OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 08:11:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why would the church make people a Catechumen?  (Read 1048 times) Average Rating: 5
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 12:06:49 AM »

I have been told before in confession that I needed to be excluded from communion for a certain period of time for a sin I did. I doubt I could have gone up to receive communion the next day just because I said the pre-communion prayers.  Smiley

If this was post absolution, then confession and absolution would be rendered useless.   
Being absolved from sin means exactly that.

If there was no absolution, then I could see that from an Orthodox perspective.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
choy
Archon

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 12:16:49 AM »

I have been told before in confession that I needed to be excluded from communion for a certain period of time for a sin I did. I doubt I could have gone up to receive communion the next day just because I said the pre-communion prayers.  Smiley

If this was post absolution, then confession and absolution would be rendered useless.   

What is the point of absolution if you will sin again?  Though we do recognize that we will indeed probably fall again, the point is that we try not to.  Intentionally going against the direction of your priest is not trying.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 12:45:07 AM »

What is the point of absolution if you will sin again?  Though we do recognize that we will indeed probably fall again, the point is that we try not to.  Intentionally going against the direction of your priest is not trying.

But if he granted absolution, then the sin is absolved.

If the priest did not absolve this, then I understand.  Once absolved, it's made "whiter than snow".

The priest then absolves and then says 'skip the Eucharist'?

Then the priest did not believe in absolution.  (of course, only he knows if the absolution prayers were said)

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
choy
Archon

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 01:11:42 AM »

But if he granted absolution, then the sin is absolved.

If the priest did not absolve this, then I understand.  Once absolved, it's made "whiter than snow".

The priest then absolves and then says 'skip the Eucharist'?

Then the priest did not believe in absolution.  (of course, only he knows if the absolution prayers were said)

I am not a priest, but in my personal opinion what you have shown here proves that you do need to go through a catechumenate.  Just my two cents.

The forbidding from the Eucharist has nothing to do with cleaning your slate.  Having a clean slate does not mean you have reformed.  Forgiveness is nothing if we do not repent.  Repentance is about changing your life.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: