OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:43:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theological Breakthrough #2: Why God(Yahweh) lets us eat animals  (Read 2112 times) Average Rating: 0
SavedByChrist94

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Born-Again

« on: January 06, 2013, 07:07:41 PM »

OCD spiked again while eating chicken, so I figured out why God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) lets us eat flesh(meat).

Here is why, 1, Since Physical Death exists, mobile food is necessary, food that doesn't require being taken cared for or being harmed by nature.

2, since that's the case God will have to create food that can care for itself, is mobile, doesn't need attentive caring for, etc

3, this particular food must feel pain, why? to prevent itself from harm, if the food feels no pain, then it wouldn't know when it's harmed, leading always to death aka destruction of the food refuting it's purpose.

4, therefore, that is the reason why God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) created animals for food.

we could argue and further substantiate my argument with these facts,

1, Food was originally only vegetation, (Genesis 1:29
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.) then after the flood (Genesis 9:2–3
2 The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered. 3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.)

the argument I created(unless somebody else did, and I'd give the credit to them if they had it first) fits well and explains why God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) allows the death of animals for food.

Now on the care of animals,

1, It's no big deal, pain is only temporary and it's necessary to humanity to survive because of Physical death. remember, Job 12:10 “In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.”

2, It's again, human fault, this wouldn't happen if it wasn't for sin which caused physical death.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:10:23 PM by SavedByChrist94 » Logged
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »

Once again - who are you arguing with? The Eastern Orthodox have no problem with eating animal flesh (except during fasting periods) as far as I know.

And by the way, what kind of chicken were you eating?  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:10:36 PM »

Wisdom! Let us Attend!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »

Once again - who are you arguing with? The Eastern Orthodox have no problem with eating animal flesh (except during fasting periods) as far as I know.

I'm arguing against "atheist" vegetarians who try to use animals as food against God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit), that argument is no longer valid as I have refuted it, feel free to use this argument when someone complains that we shouldn't eat animals and that this would be immoral, it isn't, and if it was it's human fault.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:12:31 PM by SavedByChrist94 » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »

That is not at all why God allows us to eat animals.  It is because Colonel Sanders suggested a chicken outlet, and the LORD thought it was a good idea.  Wink
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 07:14:34 PM »

That is not at all why God allows us to eat animals.  It is because Colonel Sanders suggested a chicken outlet, and the LORD thought it was a good idea.  Wink

Then God saw the double down and thought, "hmm, may have given them too much freedom there..."  laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »

Find yourself a hobby, really. It's not healthy for 18-year-old to write such things*.

*writing as a guy who registerred here when he was 17

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 07:15:14 PM »

Why God allowed humans to eat animals is described in Genesis 9:1-3. Exactly why God changed His mind and now allowed humans to eat animals, is not explicitly explained, though it might have something to do with the fact that humans saved the animals during the Flood, and thus can now eat them.

Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:16:28 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:16:14 PM »

So we should tell atheists that the God they don't believe in disagrees with them, and thus they're wrong. Well if that doesn't convince them then nothing will!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 07:17:19 PM »

Why are you using the Holy Name so casually? <_<

Wisdom! Let us Attend!

And you are just cracking me up  laugh
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:17:51 PM by Eastern Mind » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »

There are almost no atheists here. I think SBC believes we are some sort of blog board for anyone.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »

There are almost no atheists here. I think SBC believes we are some sort of blog board for anyone.

I guess the "Orthodox Christianity" banner at the top evaded him?  laugh

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 07:22:58 PM »

I'm arguing against "atheist" vegetarians who try to use animals as food against God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit), that argument is no longer valid as I have refuted it, feel free to use this argument when someone complains that we shouldn't eat animals and that this would be immoral, it isn't, and if it was it's human fault.

There are no atheist vegetarians here that I know of.  Huh

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »

Maybe he saw that word and thought it means anyone with strong beliefs. He may not realize it's a particular church.

Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »

Maybe he saw that word and thought it means anyone with strong beliefs. He may not realize it's a particular church.

Fair enough, I guess.

SavedByChrist94

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »

I thought this website was like the ChristianForums, where "atheist" debate as well.

however this is of good use, why? because The Eastern Orthodox Church could use these valid arguments in debates against "atheism".
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 07:37:44 PM »

I thought this website was like the ChristianForums, where "atheist" debate as well.

however this is of good use, why? because The Eastern Orthodox Church could use these valid arguments in debates against "atheism".

I am very happy to be able to say that the Eastern Orthodox way of practicing Christianity has helped me (and many others) overcome my atheism without the need to resort to "debating tactics".  Smiley

SavedByChrist94

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 07:38:24 PM »

Find yourself a hobby, really. It's not healthy for 18-year-old to write such things*.

How was what I wrote wrong? I'm helping you, when an "atheist" complains about cruelty and etc, you use this to refute their lies.

For example The First Theological Breakthrough can be used if you have issues with The Problem of Suffering, as that refuted it.

I ask, are you an "atheist"? and why are you opposed to me helping Christianity and refuting arguments against it?
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »

I am very happy to be able to say that the Eastern Orthodox way of practicing Christianity has helped me (and many others) overcome my atheism without the need to resort to "debating tactics".  Smiley

What debating tactics? I used Arguments, no need for debates, for example The Fine Tuning Argument, now is that primarily for debate or to prove Theism true? The arguments I pose are to further ones Faith and refute the opposition to it, I don't understand why you oppose something for The Faith and advocate something against it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:40:31 PM by SavedByChrist94 » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »

How was what I wrote wrong? I'm helping you, when an "atheist" complains about cruelty and etc, you use this to refute their lies.

For example The First Theological Breakthrough can be used if you have issues with The Problem of Suffering, as that refuted it.

I ask, are you an "atheist"? and why are you opposed to me helping Christianity and refuting arguments against it?

This is already a Christian website. It is not an atheist site and I don't think any of us need help, because not many atheists come to the site.

Ego much?

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »

What debating tactics? I used Arguments, no need for debates, for example The Fine Tuning Argument, now is that primarily for debate or to prov Theism true? The arguments I pose are to further ones Faith and refute the opposition to it, I don't understand why you oppose something for The Faith and advocate something against it.

It's primarily your attitude. You don't seem to have the slightest interest in learning what Eastern Orthodoxy is all about - instead you come in and start swinging, just assuming everyone here is an "atheist" who needs to be taught The Right Way!!!

Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 07:42:21 PM »

Maybe he just really has bad OCD like he said for real and he's compelled to do it and we sould give him some slack it's hard I know, my sons OCD sometimes compelled him to touch the same spot on the table like 50 times and it drives me nuts but he can barely help himself.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 07:43:12 PM »

The guy seems to think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »

Maybe he just really has bad OCD like he said for real and he's compelled to do it and we sould give him some slack it's hard I know, my sons OCD sometimes compelled him to touch the same spot on the table like 50 times and it drives me nuts but he can barely help himself.

If that's it, I'm sorry.

Here's an idea, SBC. Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? What do you like to do? What church do you go to?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »

How was what I wrote wrong?

IDK, tl/dr. The bigger problem is that you waste your time of writting some paratheological pseudoapologetics no one is interested in, no one cares and no one treats seriously. You try to thrust it into our throats and you do not see it's a wrong attitude and you cannot convince anyone. Don't you have any chores, homework to do?

I'm helping you, when an "atheist" complains about cruelty and etc, you use this to refute their lies.

Not saying anything about the "quality" of your "arguments" I do not engage in discussions with militant atheists about religious issues because it's pointless.

You can see my religious beliefs in my profile info. And you are not "helping Christianity", quite the contrary.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »

Maybe SBC could try to read some more threads, and get a little better acquainted with what this board is like.  Smiley

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »

You mean another hobby. Offering his services to utterly refute the specious arguments of atheists (who never seem to accept refutation) appears to be his hobby. Unless, of course, he gets paid for it. In which case, where do I sent my resume?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 11:45:48 PM »

Sliced bread is evil---genetically derranged wheat, junk carbohydrates, pre-slicing. Terrible.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »

Sliced bread is evil---genetically derranged wheat, junk carbohydrates, pre-slicing. Terrible.

No, it's not.

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 12:45:34 AM »

Sliced banana bread is pretty good. Just baked a fresh loaf, with chocolate chips.

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 01:05:12 AM »

I am subtracting points from this thread because the subtitle was not: "The Electric Boogaloo" nor a reference thereof ("The Carnivorous Boogaloo" would have been acceptable). The fact that the OP is only 18 is not an excuse, just a sad fact as to the further deterioration of the American educational system and its neglect for the classics.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 01:12:19 AM »

OCD spiked again while eating chicken,

I don't think you have OCD.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 05:29:35 AM »

Because squash is not very tasty.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 05:49:37 AM »

Having "theological breakthroughs" seems kind of arrogant.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2013, 06:53:56 AM »

I am subtracting points from this thread because the subtitle was not: "The Electric Boogaloo" nor a reference thereof ("The Carnivorous Boogaloo" would have been acceptable). The fact that the OP is only 18 is not an excuse, just a sad fact as to the further deterioration of the American educational system and its neglect for the classics.

Amen.

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 07:09:41 AM »

Sliced banana bread is pretty good. Just baked a fresh loaf, with chocolate chips.

Next time, try putting in some good German cinnamon. The aroma of baking banana bread and cinnamon filling the house is nothing short of heavenly.  Smiley
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »

Wait, why are vegetarians atheists?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »

I don't know. I imagine some are and some aren't.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 12:36:34 PM »

LOL! @ subject!

Is reading the thread going to increase or decrease my mirth?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »

Is it truly meat and right?

Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »

LOL! @ subject!

Is reading the thread going to increase or decrease my mirth?

When your done reading it at lest try to make merry
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »

OCD spiked again while eating chicken, so I figured out why God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) lets us eat flesh(meat).

Here is why, 1, Since Physical Death exists, mobile food is necessary, food that doesn't require being taken cared for or being harmed by nature.

2, since that's the case God will have to create food that can care for itself, is mobile, doesn't need attentive caring for, etc

3, this particular food must feel pain, why? to prevent itself from harm, if the food feels no pain, then it wouldn't know when it's harmed, leading always to death aka destruction of the food refuting it's purpose.

4, therefore, that is the reason why God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) created animals for food.

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.) then after the flood (Genesis 9:2–3
2 The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered. 3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.)

the argument I created(unless somebody else did, and I'd give the credit to them if they had it first) fits well and explains why God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) allows the death of animals for food.

1, It's no big deal, pain is only temporary and it's necessary to humanity to survive because of Physical death. remember, Job 12:10 “In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.”

2, It's again, human fault, this wouldn't happen if it wasn't for sin which caused physical death.

Don't really pay attention around here for a while and I miss gems like this.

Please don't stop posting.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »

Don't really pay attention around here for a while and I miss gems like this.

Please don't stop posting.

You forget that some of us have to read everything.  Cry

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »

I'm curious - does anybody really bother arguing with atheists?

Personally, I have more important and interesting things to do - like stare out the window or organize my socks.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:01:37 PM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:10 PM »

I'm curious - does anybody really bother arguing with atheists?

Personally, I have more important and interesting things to do - like stare out the window or organize my socks.

You could invite atheists over for church feasts and then serve them fasting food while everyone else enjoys barbecue and fried turkey. An irrefutable argument in itself, I say.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: