OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 04:27:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Influence of an Artist, and Author, and an Activist  (Read 217 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: April 20, 2013, 04:41:01 AM »

I was reading an interview with Martin Sheen, and this jumped out at me. I think it is a profound testament of how an artist, an author, and an activist each had an influence on the conversion of one man’s soul. Never underestimate the power of creative works and sacrificial convictions.

From Martin Sheen: 

“Terrence Malick (movie director) is a deeply spiritual, bright, articulate man who had a profound influence on me at a critical time. Twenty years ago, I left India and went to Paris to do a film which I was not wild to be doing because I was not feeling focused at the time. I had just experienced India for the first time, and it had a very profound impact on me. I went to Paris and ran into Terrence, who'd been living there for a couple of years, and we got reacquainted and got very close. He became a mentor to me in a lot of ways. He was able to see where I needed to focus and was able to guide me to a little clearer place. He would give me material, books to read. Finally, the last book he gave me was The Brothers Karamazov (by Fyodor Dostoevsky), and that book had a very profound effect on my spiritual life. That was like the final door that I had to go through. I finished reading that, and it was May Day, and I went into what turned out to be the only English-speaking Catholic Church in all of France. I had not gone to church in years. I came across an Irish priest. I told him I'd stayed away from the faith for a long time, and I'd like to make a confession. He said, ‘You come to see me Saturday afternoon at the appointed hour,’ and I did. That was for me the journey home. Terrence was key to my awakening. Also, many of my beliefs were influenced by Dan and Phil Berrigan (Catholic social activists) and the Jesuit community they helped run in New York.”

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
john_mo
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 05:03:18 AM »

Interesting!  Really didn't know Martin Sheen was religious. 

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: