s), and they choose to follow the Holy Spirit's leading on that, they can still accurately say that it wasn't meant to be without being fatalistic.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:13:20 PM by KBN1 » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »

The concept of fate is a strong concept with deep cultural roots, albeit those cultural roots are in paganism. Christianity argues against fate. Fate does not rule the world, God does, And God does not coerce anyone, but honors free will.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: