OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:06:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple services - another dumb question  (Read 405 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: January 06, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »

We all know that multiple Liturgies per day is a no-no. But what about services from the daily cycle like vespers or matins? If I attended a Saturday vigil, and went on Sunday to the parish that does matins on Sunday morning should I skip it or should I go for the second time? Would a priest be allowed to serve it twice?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:31:13 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:38:09 AM »

Only the Divine Liturgy is a Eucharistic service, and is therefore only permitted to be celebrated once a day. If a church has more than one altar (it's fairly common for larger churches and cathedrals to have a second and sometimes third altar) and more than one priest, then the DL can be held on the secondary altar by the second priest on the same day.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »

I'm not asking about Liturgy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:38:54 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:01:34 PM »

I think only the Liturgy has that sort of restriction. I haven't heard of any canon limiting prayer service attendance. That would be funny.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »

I think only the Liturgy has that sort of restriction. I haven't heard of any canon limiting prayer service attendance. That would be funny.
Would there be a restriction if attendance at DL is the only concern? For example, I might attend my own DL in the morning, but then visit the mission parish of another jurisdiction in my town that because of a rental situation has DL in the afternoon. (This is at least for me a hypothetical scenario.)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 09:54:15 PM »

Would there be a restriction if attendance at DL is the only concern? For example, I might attend my own DL in the morning, but then visit the mission parish of another jurisdiction in my town that because of a rental situation has DL in the afternoon. (This is at least for me a hypothetical scenario.)

No. Not canonically. Not that I could imagine. Unless you're a bear.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:32:10 AM »

No. Not canonically. Not that I could imagine. Unless you're a bear.
That's what I thought you would say. Just trying to clear up the ambiguity of "prayer service". Thanks.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »

I've asked one priest and he said there aren't and he is not forbidden eg. to serve two matins per day (and he sometimes does).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: