OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 09:14:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can mother teresa go to heaven?  (Read 1037 times) Average Rating: 0
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: January 08, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »

A Funny muslim dialogue. Would you like to comment on it?
here is the link

http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/13564/can-mother-teresa-a-non-muslim-go-to-heaven/

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »

tl;dr!

Any Muslim who thinks Mother Teresa as such cannot enter Yawna or whatever they call it, doesn't know their own faith very well.

So if the article said that, it is correct. Any other point is really superfluous and this is supposed to be some "edgy" subject to get your attention probably to make some bland sweeping generalization.

And FTR, Mother Teresa was no Mother Teresa.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:30:39 AM »

Christopher Hitchens fan?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:58:48 PM »

tl;dr!

Any Muslim who thinks Mother Teresa as such cannot enter Yawna or whatever they call it, doesn't know their own faith very well.

So if the article said that, it is correct. Any other point is really superfluous and this is supposed to be some "edgy" subject to get your attention probably to make some bland sweeping generalization.

what was she then?

“God has no religion.”
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »

tl;dr!

what was she then?

Point proven. Thank you.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »

Not really, although his whole waterboarding adventure is interesting.

To answer your implied question see my post above.

tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:30:01 PM »

tl;dr!

what was she then?

Point proven. Thank you.

who was she then?

“God has no religion.”
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 07:36:46 PM »

I always kind of assume that meme is wrong just because it's popular with the Hitchens fans.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »

take a trip down memory lane:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17581.0.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:41:20 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »

She refused to have elevators put in her hospitals for the disabled even when it was offered to her by the city...she also wouldn't give pain medication to people.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nathanael

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:13:06 PM »

...she also wouldn't give pain medication to people.
It's a good question if Mother Teresa wouldn't give pain medication at all or only with spiritual discernment; for example when she feels that pain would bring a person closer to God.   

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:27:51 PM »

Personally I don't know for sure if the Sisters of Charity do provide the best or even the proper medical care, and given the donations they receive, it's certainly proper to question this and insist that painkillers and meds be given as appropriate.

However, as for the thread title, I don't see why Mother Teresa can't go to heaven. Since I am the greatest of sinners, she would certainly go ahead of me.  Wink

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 09:30:27 PM »

...she also wouldn't give pain medication to people.
It's a good question if Mother Teresa wouldn't give pain medication at all or only with spiritual discernment; for example when she feels that pain would bring a person closer to God.   

Either way, it's odd. One sort of crosses a line either way.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »

Personally I don't know for sure if the Sisters of Charity do provide the best or even the proper medical care, and given the donations they receive, it's certainly proper to question this and insist that painkillers and meds be given as appropriate.

However, as for the thread title, I don't see why Mother Teresa can't go to heaven. Since I am the greatest of sinners, she would certainly go ahead of me.  Wink

it was a muslim dialogue between a teacher and a student. They think we are going to hell, just because we are not muslims, and I don't know how to prove it to them that, people don't go to hell because of their religion. They go there because of their wickedness alone.

“God has no religion.”
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »

it was a muslim dialogue between a teacher and a student. They think we are going to hell, just because we are not muslims, and I don't know how to prove it to them that, people don't go to hell because of their religion. They go there because of their wickedness alone.
Quran 2:62

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

That is what I am saying. People who go to hell don't go because of their religion. They only go because of their wickedness.

“God has no religion.”
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »

Is there not perhaps also a passage in the Quran which contradicts this, as there is for relations with Christians?

Who are the Sabians?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »

Who are the Sabians?
Followers of that coach from Alabama?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »

Either that or really cymbal-obsessed drummers...
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 12:36:38 AM »

She refused to have elevators put in her hospitals for the disabled even when it was offered to her by the city...she also wouldn't give pain medication to people.
Source, please.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 11:46:15 PM »

Is there not perhaps also a passage in the Quran which contradicts this, as there is for relations with Christians?
Quran 5:72

They have certainly disbelieved who say, "Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allah - Allah has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers.

Who are the Sabians?
Followers of John the Baptist, living in southern Mesopotamia.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:46:33 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 12:23:57 AM »

However, as for the thread title, I don't see why Mother Teresa can't go to heaven. Since I am the greatest of sinners, she would certainly go ahead of me.  Wink

Isn't this a case where abrogation would apply?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naskh_(tafsir)

The newer revelations of the (false) prophet override the older ones:

"Many verses counsel patience in the face of the mockery of the unbelievers, while other verses incite to warfare against the unbelievers. The former are linked to the [chronologically anterior] Meccan phase of the mission when the Muslims were too few and weak to do other than endure insult; the latter are linked to Medina where the Prophet had acquired the numbers and the strength to hit back at his enemies. The discrepancy between the two sets of verses indicates that different situations call for different regulations."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:26:36 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 02:42:19 AM »

Source, please.

The Internet's butt.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »

Source, please.

The Internet's butt.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm saving that one!

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »

Source, please.

The Internet's butt.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm saving that one!

You're welcome. Wink

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »

Source, please.

The Internet's butt.

ROFL!  laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: