OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 02:51:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I Love Alabama Football  (Read 503 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: January 07, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »

I have always been someone who pulls for the “underdog,” therefore it may seem strange that I am such a huge Alabama football fan. But my sympathies for the “underdog” go much deeper than sports. They are rooted in my passion for justice, equality, and truth. The people of the state of Alabama have suffered from the social upheavals of segregation, economic depression, and cultural prejudices. And their suffering has been compounded by unfair and misinformed stereotypes promoted by the national media.

As a state, Alabama certainly has its history of inhumanity, injustice, and sins. But to isolate Alabama as an island of social injustice amidst a shining sea of American utopianism is historically inaccurate and grossly unfair. The people of Alabama – White and Black together – have struggled collectively to overcome the sins of the past. Through the cornerstones of confession, forgiveness, and unconditional love, Alabamians have demonstrated a spiritual and cultural resilience that is well represented by the statue of Vulcan (the Roman god of steel) which overlooks the city of Birmingham. But perhaps nothing is more emblematic of the state’s spiritual and cultural progress than a stadium of 100,000 people of all races and diverse socio-economic status cheering for their beloved football team – a team comprised of White and Black players and coaches.

The legendary Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant played no small role in Alabama’s cultural transition. Bryant left his coaching job at the University of Kentucky because he abhorred its racist basketball coach Adolph Rupp. After coaching Texas A&M for a few years, Bear Bryant became the head coach at Alabama in 1958. During the next three decades, he led the Crimson Tide to 6 National Championships, three of them with integrated teams. Throughout the social turmoil of the 60’s, Coach Bryant refused to bow to the demands of racist politicians. He refused to allow the culture of segregation to determine his values or dictate his coaching ethics. Against pressure not to do so, Bear Bryant recruited two African American players in 1970: John Mitchell and Wilbur Jackson. Mitchell was the first African American to play in a football game for the Crimson Tide, and Wilbur Jackson became one of the greatest running backs in Alabama history. Another little known fact is that Alabama’s basketball coach, C.M. Newton, had also recruited an African American athlete – Wendell Hudson – that same year.

But in spite of these realities, the media perpetuated the shameful lie that Coach Bryant did not want to recruit Black players until BAMA was easily defeated by USC in 1970. Southern Cal was led by running back Sam Cunningham, an African American, who rushed for 135 yards and scored two touchdowns against the TIDE. The myth is that after Bear Bryant witnessed the prowess of Sam Cunningham, he decided that he needed to recruit Black players in order for Alabama to remain competitive. In other words, Coach Bryant was unfairly portrayed as a racially insensitive individual who was a pure pragmatist that viewed Black athletes as mere commodities that could help him win football games. While this myth weaves a provocative story and conveniently fits every negative stereotype about Alabama, the truth is quite the opposite, and actually far more interesting.

As I mentioned, Bear Bryant recruited two African American players in 1970, and they were both members of the football team when BAMA faced USC and the great Sam Cunningham that year. The only reason they weren’t on the field is because freshmen were ineligible to play at that time. The truth is that Bear Bryant had not only already recruited Wilbur Jackson, but he had also convinced USC coach John McKay to schedule the game between the TIDE and the Trojans in order to help advance race relations in Alabama. Coach Bryant presciently understood the power of football to help eliminate racial prejudices and accelerate social healing. This is the part of Bear Bryant’s genius that is sadly overlooked, even by those who rightly acknowledge his unparalleled coaching skills. 

Rather than allowing himself to be co-opted by political agendas, Coach Bryant instead focused on teaching core values that are essential for all people in all walks of life. Teamwork, brotherhood, individual and collective effort, discipline, preparation, and equality were the principles he imbued in his players, his coaches, and his teams. Rather than using football as a political platform (as political extremists wanted him to do), Coach Bryant chose to simply be a teacher and a coach. And by being a teacher and a coach, Bear Bryant instilled indispensible principles that indelibly molded his players’ character on and off the field. The Bear famously said, “I don’t have White players, I don’t have Black players. I just have football players.” Can there be a more succinct and profound statement of equality than this?

So, as someone who is endeared to the “underdog,” I feel a profound allegiance to Alabama football. I have utmost respect for a football program that represents the profound heart, soul, and values of a collective people and an entire state. I have deep sympathy for a University, a people, and a team that continues to be maligned, mocked, and disparaged for the sins of its past. And nothing is more indicative of true character than proving you can win in spite of the money, the media, and the myths that are all levied against you. 

Presently, we have a coach - Nick Saban - who embodies the principles and spirit of Alabamians. Coach Saban emphasizes discipline, honesty, work ethic, integrity – and perhaps most importantly – the two mantras that he incessantly echoes: “Focus on the process,” and “overcome adversity.” An whether it’s the process of forging iron in the furnaces of Birmingham’s steel mills, or overcoming the adversity of segregation and racial injustice, Alabamians understand that their current football coach represents their values and struggles quite well.

Coach Saban came to Alabama at time when our football program was at its ebb. We were becoming the laughingstock of college football. We had been through scandals, losing seasons, and NCAA probations. Our once proud program was at its nadir. The BAMA haters were rejoicing. The national media couldn’t spend enough time discussing how Alabama football was finished. But there was one man who understood what Alabama football is about. And that man was not even a Southerner. He was from West Virginia. However, true and lasting values are not limited to locality; they are universal and timeless. And Nick Saban was raised in West Virginia by the same values and the same work ethic that permeates the people of Alabama. So, he was up to the challenge; and he knew that his principles and standards would be welcomed and embraced in Tuscaloosa and beyond.

Nick Saban brought Alabama our 13th National Championship in only his third season as head coach. Last year (2011), he led us to National Championship #14. And tonight we will play for another National Championship against another storied football program- the University of Notre Dame. But regardless of the outcome this evening, it is clear that Alabama is unquestionably a proven winner – as a football program, as a university, as a state, and as a collective people.

I am a son of the South, and the South is still my home today. My childhood heroes were Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Muhammad Ali. Those men defined justice, character, and perseverance. I am a White man who has been married to an African American woman for 16 years. We have three beautiful children. My late mother-in-law worked as Bear Bryant’s secretary while she was earning her Master’s Degree from the University of Alabama. My mother-in-law was a brilliant woman who was an excellent judge of character. She told me that Coach Bryant was one of the finest people she had ever known, and that there was not racist bone in his body.

I loved Alabama football as a child, and admittedly for many childish reasons. I loved their uniforms. I loved their fight song. I loved the wishbone offense. But I also loved and admired Walter Lewis, the great Alabama quarterback who was one of the few African American QB’s playing in the early 80’s. In spite of criticism from a few fans, Coach Bryant did not hesitate to make him the starter. As much as anything else, Walter Lewis is the reason why I am an Alabama fan today.

There will always be those who prefer myth to fact. There will always be those who choose perception over reality. There will always be those who disparage excellence while they wallow in mediocrity. But I admire those that embrace the truth and are willing to alter their opinions and lives accordingly. I admire true winners – not because winning comes naturally to them, but because they are willing to embrace the principles, values, and character that are essential to enduring success both on and off the field.   

Alabama fans are not just fans. We are a family. We are one. We embrace each other and we love one another. We are Black and White. We are rich and poor. We are University alumni and we are blue collar diehards. We know our past but we embrace our future. We wear our BAMA colors with the understanding that this deep Crimson represents depth of suffering, depth of struggle, depth of pain, depth of character, depth of resilience, and depth of our indomitable spirit. We do not strive to win merely for “bragging rights.” We strive to win in order to prove that the universal values of hard work, brotherhood, perseverance, and integrity can never be permanently extinguished.

It is impossible to have a tradition of excellence without tradition. And tradition stands the test of time because it is forged by timeless values. At Alabama, we did not create our tradition; we gave birth to it through trials and tribulations, through blood and sweat, through failures and redemption. This Crimson Tide may ebb and flow, but it can never be permanently repressed.

ROLL TIDE!

By
GEBRE MENFES KIDUS
(AKA “TideMan”)

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »

I particularly liked it when Bear Bryant put Forrest Gump on his team. Smiley

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »

tl;dr

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:19:42 AM »

If you were truly for the underdog, you would root for Auburn. Wink

That said, my mother, a woman of rare discernment and intelligence, had the opportunity to meet Coach Bryant on numerous occasions at banquets and fundraisers, and found him to be a gentleman with an excellent repertoire of self-deprecating and funny stories.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:22:42 AM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:05:39 AM »

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:08:55 AM »

Does Alabama's logo look more like a baseball logo than a football one to anyone else?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 01:12:13 AM »

Does Alabama's logo look more like a baseball logo than a football one to anyone else?
You mean, like an Atlanta Braves logo?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 01:16:16 AM »

Or the Oakland Athletics, who also have an A, and a circle with their name around the A.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:16:54 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 02:22:03 AM »

Inappropriate image removed  -PtA

Y'all done been Sabanized!!  Rooooooooollll Tide!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:47:07 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 02:52:21 AM »

Inappropriate image removed  -PtA

Y'all done been Sabanized!!  Rooooooooollll Tide!!

LOL! Of course, since I'm not Protestant I'll say "Pachyderms Sabanized pedophiles!"

Selam
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:47:27 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 03:03:52 AM »

ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!  
 ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!  

Selam
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:04:29 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »

Hey Notre Dame, this is how football is played in the SEC.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 12:23:17 PM »

It's a beautiful morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BkJh-bi-to

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:17 PM »

Great!

What a fantastic game - Alabama was simply awesome. My 86 yr old mother stayed up to watch the entire game with us - she was so tired, she was still in bed when I took her breakfast this morning (and she's an Auburn fan!).

St. John Chrysostom
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »

Now y'all don't drop the trophy this time  Grin
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church of  N.A.; New England Diocese

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »

ROLL TIDE!!!   Been a BAMA fan since I went to Spring Hill College in Mobile AL, in the '60's.  Since we didn't have a football team, every student had to choose a team ( Bama or Auburn were the only choices!!) to support.  With Coach Bear Bryant there, how could you choose Auburn!?
Gebre, you mentioned Birmingham and the Vulcan statue. My wife and I lived in Birmingham AL for three years and  I remember the work done on Vulcan's statue and the base.  Yes, Vulcan does look over Birmingham, but his backside faces the town of Homewood!  There are some big laughs about the view from Homewood.... Somewhere I have some funny pictures of the view...
Speaking of Birmingham, there is a wonderful Greek Orthodox Church there, Holy Trinity/Holy Cross, a combined parish which because of its growth, may have to split back up!  The priest was Father Paul, but he may have retired by now.  What a joy to hear him speak! 
  Blesings to all.
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »

And one more comment: Gebre, what a wonderful post concerning Alabama.  Although I was born in Michigan and lived most of my life in Mass., I always consider Alabama my second home.  You can find wonderful people, beautiful scenery and tourist spots, fantastic places to hunt and fish (brook trout in the Black Warrior River near Jasper, to red drums in the Gulf), and geology from the mountains to the coastal plain.  I love Bama and pray for everyone there.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »

The priest was Father Paul, but he may have retired by now. 

You will be delighted to hear that Fr. Paul is still going strong, and shows no signs of retiring or even slowing down!

St. John Chrysostom
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »

The priest was Father Paul, but he may have retired by now. 

You will be delighted to hear that Fr. Paul is still going strong, and shows no signs of retiring or even slowing down!
Katherine: Thanks for that happy report, Fr. Paul is remarkable!  My wife and I moved from B'ham to Jax in 2005; yet when we visited B'ham in 2010 and attended liturgy at Holy Trinity, he still remembered my name!   BTW, do you attend the OCA parish on Clairmont Ave., near St. Vincent's Hospital campus?   I always admired the mosaic icon on the front of the church.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 03:35:32 AM »

Thanks Katherine and SubDeacon Bob! Roll Tide!

And Asteriktos: Yes, we will try not to break this trophy. But with so many, it's hard not trip over one. Wink

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »

But with so many, it's hard not trip over one. Wink

Perfect!  Grin

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »

BTW, do you attend the OCA parish on Clairmont Ave., near St. Vincent's Hospital campus?   I always admired the mosaic icon on the front of the church.

Actually I live in Atlanta and attend this parish: http://saintjohnwonderworker.org

St. John Chrysostom
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »

tl;dr.

Keep sacrificing your children to Alabamalon.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »

tl;dr.

Keep sacrificing your children to Alabamalon.

Writing this down.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: