OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 07:20:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sealed Under Turkish Mud, a Well-Preserved Byzantine Chapel  (Read 705 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: January 09, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/08/science/under-turkish-mud-well-preserved-byzantine-chapel.html?_r=5&

DEMRE, Turkey — In the fourth century A.D., a bishop named Nicholas transformed the city of Myra, on the Mediterranean coast of what is now Turkey, into a Christian capital.

After some 800 years as an important pilgrimage site in the Byzantine Empire it vanished — buried under 18 feet of mud from the rampaging Myros River. All that remained was the Church of St. Nicholas, parts of a Roman amphitheater and tombs cut into the rocky hills.

But now, 700 years later, Myra is reappearing.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:31 AM »

And, of course, the NYT hasn't a clue as to whom St Nicholas of Myra is.

I hope we see more of this discovery, in its proper aspect.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »

Fascinating! And icons, too:

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2013/01/08/science/08MYRA3.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:07:36 PM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »

Is there any mention in the original article about when the church was likely built?
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

WOW!

Very nice find!

Let us hope there are more discoveries to come! (perhaps under homes though...  Sad   )

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »

That's cool. I am glad to see they apparently care about preserving the church ruins. I heard a story by a stranger, who I don't put alot of faith in, claiming he had been on an archeological dig in Saudi Arabia and they found a church and later the government bulldozed it. But still it seems like something their government might do, as the Saudi government doesn't allow churches, with a few "informal" exceptions.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:33:41 PM by rakovsky » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »

That's cool. I am glad to see they apparently care about preserving the church ruins. I heard a story by a stranger, who I don't put alot of faith in, claiming he had been on an archeological dig in Saudi Arabia and they found a church and later the government bulldozed it. But still it seems like something their government might do, as the Saudi government doesn't allow churches, with a few "informal" exceptions.

Tourism is part of Turkeys economy, no tourist has any reason to be in the Asian side other than these sites so its in their economic interest to preserve them.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:03:03 PM »

I doubt that it would get bulldozed.  They are of extreme historical significance to the Turkish people, and the history of the land which is now Turkey.  The few Turks I've talked to tell me that Turkey is a largely secular country, with few religious Muslims.  I don't know if the discovery of an "infidel" house of prayer is that big of a threat to Turkey.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:03:28 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »

The few Turks I've talked to tell me that Turkey is a largely secular country, with few religious Muslims.

By "secular" and "religious" they don't necessarily mean the same as we do.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:36 AM »

By "secular" and "religious" they don't necessarily mean the same as we do.

My thoughts when I am reading that Christianity is no longer a dominant factor in the USA.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: