OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 01:51:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: it is a done deal!  (Read 1259 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: January 06, 2013, 09:44:37 PM »

Told the priest today, my family will be received as catechumens next Sunday
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »

May God guide you all! Smiley

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Nero

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:53:56 PM »

Congratulations!  Grin
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »

Amen to that. Congratulations!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:24:53 PM »

That's wonderful. Welcome aboard!

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:41:10 AM »

I also met the bishop today.  Very nice man, he even gave me and my family a blessing.  He is also a former Roman Catholic.  I'm glad that not only most of the parish I am joining are converts, even the clergy and hierarch are converts.  We're all hyperdox!  Grin
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 02:38:12 AM »

I also met the bishop today.  Very nice man, he even gave me and my family a blessing.  He is also a former Roman Catholic.  I'm glad that not only most of the parish I am joining are converts, even the clergy and hierarch are converts.  We're all hyperdox!  Grin

I understand that, everyone gets excited when they first join the Church.  Just try to adapt to Orthodoxy as best as you can.. and don't be too hard on yourself when you forget to fast, or eat cheese or something like that.  I'm always too hard on myself for everything.  Undecided Smiley

Welcome!

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:46:53 AM »

I understand that, everyone gets excited when they first join the Church.  Just try to adapt to Orthodoxy as best as you can.. and don't be too hard on yourself when you forget to fast, or eat cheese or something like that.  I'm always too hard on myself for everything.  Undecided Smiley

Welcome!

Thanks!  Two years of being Eastern Catholic, I think I am mostly there.  Father didn't even require me to attend inquirer/catechumen classes.  But I told him that my wife would like to attend, she is not a Church Geek like myself  Grin
Margarita
One

Faith: The Way
Jurisdiction: Texan

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »

Amen to that. Congratulations!

And Amen to that!  Such a wonderful update Choy!  May the Lord keep you all!
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »

Congratulations, and God bless your family!

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 10:49:58 AM »

Congratulations!  Grin

As an ex-Greek Catholic, is there a chance you will be receive in close future! Or will you wait for your wife?

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »

Congratulations!  Grin

As an ex-Greek Catholic, is there a chance you will be receive in close future! Or will you wait for your wife?

Priest says at Pascha.  My entire family goes to the UGCC with me, but she just needs a bit more instruction. Unfortunately I am not a very good catechist at home.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 11:58:55 AM »

Hi choy. Good to hear from you.

I also met the bishop today.  Very nice man, he even gave me and my family a blessing.  He is also a former Roman Catholic.  I'm glad that not only most of the parish I am joining are converts, even the clergy and hierarch are converts.  We're all hyperdoxGrin

Meh, that's getting old. Now if you had said "We're all converdox", well ...

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »

Hi choy. Good to hear from you.

I also met the bishop today.  Very nice man, he even gave me and my family a blessing.  He is also a former Roman Catholic.  I'm glad that not only most of the parish I am joining are converts, even the clergy and hierarch are converts.  We're all hyperdoxGrin

Meh, that's getting old. Now if you had said "We're all converdox", well ...

Hahahah!  I think I have to be chrismated first before I am allowed to make up my own words  Grin Grin Grin
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:14 PM »

Congratulations!  Grin

Priest says at Pascha.  My entire family goes to the UGCC with me, but she just needs a bit more instruction. Unfortunately I am not a very good catechist at home.

Congratulations!

On a side note, "The Orthodox Church in America Outside America", is just all kinds of ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:16:15 PM by sheenj » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »

Congratulations!  Grin

Congratulations!

On a side note The Orthodox Church in America Outside America is probably the most ridiculous name I've heard for a Orthodox Jurisdiction.

hahahah!  You know it is not official Wink  Of course I'm going to the OCA. Just making fun of the fact that the Church name is "in America" when I am actually "in Canada".
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 12:47:36 PM »

So what was the smoking gun for your catechism in the Orthodox Church?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »

Congratulations!  Grin

Congratulations!

On a side note The Orthodox Church in America Outside America is probably the most ridiculous name I've heard for a Orthodox Jurisdiction.

hahahah!  You know it is not official Wink  Of course I'm going to the OCA. Just making fun of the fact that the Church name is "in America" when I am actually "in Canada".

Have you suggested "OCNA"?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:10 PM »

I wonder whether attending EO services instead of Eastern Catholic services feels anyhow different?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:36:23 PM by Alpo » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »

I wonder whether attending EO services instead of Eastern Catholic services feels anyhow different?

It does, at least from my EC parish to EO parish.  I know some EC parishes do Liturgy better than some EO parishes. It really is a case-to-case basis.
Deborah

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:53 AM »

Told the priest today, my family will be received as catechumens next Sunday

Wahoo! Cheesy Welcome aboard to your and your family choy! Grin

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
choy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »

Today it is official Smiley

I hoped it would have went better, but my toddler son got impatient during the prayers.
peacenprayer

Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »

Yay! Congratulations. Where abouts in Canadia are you? T'under Bay, here Tongue

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
choy
Archon

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »

Vancouver, BC.
peacenprayer

Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 08:47:46 PM »

Vancouver, BC.

Oooh! Other side of the map Tongue Grats, again.

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 09:52:37 PM »

Many Years!!!
choy
Archon

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 12:47:55 AM »

I wonder how long before my beard grows...  Grin Grin Grin
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »

In view of the fact that the OCA includes dioceses in Canada, the UNites States of America and the United States of Mexico, I usually think of the "America" part meanng the Americas North, Central, and South (ie continents=== its kind of like the Greek Orthodox Church of of Africa, The Greek Orthodox Church of  Antioch and all the east , etc).

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
choy
Archon

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »

In view of the fact that the OCA includes dioceses in Canada, the UNites States of America and the United States of Mexico, I usually think of the "America" part meanng the Americas North, Central, and South (ie continents=== its kind of like the Greek Orthodox Church of of Africa, The Greek Orthodox Church of  Antioch and all the east , etc).

Who knows, by the time this jurisdiction thing gets sorted out, Canada may be its own separate jurisdiction.  I think there are enough Orthodox here across all jurisdictions that they can form one Church and have their own jurisdiction.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: