Author Topic: Dumb question  (Read 550 times)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
Dumb question
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:16:47 AM »
If the Liturgy is directly preceded by vigil with artoklasia is one is allowed to eat blessed bread if he wills to take Eucharist? Gap between eating and Eucharist no longer than 2 hours.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Dumb question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:19:24 AM »
I would say "no". Receive communion first, then eat the antidoron, then the bread blessed at the artoklasia.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
I would say "no". Receive communion first, then eat the antidoron, then the bread blessed at the artoklasia.

+1
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »

+1

+2

In some old times there was much longer gap between the blessing of the bread during litiya and the Communion, so then it was not problem, but now it's obvious you should keep the Eucharistic fast. Nowadays maybe on Athos and some other Greek places (and Russian old believers) do not omit anything during All-night Vigil + Liturgy, so eating by them the blessed brad is truly to keep strength for the rest of the service and by eating it they don't break Eucharistic fast.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »

+1

+2

In some old times there was much longer gap between the blessing of the bread during litiya and the Communion, so then it was not problem, but now it's obvious you should keep the Eucharistic fast. Nowadays maybe on Athos and some other Greek places (and Russian old believers) do not omit anything during All-night Vigil + Liturgy, so eating by them the blessed brad is truly to keep strength for the rest of the service and by eating it they don't break Eucharistic fast.

Great insight Dominika.