OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 07:14:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: does anyone care to explain this because I don't get it?  (Read 916 times) Average Rating: 0
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: January 08, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »

What is the lake of fire (gehenna)? is it a lake where we will be boiling and swimming for one eternity, where god will light fire on it? what is it?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 04:48:19 PM »

It is a metaphor.  There is no actual physical fire as far as we can tell.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »

What is the lake of fire (gehenna)? is it a lake where we will be boiling and swimming for one eternity, where god will light fire on it? what is it?

It's Las Vegas after the Apocalypse.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »

how can we be sure of that?

“God has no religion.”
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:54:35 PM »

The Church Fathers would be one authority.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 04:56:55 PM »

I have to admit, after learning about the Eastern Orthodox conception of Hell, I find myself MUCH less afraid of Hell--and probably more willing to take chances and sin, thinking, "Well, it can't be THAT bad, at least it isn't like western Hell".

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:03:05 PM »

anything more enlightening.?
thank you.

“God has no religion.”
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 05:04:19 PM »

I have to admit, after learning about the Eastern Orthodox conception of Hell, I find myself MUCH less afraid of Hell--and probably more willing to take chances and sin, thinking, "Well, it can't be THAT bad, at least it isn't like western Hell".

Then you don't understand the Orthodox concept of hell. I find it far worse than the western concept.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »

anything more enlightening.?
thank you.

What is more enlightening than the Church Fathers?
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »

how exactly is the western hell?

“God has no religion.”
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 05:16:21 PM »

It's probably one of the many Buddhist narakas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naraka_%28Buddhism%29
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »

Then you don't understand the Orthodox concept of hell. I find it far worse than the western concept.

how is being burned and boiled in a lake with fire for an eternity, any better than hell being just a state of being?

“God has no religion.”
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »

It's certainly not the early Christian view of hell and really didn't start popping up in Christianity until the West started its fall into heresy.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 05:25:54 PM »

It's certainly not the early Christian view of hell and really didn't start popping up in Christianity until the West started its fall into heresy.

what is the early christian belief of hell and how exactly is it far worse than the hell of the westerners?

“God has no religion.”
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »

It's probably one of the many Buddhist narakas....
...the worst of which is:

Avīci, the "uninterrupted" Naraka. Beings are roasted in an immense blazing oven with terrible suffering. Life in this Naraka is 3.39738624×10^18 years long.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »

Hell has no east or west.  Just the metaphors and other words used to try to describe it.  And yes, it CAN be THAT bad!  Definitely try to avoid hell.  Tempting God, i.e. thinking "...more willing to take chances and sin, thinking, "Well, it can't be THAT bad, at least it isn't like western Hell." is NOT a good way to avoid hell.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »

One of the most impressive descriptions of "Western" hell I've ever read is found in chapter III of Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4217/4217-h/4217-h.htm

Pure soul-benefiting Jesuit stuff!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:53:10 PM by Romaios » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »

It's where you spend all of eternity if you do not repent of sin.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »

One of the most impressive descriptions of "Western hell" I've ever read is found in chapter III of Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4217/4217-h/4217-h.htm

Pure soul-benefiting Jesuit stuff!

nvm
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:51:47 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 06:35:56 PM »

Avīci, the "uninterrupted" Naraka. Beings are roasted in an immense blazing oven with terrible suffering. Life in this Naraka is 3.39738624×10^18 years long.

They counted?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »

I'm not advocating for western hell, but there DEFINITELY were early Christians who believed in a literal Gehenna Hell, otherwise the heretical Apocalypse of Peter would not exist.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »

I'm not advocating for western hell, but there DEFINITELY were early Christians who believed in a literal Gehenna Hell, otherwise the heretical Apocalypse of Peter would not exist.

Early Christian heretics aren't Christian, like Mornons and Jehovah's Witnesses aren't Christians.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 11:17:34 PM »

They counted?
God is a mathematician.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ashman618
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 11:58:49 PM »

They counted?
God is a mathematician.

Biblically can mathematics be grouped under, "traditions of men"?
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 12:09:31 AM »

So many know about concepts to somewhere they have not been, nor know absolutely anybody who has directly been...

That includes Theologians & Saints.  Nobody knows what Hell is.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 12:14:35 AM »

They counted?
God is a mathematician.

Biblically can mathematics be grouped under, "traditions of men"?
Yeah, one could say that mathematics, like the laws of Moses, prepared (and prepares) man for the messiah.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
domNoah

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of San Bernadino

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »

Hell is a physical place as well as a spiritual place, the fire in Hell is real.  On the Last Day when we are joined again with our Bodies, the wicked will be thrown body and soul into hell, and both body and soul will burn forever.

Not only is this in scripture but it is present among the Fathers of the Church.

"[Jesus] shall come from the heavens in glory with his angelic host, when he shall raise the bodies of all the men who ever lived. Then he will clothe the worthy in immortality; but the wicked, clothed in eternal sensibility, he will commit to the eternal fire, along with the evil demons" (ibid., 52). St Justin Martyr

"We shall be raised therefore, all with our bodies eternal, but not all with bodies alike: for if a man is righteous, he will receive a heavenly body, that he may be able worthily to hold converse with angels; but if a man is a sinner, he shall receive an eternal body, fitted to endure the penalties of sins, that he may burn eternally in fire, nor ever be consumed. And righteously will God assign this portion to either company; for we do nothing without the body. We b.aspheme with the mouth, and with the mouth we pray. With the body we commit fornication, and with the body we keep chastity. With the hand we rob, and by the hand we bestow alms; and the rest in like manner. Since then the body has been our minister in all things, it shall also share with us in the future the fruits of the past"  St Cyril of Jerusalem (Catechetical Lectures 18:19 [A.D. 350]). 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:45:00 PM by domNoah » Logged

"I hope that when you come to die your last breath may utter that name of Jesus with deep confidence, and that our Lord will answer your dying sigh with an affectionate welcome into his heavenly court." http://tinyurl.com/agubd5u

http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
domNoah

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of San Bernadino

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »

So many know about concepts to somewhere they have not been, nor know absolutely anybody who has directly been...

That includes Theologians & Saints.  Nobody knows what Hell is.

Our Lord Jesus Christ who is Eternal truth knows what hell is, and he described it for us so that we are motivated to not go there.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:45:41 PM by domNoah » Logged

"I hope that when you come to die your last breath may utter that name of Jesus with deep confidence, and that our Lord will answer your dying sigh with an affectionate welcome into his heavenly court." http://tinyurl.com/agubd5u

http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »

They counted?

Haha, this is Buddhism we're talking about, everything is counted, categorized, and filed.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »

how is being burned and boiled in a lake with fire for an eternity, any better than hell being just a state of being?

From the basic premise that what is spiritual takes precedence over what is material.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 05:22:41 PM »

From the basic premise that what is spiritual takes precedence over what is material.
I thought the choices were spiritually eternally burnt to a crisp by God's love, or spiritually eternally burnt to a crisp by the pain of the loss of Heaven and materially eternally burnt to a crisp by flames that give no light whatsoever. No material only option  Huh

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »

Whatever it is, it sounds painful so I'd prefer to avoid it.  Cool

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: