OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 11:03:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do I really have to wait for confession?  (Read 419 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: January 07, 2013, 09:36:02 PM »

Because of my wavering faith, I haven't been to confession with a Catholic priest since Lent last year.  I'd love to go to confession soon, I really need spiritual guidance.  I asked Father yesterday but he said I have to wait until after I am chrismated.  Can there be some sort of non-Sacramental confession?  Like I tell him my sins and he gives me spiritual guidance anyway?
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:44:49 PM »

Because of my wavering faith, I haven't been to confession with a Catholic priest since Lent last year.  I'd love to go to confession soon, I really need spiritual guidance.  I asked Father yesterday but he said I have to wait until after I am chrismated.  Can there be some sort of non-Sacramental confession?  Like I tell him my sins and he gives me spiritual guidance anyway?
Why can't you just ask him for advice?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »

I will.  But if people can share their experiences maybe I can phrase what I am asking for better so he will understand.  Because when I said confession he said the Sacraments will have to wait.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »

I think if you asked him for spiritual guidance, instead of confession, he would respond favorably. At least I would hope.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »

I will.  But if people can share their experiences maybe I can phrase what I am asking for better so he will understand.  Because when I said confession he said the Sacraments will have to wait.

Just tell him you need to get things off your chest, so to speak. That you need help sorting things out. I would be shocked if he would not respond favorably to this. Ask him to meet you for coffee or something. Have him to your home for a house blessing. Whatever works. God be with you!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »

I will.  But if people can share their experiences maybe I can phrase what I am asking for better so he will understand. 
I gave my first confession a few days before my baptism. Those who were received by Chrismation confessed before then and received absolution through the Chrismation.

I would just talk to your priest about whatever it is you are troubled by.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:23:09 PM »

I gave my first confession a few days before my baptism.
My experience was like this.

It wasn't exactly a full confession - the absolution part wasn't performed as (so I was told) this took place during the baptism/chrismation.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »

I really need spiritual guidance.

Why don't you ask for guidance from your priest outside of confession?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 11:41:46 PM »

I'd just echo what others have said: I'd imagine saying to him that you'd just like to share some issues/problems you're having and get advice would work. You could also perhaps mention that it would help because you'd feel like there's some accountability there if you talked.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »

I was told that I have to wait too. A Greek orthodox priest in UK that have helped me online with some study-material adviced me to use
psalm 50 in the morning and psalm 51 in the evening + telling God excactly every day how I feel about different things. Use those psalms
and tell the Lord how much you love Him, that is my advice.

And hey: welcome as a catechumen! Will pray for you.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: