OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 10:02:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In pictures: Orthodox Christmas celebrations  (Read 1303 times) Average Rating: 0
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« on: January 07, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20929439

Short but neat slideshow from BBC.  Pretty neat juxtapositions.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20929439

Short but neat slideshow from BBC.  Pretty neat juxtapositions.
Glad it wasn't just "Russians celebrate Christmas." Wink
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:43:50 PM by Nephi » Logged
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:14:41 PM »

Glad it wasn't just "Russians celebrate Christmas." Wink
+1

Wow, there is even Šabac - in some way my hometown (the place that my father and his parents and so on were born and I'm there in the birth register too)

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »

Caption from one of the pictures:

Orthodox Christians observe the Julian calendar.

*sigh* The Greeks, Bulgarians, Antiochians and Romanians would disagree ....
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »

More pics from Al Jazeera:
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2013/01/20131712145036296.html

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:31:19 PM »

Al Jazeera must have better journalists than the BBC:

"Most Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas according to the Julian calendar on January 7. Western Christian churches mark the holiday according to the Gregorian calendar."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:31:51 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »

"Most Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas according to the Julian calendar on January 7. Western Christian churches mark the holiday according to the Gregorian calendar."

I normally don't like to watch or read the cunning mouthpiece of Arab nationalism and Islam, but when I do, I found this:

“Orthodox women attend Christmas midnight mass led by the newly elected Pope Tawadros II, head of the Egyptian Coptic Orthodox Church, at the al-Abasseya Cathedral in Cairo.”

Which is wrong: those are Ethiopian women in an Ethiopian church.  Roll Eyes
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »

I normally don't like to watch or read the cunning mouthpiece of Arab nationalism and Islam, but when I do, I found this:

“Orthodox women attend Christmas midnight mass led by the newly elected Pope Tawadros II, head of the Egyptian Coptic Orthodox Church, at the al-Abasseya Cathedral in Cairo.”

How do you know it's an Ethiopian Church? And how was the description "Orthodox women" wrong? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:36:26 AM by sheenj » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »

This is what the BBC said about that exact same picture:

(First, the preceding picture:) "Coptic Christians converged on Cairo's main cathedral for Midnight Mass led by their new Pope, Tawadros II."

(Then, the picture with the women:) "Ethiopian Christian Orthodox women were among those who attended the service." ("the service" referring to the Cairo cathedral service.)

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »

Christmas at Mor Gabriel Syriac Orthodox Dayro (Monastery)Turkey

NULL
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 02:10:17 PM »

Do all syriac churches have a fire burning on nativity?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 02:12:58 PM »

Yup, it's to symbolize Christ's Light entering the world. We use the palm leaves from the previous Palm Sunday to fuel the fire.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

interesting, when i went to a traditionalist anglican (very) early morning Paschal liturgy a few years ago, they had a fire burning in the dark outside the church (about 5.30am) and that was lit from old palm crosses (not the ones from the previous week! and i suppose some other stuff went into it too as it was quite big) and the people near the fire lit their candles from this, and then those behind them lit their candles from the people at the front, and so on until everyone's candle was lit, and we processed into the church behind the bishop and other clergy in complete darkness, lit only by the candles we were holding.
it was exceptionally beautiful. the whole service and the sermon also were quite 'orthodox' in nature, and for a while, i wondered if i could be a member of anglican and orthodox churches at the same time (i can be very slow to understand things at times!)
sadly, the bishop soon after was 'encouraged' to move to a new role and become a general bishop, leaving his diocese (officially not a demotion!). those of us who agreed with his views assumed this was for openly opposing the tide of liberalism within the church.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »

In the Paschal Vigil, in the Roman Catholic Church, they would strike a flint to start a fire and bless it and that flame was used to light the Paschal Candle.  In my former parish they would use branches from a thorn bush to fuel the fire.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 05:06:18 PM »

Yup, it's to symbolize Christ's Light entering the world. We use the palm leaves from the previous Palm Sunday to fuel the fire.

Nice  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »

That's so great, it also can remind us about the shepherds who were the witness of the Christ's Nativity. That's why in Serbia the branches of oak - called badnjak (from "Badnje Veče - Chrstiams Even" and "badnje" from "vigil") -are fired.

That's interesting that Syriacs use for it the palm leaves - in Roman Catholic Church they're used for making ash for Ash Wednesday that begins Great Lent

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »

Which is wrong: those are Ethiopian women in an Ethiopian church.  Roll Eyes

(First, the preceding picture:) "Coptic Christians converged on Cairo's main cathedral for Midnight Mass led by their new Pope, Tawadros II."

(Then, the picture with the women:) "Ethiopian Christian Orthodox women were among those who attended the service." ("the service" referring to the Cairo cathedral service.)

No! All the women here are Ethiopians. Coptic Egyptian women don't know head covering inside a church, which I find it very strange. So, this was an Ethiopian church, and His Holiness was not there, al-Jihadeera, which is a BBC franchise, sucks, period!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:31:59 AM by Balthasar » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »

Coptic Egyptian women don't know head covering inside a church, which I find it very strange.

Really?

-St Silouan the athonite
Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »

Coptic Egyptian women don't know head covering inside a church, which I find it very strange.

Really?

@Ansgar

How many are without? In an Ethiopian church every woman covers her head. The demonic Muslims stole that from them, like they did the form of their prayers, the call for prayers... and many other things. Their evil quran even uses over 300 Ethiopic words to confuse Christians. Satan, the imposter always immitates some parts of God's ways to fight against God. Copy, copy, copy Shocked

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 11:07:08 AM »

Really?

@Ansgar

How many are without? In an Ethiopian church every woman covers her head. The demonic Muslims stole that from them, like they did the form of their prayers, the call for prayers... and many other things. Their evil quran even uses over 300 Ethiopic words to confuse Christians. Satan, the imposter always immitates some parts of God's ways to fight against God. Copy, copy, copy Shocked

Forgive me Balthasar, but you remind me about the story told by Elder Paisios, about the bee and the fly. The fly see only the dirt around him and ignores the beautiful flowers.

-St Silouan the athonite
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »

Which is wrong: those are Ethiopian women in an Ethiopian church.  Roll Eyes

No! All the women here are Ethiopians. Coptic Egyptian women don't know head covering inside a church, which I find it very strange. So, this was an Ethiopian church, and His Holiness was not there, al-Jihadeera, which is a BBC franchise, sucks, period!

I think you mean all the women in the picture, not all the women in the Church.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »

Here are a few of my own photos from our Nativity Eve Celebration.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »

....and here are a few from Christmas Day.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: