Author Topic: Sealed Under Turkish Mud, a Well-Preserved Byzantine Chapel  (Read 1011 times)

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Sealed Under Turkish Mud, a Well-Preserved Byzantine Chapel
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/08/science/under-turkish-mud-well-preserved-byzantine-chapel.html?_r=5&

DEMRE, Turkey — In the fourth century A.D., a bishop named Nicholas transformed the city of Myra, on the Mediterranean coast of what is now Turkey, into a Christian capital.

After some 800 years as an important pilgrimage site in the Byzantine Empire it vanished — buried under 18 feet of mud from the rampaging Myros River. All that remained was the Church of St. Nicholas, parts of a Roman amphitheater and tombs cut into the rocky hills.

But now, 700 years later, Myra is reappearing.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
Re: Sealed Under Turkish Mud, a Well-Preserved Byzantine Chapel
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:31 AM »
And, of course, the NYT hasn't a clue as to whom St Nicholas of Myra is.

I hope we see more of this discovery, in its proper aspect.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:07:36 PM by Nephi »

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
Is there any mention in the original article about when the church was likely built?

Offline Gunnarr

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
WOW!

Very nice find!

Let us hope there are more discoveries to come! (perhaps under homes though...  :(   )
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Online rakovsky

• Protokentarchos
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »
That's cool. I am glad to see they apparently care about preserving the church ruins. I heard a story by a stranger, who I don't put alot of faith in, claiming he had been on an archeological dig in Saudi Arabia and they found a church and later the government bulldozed it. But still it seems like something their government might do, as the Saudi government doesn't allow churches, with a few "informal" exceptions.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:33:41 PM by rakovsky »

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »
That's cool. I am glad to see they apparently care about preserving the church ruins. I heard a story by a stranger, who I don't put alot of faith in, claiming he had been on an archeological dig in Saudi Arabia and they found a church and later the government bulldozed it. But still it seems like something their government might do, as the Saudi government doesn't allow churches, with a few "informal" exceptions.

Tourism is part of Turkeys economy, no tourist has any reason to be in the Asian side other than these sites so its in their economic interest to preserve them.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:03:03 PM »
I doubt that it would get bulldozed.  They are of extreme historical significance to the Turkish people, and the history of the land which is now Turkey.  The few Turks I've talked to tell me that Turkey is a largely secular country, with few religious Muslims.  I don't know if the discovery of an "infidel" house of prayer is that big of a threat to Turkey.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:03:28 PM by trevor72694 »

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Bulgaria
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
The few Turks I've talked to tell me that Turkey is a largely secular country, with few religious Muslims.

By "secular" and "religious" they don't necessarily mean the same as we do.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:36 AM »
By "secular" and "religious" they don't necessarily mean the same as we do.

My thoughts when I am reading that Christianity is no longer a dominant factor in the USA.