OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 04:21:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic calendar question....  (Read 269 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 10, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »

I know this topic has been beat to death, but Im still confused.  I tried a search, but all the calendar topics were merged into one thread and it was hard to follow.

Does Gregorian mean New Calendar while Julian means old?? Or is the Julian spilt up between old and new? Does the new Julian calendar line up with the Gregorian? If so, why not just go with the Gregorian? 

I know I should know this, but its always confused me.  If youre tired of explaining it, link me to a brief article that explains how it all works.  Thanks!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »

There are no basic (that is, simple in answer) calendar questions.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »

I know this topic has been beat to death, but Im still confused.  I tried a search, but all the calendar topics were merged into one thread and it was hard to follow.

Does Gregorian mean New Calendar while Julian means old?? Or is the Julian spilt up between old and new? Does the new Julian calendar line up with the Gregorian? If so, why not just go with the Gregorian? 

I know I should know this, but its always confused me.  If youre tired of explaining it, link me to a brief article that explains how it all works.  Thanks!!

Old Calendar refers to the Julian, while the New Calendar refers to the Revised Julian.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:25:02 AM by sheenj » Logged
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »

Old Calendar refers to the Julian, while the New Calendar refers to the Revised Julian.

Thank you!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: