OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:21:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox vs Catholic Debate  (Read 2768 times) Average Rating: 0
domNoah

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of San Bernadino

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 12:28:01 AM »

Are there even Roman Catholics out there anymore who take their beliefs seriously enough to actually debate Orthodoxy instead of taking the ecumenical approach? From my experience with Roman Catholics in person, they seem very ecumenical and somewhat uninformed upon our differences when I tell them that I am Orthodox.

Well, there's two approaches Catholics make.  One is the, "we're the same faith expressed differently and only politics separates us."  The other is, "you are heretic schismatics and everything you say is false because you are not in communion with the Pope."

I am Catholic and I don't take that approach.

"I hope that when you come to die your last breath may utter that name of Jesus with deep confidence, and that our Lord will answer your dying sigh with an affectionate welcome into his heavenly court." http://tinyurl.com/agubd5u

http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 12:30:15 AM »

Are there even Roman Catholics out there anymore who take their beliefs seriously enough to actually debate Orthodoxy instead of taking the ecumenical approach? From my experience with Roman Catholics in person, they seem very ecumenical and somewhat uninformed upon our differences when I tell them that I am Orthodox.

Well, there's two approaches Catholics make.  One is the, "we're the same faith expressed differently and only politics separates us."  The other is, "you are heretic schismatics and everything you say is false because you are not in communion with the Pope."

Pray tell Noah are you a dominican brother?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 12:35:13 AM »

Perhaps I am not following the thread (in question) closely enough, but I don't think any lasting animosity need remain from that. Schultz is a bit acerbic at times, but nonetheless a stand up guy. When he resigned as mod of the Catholic section I don't remember only positive comments from every side regarding the job he had done. I say this not to say you're wrong, only that I'd hate for this thing to be an obstacle moving forward, even in discussions with Schultz himself. I guess maybe it's corny to play peace keeper, but that's my 2 cents. Smiley

It's not corny, but it's pretty predictable. Basically the usual If-you-have-a-problem,then-you-must-be-reading-in-something-that-isn't-there-or etc. etc. Forgive me for saying that it has gotten a little old.

I apologize, my post was not meant to be of the "you're wrong and he's right" type, or to imply something along the lines of "you're seeing things that aren't there". I just meant that he was a good guy and it seemed like it'd just be good to not worry about past issues like that. Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 08:39:58 AM »

Well said.

Oh, wait, for a second I thought we were talking about the Fourth Crusade.  laugh

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »

I'm sure many on this thread will remember the thread called (I think) "Why do Protestants convert to Orthodoxy rather than Catholicism?" That title makes it sound like Catholics don't do very well in relation to protestants; but I believe we do -- not withstanding the obvious differences and painful memories, because we don't take an attitude of, Let's pray that protestants be kept away from [fill in Catholic places].

domNoah

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »

No, I am brother in the CPMO. 

"I hope that when you come to die your last breath may utter that name of Jesus with deep confidence, and that our Lord will answer your dying sigh with an affectionate welcome into his heavenly court." http://tinyurl.com/agubd5u

choy
Archon

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46:51 AM »

Good for you.  There is a priest I know who operates an apologetics blog which is essentially a blog to berate anyone who is not Catholic.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 04:56:47 AM »

Are there some good, modern RC apologetics against Ortodoxy out there that someone could link me to? Something with divorce, contraception or a long list of quotes in it doesn't count.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 05:07:09 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »

Huh

Is that the Corporate Project Management Office? Grin

Or...Christi Pauperum Militum Ordo?

Not that I know the difference  Cool Cool.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
domNoah

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »

Huh

Wink Christi Pauperum Militum Ordo, we also go by the Milita Templi.
We are the only Canonically recognized "Knights Templar", we do not claim to be descended from the Ancient Order but our Rule of Life is based off the ancient rule.

Here is a mostly accurate article on us in Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_Templi

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:48:14 PM by domNoah » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »

Well said.

Oh, wait, for a second I thought we were talking about the Fourth Crusade.  laugh

If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »

Good for you.  There is a priest I know who operates an apologetics blog which is essentially a blog to berate anyone who is not Catholic.
Father Z?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »

Father Z?
That's who you thought of?

choy
Archon

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »

Father Z?

No.  This one is anti-sspx though he is pro-tradition.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »

Father Z?
He's quite a character. Sort of a Barney Rubble meets Chronicles of Riddick.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »

Father Z?
He's quite a character. Sort of a Barney Rubble meets Chronicles of Riddick.
It had been a little while since I read his blog, so I said to myself "If I'm going to defend him, better brush up a little first." Just looking at the titles of his recent bloggings didn't grab my attention, so then I googled eastern site:wdtprs.com/blog/

At the top of the list was "Bartholomew I to Eastern Catholics: return to Orthodoxy without ...". I was intrigued enough to click on the link to find out what the rest of the title was, (wondering if it was "without looking back" or something).

Then when I saw the full title I thought "Oh, not that old business." But that's not to say that I'm giving up on defending him. (And of course, Fr. Z doesn't control which result Google puts at the top. Smiley)

LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »

From the abovementioned blog:

Also, it is evident now that the Orthodox, for whom identity and liturgy are so very closely aligned, are fully aware that they will be soon pressed hard indeed by Islam.  Therefore, a stronger friendship with Rome, in the culture/identity/survival struggle to come will be of great benefit.

Fr Z seems to have forgotten the small matter of Ottoman conquest of most of Orthodox Europe for a good four centuries. Islam did not, and could not, destroy Orthodoxy, any more than Soviet atheism could.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:30 PM »

From the abovementioned blog:

Also, it is evident now that the Orthodox, for whom identity and liturgy are so very closely aligned, are fully aware that they will be soon pressed hard indeed by Islam.  Therefore, a stronger friendship with Rome, in the culture/identity/survival struggle to come will be of great benefit.

Fr Z seems to have forgotten the small matter of Ottoman conquest of most of Orthodox Europe for a good four centuries. Islam did not, and could not, destroy Orthodoxy, any more than Soviet atheism could.

And a fat lot of good "a stronger friendship with Rome" did us at those times we tried rapprochement after the schism to fight the Turks and Mohammedans. The papacy has always thought more of its spiritual and temporal power than could ever be demonstrated in reality.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »

Reading Fr Z's blog has reminded of something else: it always seems a trifle strange to me when traditionalist Catholics cite Fr. Taft against the Orthodox. I mean, isn't Taft super liberal, at least from the traditionalist Catholic pov?

choy
Archon

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2013, 10:57:03 PM »

Reading Fr Z's blog has reminded of something else: it always seems a trifle strange to me when traditionalist Catholics cite Fr. Taft against the Orthodox. I mean, isn't Taft super liberal, at least from the traditionalist Catholic pov?

In what sense?

Maybe in the same sense that traddies say that the Mass should only be in Latin, but won't complain about an English Divine Liturgy.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:57:51 PM by choy » Logged
Jules_Grant
Anglo-Catholic with Byzantine theology turned Western-rite Orthodox Catholic

Faith: Western-rite Orthodox Catholicism (Anglo-Catholicism with Byzantine theology)

Virgin of virgins, pray for us.

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2013, 11:08:10 PM »

In what sense?

Maybe in the same sense that traddies say that the Mass should only be in Latin, but won't complain about an English Divine Liturgy.

When I attended a Roman Catholic church as one, I never heard the mass in Latin. Personally, in the Eastern Catholic church, the Divine Liturgy is far more beautiful and rich than the highest solemn mass at the Vatican (I've seen many).

I happen to feel traditionalist Catholics focus on the differences, not the similarities towards the faiths. East and West are simply liturgically, but we all grew out of similar doctrine.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:11:18 PM by Jules_Grant » Logged

"Those who fear the Lord do not disobey his words, and those who love him keep his ways."
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2013, 11:42:15 PM »

In what sense?

Good question ... general liberalness, I guess (don't quote me on that).

Maybe.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2013, 11:11:12 AM »

But that's not to say that I'm giving up on defending him.

Well ... maybe I am.

I just finished reading this page, The Russians aren’t coming! The Russians aren’t coming! At the risk of sounding cliche, I have to say: Wow. (No, I don't mean "Wow, the Russian are not coming?" but wow at what's said on that page. Don't read it if you're highly sensitive or have a weak heart.  Cool)

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »

Well ... maybe I am.

I just finished reading this page, The Russians aren’t coming! The Russians aren’t coming! At the risk of sounding cliche, I have to say: Wow. (No, I don't mean "Wow, the Russian are not coming?" but wow at what's said on that page. Don't read it if you're highly sensitive or have a weak heart.  Cool)

The worst part of the link was reading people's opinions in which they consider themselves experts on but yet insist on calling Ukraine "the Ukraine".  Gruff!

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2013, 11:26:55 AM »

Huh

Wink Christi Pauperum Militum Ordo, we also go by the Milita Templi.
We are the only Canonically recognized "Knights Templar", we do not claim to be descended from the Ancient Order but our Rule of Life is based off the ancient rule.

Here is a mostly accurate article on us in Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_Templi

Kind of like opus dei in a sense that it is a lay organisation but has priests and professed and laity?  Yes I know what Opus Dei is and not the Dan Brown version either Smiley

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »

people's opinions in which they consider themselves experts
The entire blog-world, unfortunately.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2013, 12:19:24 PM »

Well ... maybe I am.

The worst part of the link was reading people's opinions in which they consider themselves experts on but yet insist on calling Ukraine "the Ukraine".  Gruff!

Yeah I noticed that too. (I can also think of a lot of other things on that page that bothered me.)

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: