OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 06:01:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pronouncing "chalcedonian"  (Read 941 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 07, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »

So as a recent convert, "chalcedonian" is a word ive heard a lot of, but didnt know what it meant before Orthodoxy.  When it comes to this word, ive read it tons of times but never actually said it out loud until recently when talking to a friend.  Its hard to sound intelligent when talking about a subject you dont even know how to pronounce correctly.

Can someone spell out the pronunciation? Smiley

I think im saying it right, but I want to be sure.... Im an idiot, i know.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »

hehehe no you r not an idiot.

I am the last person to show ppl how to pronouce stuff in english lol one because of my ESL limitations and second because I do not know how to write in phonetics. however, if I am not mistaken its pronouced as Cal-see-donian. of course in my mother toungue i pronounce it as kel-Qedon-aw-yan. Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »

So as a recent convert, "chalcedonian" is a word ive heard a lot of, but didnt know what it meant before Orthodoxy.  When it comes to this word, ive read it tons of times but never actually said it out loud until recently when talking to a friend.  Its hard to sound intelligent when talking about a subject you dont even know how to pronounce correctly.

Can someone spell out the pronunciation? Smiley

I think im saying it right, but I want to be sure.... Im an idiot, i know.

Use the Oxford Dictionary for American English, if you want to sound sane.

Pronunciation: /ˌkalsəˈdōnēən/

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/Chalcedon,+Council+of

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »

I am the last person to show ppl how to pronouce stuff in english lol one because of my ESL limitations and second because I do not know how to write in phonetics. however, if I am not mistaken its pronouced as Cal-see-donian. of course in my mother toungue i pronounce it as kel-Qedon-aw-yan. Smiley

In my mother tongue: skjuːz mā?

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I was saying it with a "ch" sound at the beginning... other than that I was right. Ha.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I was saying it with a "ch" sound at the beginning... other than that I was right. Ha.

I grew up around a guy who read a lot and was utter white trash like myself. Unlike myself, he didn't have a huge Oxford nor the time to learn how words he read were pronounced. I had to give up some of my terribly English pronunciations once I got learned better, but this poor guy butchered words so good that you couldn't never tell what he was fixing to say.

Interestingly I met this exact guy again later. Unlike the guy I knowed when I was young, this poor fellow tries Russian, German, and French with never having heard it.

EDIT: My point, don't be embarrassed cause you can't "properly" pronounce a word. Such embarrassment retarded my own language aptitude.   
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:52:45 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:06:47 PM »

I recall Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon on a podcast pronouncing it Kal-KEE-don. Can't bring myself to say it that way. Kal-si-DOH-nee-an sounds best Smiley
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »

I recall Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon on a podcast pronouncing it Kal-KEE-don. Can't bring myself to say it that way. Kal-si-DOH-nee-an sounds best Smiley

See the above post of mine.

It's sorta like putting up with the Greek "experts" around here who want to make St. Paul or even Homer speak like their grandpa. (When someone derides "Erasmian Greek", you know to stop listening.)

It's sorta like asking how to pronounce angina.

Some of my docs say: an-ˈjī-nə

Others: ˈan-jə-nə

The others are the new and improved doctors.

Strange they don't apply the same principle to another word.

ˈan-jə-nə! an-ˈjī-nə!
ˈwa-jə-nə! və-ˈjī-nə!

Let's call the whole thing off.

Sorry for my poor IPA, Isa, Jeremy, et al.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:28:25 PM by orthonorm » Logged

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 12:30:26 PM »

It reminds me that one of my fellow chanters insists on pronouncing Theotokos as thay-OTT-ikkus. I've waiting several years for my priest say something. This same chanter also pronounces Joachim as YO-akim - somewhat understandable as he comes from a German Mennonite background, but his own father is Jake, not Yake  Cheesy!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »

A brother once asked Abba Severus, "Abba, how do I pronounce 'Chalecedonian'?" And Abba Severus replied, "It's pronounced EV-IL."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »

A brother once asked Abba Severus, "Abba, how do I pronounce 'Chalecedonian'?" And Abba Severus replied, "It's pronounced EV-IL."

[/thread]

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »

In my mother tongue: skjuːz mā?

Cheesy Cheesy Ah! that would be the biological mother of English.

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »

hehehehe good one!

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »

hehehehe good one!

May St. Pulcheria forgive me.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 02:37:22 PM »

Every
Villain
Is
Lemons!

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »

Pronunciation? Even the spelling in Greek varies depending on the century in which it was used.

I wish member pensateomnia would check in. I recall his similar comments on 'Chalcedon' and with his degree's discipline would trust his answer.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:23 PM »

Every
Villain
Is
Lemons!
Watch out, Mermaid Man!

Ελέησον με, ο Θεός, κατά το μέγα έλεος σου και κατά το πλήθος των οικτιρμών σου εξάλειψον το ανόμημα μου.

Αναστάς ο Ιησούς από του τάφου, καθώς προείπεν, έδωκεν ημίν την αιώνιον ζωήν και το μέγα έλεος.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 10:30:46 PM »

Pronunciation? Even the spelling in Greek varies depending on the century in which it was used.

I wish member pensateomnia would check in. I recall his similar comments on 'Chalcedon' and with his degree's discipline would trust his answer.

I already gave the answer. It is an English word. It has a standard American pronunciation if you are speaking American English. Regionlize how you like.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 04:56:43 AM »

ROFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFL

post of the year

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 07:35:20 AM »

I already gave the answer. It is an English word. It has a standard American pronunciation if you are speaking American English. Regionlize how you like.

Nothing to do with regional dialects in Greek which is what I was posting about. But then you knew that, didn't you?.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:37:03 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »

Nothing to do with regional dialects in Greek which is what I was posting about. But then you knew that, didn't you?.

Where do the words regional dialects appear in your post?

But I do know what you mean, even if you don't.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »

Cute; what does "regionalize" mean in YOUR post?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

In America, we have regional differences in the Standard Language. The Oxford American gives you the standard pronunciation for this word, but I am not so uptight like many to think everyone has to sound like whoever reads the news on CNN.

So feel free to regionlize that pronunciation all you like.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 04:19:27 PM »

In America, we have regional differences in the Standard Language. The Oxford American gives you the standard pronunciation for this word, but I am not so uptight like many to think everyone has to sound like whoever reads the news on CNN.

So feel free to regionlize that pronunciation all you like.

Gotch ya. I agree.

Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »

Pronunciation? Even the spelling in Greek varies depending on the century in which it was used...
...and the region. Ancient Athenians would have called the city Χαλκηδών while the Megareans (who were its founders) would have called it Καλχηδών.
Αs for the spirantization of χ [kʰ] > [ x], well, by the 3rd c. BC the shift of pronouncing χ from aspirate stop, to spirant, is already well eshtablished.  
In Byzantine and Modern Greek, Χαλκηδών is pronounced [xalci'ðo̞n]
In Attic Classical language: [kʰalkɛε'dɔɔn]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:22:19 PM by Apostolos » Logged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »

Pronunciation? Even the spelling in Greek varies depending on the century in which it was used...
...and the region. Ancient Athenians would have called the city Χαλκηδών while the Megareans (who were its founders) would have called it Καλχηδών.
Αs for the spirantization of χ [kʰ] > [ x], well, by the 3rd c. BC the shift of pronouncing χ from aspirate stop, to spirant, is already well eshtablished. 
In Byzantine and Modern Greek, Χαλκηδών is pronounced [xalci'ðo̞n]
In Attic Classical language: [kʰalkɛε'dɔɔn]
May I tip my cap to you? Exactly my point.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

Just where is pensateomnia? I do miss him.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »

Just where is pensateomnia? I do miss him.

I'll see if I can drop him a line.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: