OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 12:32:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 'Favorite Sin' Protestants Confess More Than Catholics (or All Americans)  (Read 562 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 07, 2013, 09:52:41 AM »

As New Year's resolutions face their first weeks of testing, the Barna Group has released a new study on the "changing state of temptation" in America.

Most interesting are the differences in admitted temptation based on religious identity. Protestants are tempted more than Catholics (or Americans in general) by eating too much (66% vs. 44% vs. 55%). By contrast, Catholics are tempted more than Protestants (or Americans in general) by gossip (29% vs. 22% vs. 26%).

Protestants are also more likely than Catholics to say they struggle with procrastination (57% to 51%) and being lazy (40% to 28%). (The study identifies practicing Christians as those who "have attended a church service in the past month and say their religious faith is very important in their life.")

Original Barna article.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:51 PM »

I was gping to read the whole article but I was too tired to click the link; will do it later, maybe.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:58:04 PM »

As New Year's resolutions face their first weeks of testing, the Barna Group has released a new study on the "changing state of temptation" in America.

Most interesting are the differences in admitted temptation based on religious identity. Protestants are tempted more than Catholics (or Americans in general) by eating too much (66% vs. 44% vs. 55%). By contrast, Catholics are tempted more than Protestants (or Americans in general) by gossip (29% vs. 22% vs. 26%).

Protestants are also more likely than Catholics to say they struggle with procrastination (57% to 51%) and being lazy (40% to 28%). (The study identifies practicing Christians as those who "have attended a church service in the past month and say their religious faith is very important in their life.")

Original Barna article.

Is any of this a surprise? The law is what condemns us and causes our guilt. What laws are Purmeritans most found of?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:50:35 PM »

Well can you blame them? They don't really have any fasting traditions to guide them like we have.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »

Well can you blame them? They don't really have any fasting traditions to guide them like we have.

You think? You might want to look at Puritanism again. Start with the various days of thanksgiving.

EDIT: Only those obsessed with not eating would care about doing so. The law judges us, as St. Paul said and Kant further developed to explain unbeknownst to him at the time neurosis of modernity which more than a few *ahem* posters here continually demonstrate. The law remains within modernity but it is denuded of content so we are judged guilty but never knowing the why. Extreme neurotics focus this anxiety into a single or a few aspects of their lives to better manage their more acute awareness of this fact. Others attempt to fill in the law once again, hence the flight to fundamentalism or all sorts. Christian freedom per St. Paul doesn't seem to be for everyone.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:59:14 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Nathanael

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »

The law judges us, as St. Paul said
Often when Paul speaks on law, he means some law in the old testament, and not the holy commandments, which the Lord gave us.
When I had been practicing faith in a protestant way (I was baptized orthodox) I felt much less guilt as believing and acting in the orthodox way. It's not the law, which condemns us. The more the light of Christ shines on your soul, the more contrition in your heart you'll feel.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:31:38 PM by Nathanael » Logged

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »

The law judges us, as St. Paul said
Often when Paul speaks on law, he means some law in the old testament, and not the holy commandments, which the Lord gave us.
When I had been practicing faith in a protestant way (I was baptized orthodox) I felt much less guilt as believing and acting in the orthodox way. The more the light of Christ shines on your soul, the more contrition in your heart you'll feel.

Perhaps, I cannot argue with your feelings but I can take issue with the dichotomy between "some law in the old testament" with the "holy commandments".

There is an interesting tension between St. Paul's discussion on Christian freedom and Christ's perfecting "some law in the old testament".

Are we still on topic?

Nathanael

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »

What do you understand by 'christian freedom'?

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 12:55:45 AM »

Not trading Leviticus and the Talmud for the Rudder would be a good start.  Seems like we were freed from one law only to enslave ourselves with another.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 02:03:38 AM »

Not trading Leviticus and the Talmud for the Rudder would be a good start.  Seems like we were freed from one law only to enslave ourselves with another.

You're on a roll lately.  Seriously, some good stuff!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »

Living up to your name. Thanks for punching up my delayed reply.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: