OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:16:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is your favorite quotation of Origen?  (Read 511 times) Average Rating: 0
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: January 07, 2013, 12:05:08 PM »

here are a couple of mine:

1:
For whatever be the knowledge which we are able to obtain of God, either by perception or reflection, we must of necessity believe that He is by many degrees far better than what we perceive Him to be.

2:
When Jesus then is with the multitudes, He is not in His house, for the multitudes are outside of the house, and it is an act which springs from His love of men to leave the house and to go away to those who are not able to come to Him.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/origen.html#GQsiE9CtWC51kxfS.99

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »

My favorite...

And in like manner each one of those who are the authors of any evil opinion has become the architect of a certain gate of Hades; but those who co-operate with the teaching of the architect of such things are servants and stewards, who are the bond-servants of the evil doctrine which goes to build up impiety.  And though the gates of Hades are many and almost innumerable, no gate of Hades will prevail against the rock or against the church which Christ builds upon it.  Notwithstanding, these gates have a certain power by which they gain the mastery over some who do not resist and strive against them; but they are overcome by others who, because they do not turn aside from Him who said, “I am the door,” (John 10:9) have rased from their soul all the gates of Hades.  And this also we must know that as the gates of cities have each their own names, in the same way the gates of Hades might be named after the species of sins; so that one gate of Hades is called “fornication,” through which fornicators go, and another “denial,” through which the deniers of God go down into Hades.  And likewise already each of the heterodox and of those who have begotten any “knowledge which is falsely so called,” (1 Tim. 6:20) has built a gate of Hades—Marcion one gate, and Basilides another, and Valentinus another.

-- Origen, Commentary on Matthew, 12.12
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:25:18 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »

My favorite...

And in like manner each one of those who are the authors of any evil opinion has become the architect of a certain gate of Hades; but those who co-operate with the teaching of the architect of such things are servants and stewards, who are the bond-servants of the evil doctrine which goes to build up impiety.  And though the gates of Hades are many and almost innumerable, no gate of Hades will prevail against the rock or against the church which Christ builds upon it.  Notwithstanding, these gates have a certain power by which they gain the mastery over some who do not resist and strive against them; but they are overcome by others who, because they do not turn aside from Him who said, “I am the door,” (John 10:9) have rased from their soul all the gates of Hades.  And this also we must know that as the gates of cities have each their own names, in the same way the gates of Hades might be named after the species of sins; so that one gate of Hades is called “fornication,” through which fornicators go, and another “denial,” through which the deniers of God go down into Hades.  And likewise already each of the heterodox and of those who have begotten any “knowledge which is falsely so called,” (1 Tim. 6:20) has built a gate of Hades—Marcion one gate, and Basilides another, and Valentinus another.

One day, I'll take lessons on how to read that language, till then, I need google translate and they don't recognize which language this is. So, I remain ignorant.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 12:41:50 PM »

My favorite...

One day, I'll take lessons on how to read that language, till then, I need google translate and they don't recognize which language this is. So, I remain ignorant.

LOL!  Ditto that!  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:45:28 PM »

My favorite...

LOL!  Ditto that!  Grin

Seems like some folks are taking the Nile gate.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »

"For as regards these Scriptures, you must admit one of two things: either that they are not inspired because they are not profitable, as an unbeliever might suppose; or, as a believer, you must allow that because they are inspired they are profitable. We must, however, know that we often profit without perceiving it, just as frequently happens when we diet ourselves to improve our eyesight; we do not, I suppose, while we are eating perceive that our eyesight is better, but after two or three days, when the food is assimilated which benefits the eye, we are convinced of the fact by experience; and the same remark applies to other foods which benefit other parts of the body. Well, then, have the like faith with regard to Divine Scripture; believe that thy soul is profited by the mere reading, even though thy understanding does not receive the fruit of profiting by these passages."

-- Philocalia of Origen, 12.2

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »

My favorite...

You don't speak Grenglish?

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »

I don't read Origen.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »

My favorite...

I'd rather read Hegel in that click language.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »

My favorite...

LOL!  Ditto that!  Grin

Oh no!  Yet *another* thing I am ignorant of  Shocked Shocked!  This is turning out to be a bad day  Sad Sad.  Okay...I'll ask--what's the Nile gate?  Not a hotel in Washington, D.C., I hope  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »

My favorite...

Double entendre, eh?  (That could be Computese, aka Mouselish, or the one spoken by African Bushmen.)

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »

My favorite...

LOL!  Ditto that!  Grin

Oh no!  Yet *another* thing I am ignorant of  Shocked Shocked!  This is turning out to be a bad day  Sad Sad.  Okay...I'll ask--what's the Nile gate?  Not a hotel in Washington, D.C., I hope  Grin.

Play on words.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »

My favorite...

Double entendre, eh?  (That could be Computese, aka Mouselish, or the one spoken by African Bushmen.)

That's what I was thinking of.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 01:03:23 PM »

My favorite...

LOL!  Ditto that!  Grin

Play on words.

It took a moment, but I finally got it!  Grin

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »

I will offer one..

Now one of these excellences in the strictest sense according to the divine word is love for one’s neighbor, and this accordingly we are compelled to think of as possessed in a far higher degree by saints already at rest than by those who are in human weakness and wrestle on along with the weaker. It is not only here that “if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it and if one member is glorified, all the members rejoice with it” in the experience of those who love their brethren, for it beseems the love also of those who are beyond the present life to say “I have anxiety for all the churches:

Who is weak and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble and I do not burn?” Especially when Christ avows that according as such one of the saints may be weak, He is weak in like manner, and in prison and naked and a stranger and hungry and athirst. For who that reads the gospel is ignorant that Christ, in taking on himself whatever befalls believers, counts their sufferings His own?

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/origen/prayer.vii.html

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »

My favorite...

Pffh. We won't dumb down our language for you! Rather, you must embiggen your mind to receive the rich gift we offer!

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »

Why read petty archaic translations when you can read the original?  Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »

Δεν μπορώ να διαβάσω ελληνικά, γι 'αυτό! Όχι ακόμα, έτσι κι αλλιώς ...

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »

Show off.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »

That's modern Greek. There's no ochi or gi in Attic/Koine.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:00:20 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »

Google translate  Wink angel Kiss Embarrassed

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 02:02:08 PM »

"Having refuted, then, as well as we could, every notion which might suggest that we were to think of God as in any degree corporeal, we go on to say that, according to strict truth, God is incomprehensible, and incapable of being measured."

Awesome stuff.

I always refuse this guy's label as a heretic.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »

Stop cheating, Asteriktos  police
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:05:04 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 02:44:08 PM »

are you greek?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »

are you greek?

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »

"Having refuted, then, as well as we could, every notion which might suggest that we were to think of God as in any degree corporeal....
Huh? What about the Incarnation?

I love Origen as much as the next guy, but c'mon. Roll Eyes

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »

"Having refuted, then, as well as we could, every notion which might suggest that we were to think of God as in any degree corporeal....
Huh? What about the Incarnation?

I love Origen as much as the next guy, but c'mon. Roll Eyes

I think Origen there is not discounting the incarnation, but rather speaking against gnostics who saw the creator/god of this world as a created and somewhat-corporeal being. You could find such statements in others that, taken by themselves, are misleading; for example:

"It is plain, then, that there is a God. But what He is in His essence and nature is absolutely incomprehensible and unknowable. For it is evident that He is incorporeal. For how could that possess body which is infinite, and boundless, and formless, and intangible and invisible, in short, simple and not compound?" - St. John of Damascus, Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith, 1.4

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: