OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 01:36:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox vs Catholic Debate  (Read 3068 times) Average Rating: 0
What is the Light

Faith: Trying to figure my religion out
Jurisdiction: Don't have one

« on: January 08, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »

Hi all:

I'm trying to find Orthodox vs Catholic debates. I can not find any. I would be most thankful if any one could direct me to one.

More specifically I'm looking for a debate on the validity of the Papacy.

Thanks

choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:42:29 PM »

You mean actual intellectual debates or senseless internet debates?  Grin
What is the Light

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »

I mean actual intellectual debates.  Smiley
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »

Do you want them from the Orthodox or the Catholic viewpoint?

I believe Catholic strongman Dave Armstrong has some interesting debates on his website, if you don't mind that he always wins. Wink (http://socrates58.blogspot.com/2006/11/orthodoxy-eastern-index-page.html)

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:03:28 PM »

Do you mean textual debates or recorded debates?
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:10:23 PM »

Do you want them from the Orthodox or the Catholic viewpoint?

I believe Catholic strongman Dave Armstrong has some interesting debates on his website, if you don't mind that he always wins. Wink (http://socrates58.blogspot.com/2006/11/orthodoxy-eastern-index-page.html)

I really don't enjoy internet blog-debates like these at all, even similar Orthodox ones.

They just seem like a way for people to try to "win."
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »

Text: Catholic vs. Orthodox.

(Ignore the statue of Jesus: it's actually located in a parish of the Church of Denmark, which is Lutheran.)

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »

I mean actual intellectual debates.  Smiley

Oh, okay, I don't have any of those  Grin Grin Grin
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 05:14:57 AM »

If you want to read some semi-polemical but erudite works of a traditionalist Catholic on Orthodoxy I recommend Adrian Fortescue's Orthodox Eastern Church and The Greek Fathers. Some of the scholarship is a little bit outdated, but those books are nice reads even for those who don't know much about theology.

There's an interesting chapter in the Orthodox Eastern Church about the differences in faith between EOC and RCC from page 361 onwards. Anyway, both books should be read in its entirety, I think.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:30:09 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 05:30:47 AM »

For an Orthodox treatment of history around the schism, I'd recommend The Christian East and the Rise of the Papacy authored by Aristeides Papadakis in collaboration with Fr. John Meyendorff. The book is not designed as a refutation, but it does wind up refuting many arguments made by Roman Catholic apologists who often make arguments which are far from historically accurate.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:31:52 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 05:35:58 AM »

Are there even Roman Catholics out there anymore who take their beliefs seriously enough to actually debate Orthodoxy instead of taking the ecumenical approach? From my experience with Roman Catholics in person, they seem very ecumenical and somewhat uninformed upon our differences when I tell them that I am Orthodox.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 05:40:16 AM »

Are there even Roman Catholics out there anymore who take their beliefs seriously enough to actually debate Orthodoxy instead of taking the ecumenical approach? From my experience with Roman Catholics in person, they seem very ecumenical and somewhat uninformed upon our differences when I tell them that I am Orthodox.

Why not read the books I linked to?  angel

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 05:43:27 AM »

Well, Fortescue has long since passed away, and there does seem to be an appreciable loss of quality in Roman Catholic apologetics these days.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:49:03 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 05:44:49 AM »

Well, Fortescue has long since passed away, and there does seem to be an appreciable loss of quality in Roman Catholic apologetics these days.

I agree. The RC's are quite scared that they'll slow down the ecumenical process if they write apologetics against Orthodoxy. And besides, to take on Orthodoxy one would need a lot of historical, theological and philosophical knowledge. Protestantism is a much easier target.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:46:21 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 05:54:48 AM »

I agree. The RC's are quite scared that they'll slow down the ecumenical process if they write apologetics against Orthodoxy. And besides, to take on Orthodoxy one would need a lot of historical, theological and philosophical knowledge. Protestantism is a much easier target.

That being said, there are plenty of Roman Catholics who take their faith seriously enough to try to argue that Orthodoxy is wrong and Catholicism is right. Unfortunately, they almost always use florilegia as their primary apologetic tool, which really is the lowest and least interesting form of apologetics.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 06:18:23 AM »

florilegia

+1 for using one of my favorite words...

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 09:18:50 AM »

Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »

Roll Eyes

'Tis true.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
choy
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »

Well, there's two approaches Catholics make.  One is the, "we're the same faith expressed differently and only politics separates us."  The other is, "you are heretic schismatics and everything you say is false because you are not in communion with the Pope."
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »

I dunno, there's Dave Armstrong and James Likoudis.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »

"Somewhat uninformed"??

I'm surprised they don't ask you which synagogue you attend.

There are sooo many more Catholics in this country than there are Orthodox that I'm willing to bet most Catholics don't even know what Orthodoxy is.  I'd also be willing to bet that most of the ones who do know what Orthodoxy is only have a passing familiarity with it and probably aren't all that interested in it anyway.  And of the ones who have some real interest in it and even have more than a passing familiarity with it, I'd be willing to bet that many would be ecumenical in the sense of accepting Orthodoxy as a sister faith to Catholicism or some such thing.  And then there's all those folks on the internets.  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »

Well, there's two approaches Catholics make.  One is the, "we're the same faith expressed differently and only politics separates us."  The other is, "you are heretic schismatics and everything you say is false because you are not in communion with the Pope."

And then there's all those Orthodox who say of us Catholics,  "you are heretic schismatics and everything you say is false because you are not in communion with the Pope."

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
choy
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »

And then there's all those Orthodox who say of us Catholics,  "you are heretic schismatics and everything you say is false because you are not in communion with the Pope."

Yes, it is a two way street.  I don't think there's anyone denying that here.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »

I dunno, there's Dave Armstrong and James Likoudis.

Likoudis is a great apologist for Orthodoxy, with his many sophistries and his generally patronizing demeanor. His vomit always serves to strengthen my faith in Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:58:55 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »

Yes, it is a two way street.  I don't think there's anyone denying that here.

Excellent!

Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 02:23:42 PM »

I have this book to read, it is by an Orthodox priest and professor. (This is not exactly the debate you asked for, but maybe this might be helpful?)

It is supposed to be fair to the Roman Catholic side, from the reviews.

His Broken Body: Understanding and Healing the Schism between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches by
Laurent Cleenewerck

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357755710&sr=8-1&keywords=his+broken+body
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:24:36 PM by Adela » Logged
What is the Light

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »

Do you mean textual debates or recorded debates?

I was hoping for a recording on YouTube, but I'm thankful for anything.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »

And then there's whatever I am these days.......tired, I guess.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 03:29:23 PM »

I have this book to read, it is by an Orthodox priest and professor. (This is not exactly the debate you asked for, but maybe this might be helpful?)

It is supposed to be fair to the Roman Catholic side, from the reviews.

His Broken Body: Understanding and Healing the Schism between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches by
Laurent Cleenewerck

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357755710&sr=8-1&keywords=his+broken+body
I bought that on my Kindle. I thought it was a pretty good read, and did seem to be pretty fair to our side even though it was written by an Eastern Orthodox Priest.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »

For an Orthodox treatment of history around the schism, I'd recommend The Christian East and the Rise of the Papacy authored by Aristeides Papadakis in collaboration with Fr. John Meyendorff. The book is not designed as a refutation, but it does wind up refuting many arguments made by Roman Catholic apologists who often make arguments which are far from historically accurate.

Love that book. Dry as dust, but interesting as all get-out.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »

Both approaches are fatally flawed, but the former is a lot more annoying.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
choy
Archon

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »

Both approaches are fatally flawed, but the former is a lot more annoying.

Admittedly most aren't really aware of the issues.  When I became Eastern Catholic I was even dismissed as a "non-practicing Catholic" because I wasn't Roman Catholic anymore.  By the head of Parish Catechesis!  Of course the more learned ones do know the complexity of the issue, but the greater majority don't and would just think anyone who isn't Roman Catholic is Protestant (they also probably don't know the difference between a JW and an Evangelical).
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 08:06:48 PM »

And then there's whatever I am these days.......tired, I guess.

Smiley  Preaching to the choir, my friend!  Cool

Ignatius II

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »

If you haven't already, you might listen to Fr. Stephen Damick's Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy on AFR or just buy the book.  He gives a lengthy discussion about the differences between Catholicism and Orthodoxy as well as the differences with other religions.  Obviously, it is pro-Orthodox so not entirely objective, but he gives a very good and interesting discussion between the different faiths.  He makes some very good points and is a very good speaker.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

Are there even Roman Catholics out there anymore who take their beliefs seriously enough to actually debate Orthodoxy instead of taking the ecumenical approach?

It's a little hard to believe that this is a serious question; but assuming it is, the answer is Yes.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

Are there even Roman Catholics out there anymore who take their beliefs seriously enough to actually debate Orthodoxy instead of taking the ecumenical approach?
It's a little hard to believe that this is a serious question; but assuming it is, the answer is Yes.
I agree. It was kind of a rude question.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »

I agree. It was kind of a rude question.

Or naive.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »

I've always felt that the International Orthodox-Roman Catholic dialogue should issue papers of the debates between the churches, forthrightly, yet respectfully articulating the positions of both churches.  Instead, they issue statements with the intent of promoting where the churches have commonness, not that that is a bad thing, but it doesn't work toward an understanding of what is true, what could lead to a realistic understanding of what keeps us divided, and let the reader decide what should be.  I had a discussion with a devout, practicing Roman Catholic who asked me how can three words, "and the Son," be such a stumbling block between the churches?  When I explained it to him, the scriptural basis for the Holy Spirit proceeding from the Father, and the matter of the authority of a Pope over an Ecumenical Synod (Council) and the consensus of the church, he understood (not that it converted him, by any means, though).

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 06:04:44 PM »

I had a discussion with a devout, practicing Roman Catholic who asked me how can three words, "and the Son," be such a stumbling block between the churches? 

Yeah, I've heard that too, usually accompanied by a "for crying out loud".

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 06:33:13 PM »

I had a discussion with a devout, practicing Roman Catholic who asked me how can three words, "and the Son," be such a stumbling block between the churches? 

Three words? Heh. Let's not forget that a single letter was the difference between Orthodoxy and Arian heresy.  police
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »

I've always felt that the International Orthodox-Roman Catholic dialogue should issue papers of the debates between the churches, forthrightly, yet respectfully articulating the positions of both churches.

I agree. I'm not sure why the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue have not published the various papers written and discussed by members of the dialogue teams.  The American Catholic and Lutheran dialogue, e.g., have published many of their papers.  The papers are always of greater interest than the consensus statements. 

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »

Three words? Heh. Let's not forget that a single letter was the difference between Orthodoxy and Arian heresy.  police

Excellent point, which I will appropriate next time I'm confronted with this inquiry.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »

That's an interesting comment for an Orthodox board.

Keep them all in your prayers so that the secularists and Protestants are kept at a distance.
(That's from a conversation last year about Eastern Europe. When I objected, another Orthodox poster, Schultz, responded by starting a rumor about me, that I believe "that Protestants and Orthodox are part of the same church" (yes, you read that right). When asked about it, he said "As for how I came to this, your words in this very thread" but wouldn't be any more specific than that, despite weeks of requesting that he do so. Visit that thread if you want to read more of the flak I got from Orthodox posters.)

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 10:34:53 PM »

Perhaps I am not following the thread (in question) closely enough, but I don't think any lasting animosity need remain from that. Schultz is a bit acerbic at times, but nonetheless a stand up guy. When he resigned as mod of the Catholic section I don't remember only positive comments from every side regarding the job he had done. I say this not to say you're wrong, only that I'd hate for this thing to be an obstacle moving forward, even in discussions with Schultz himself. I guess maybe it's corny to play peace keeper, but that's my 2 cents. Smiley

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »

Perhaps I am not following the thread (in question) closely enough, but I don't think any lasting animosity need remain from that. Schultz is a bit acerbic at times, but nonetheless a stand up guy. When he resigned as mod of the Catholic section I don't remember only positive comments from every side regarding the job he had done. I say this not to say you're wrong, only that I'd hate for this thing to be an obstacle moving forward, even in discussions with Schultz himself. I guess maybe it's corny to play peace keeper, but that's my 2 cents. Smiley

It's not corny, but it's pretty predictable. Basically the usual If-you-have-a-problem,then-you-must-be-reading-in-something-that-isn't-there-or etc. etc. Forgive me for saying that it has gotten a little old.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: