OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 12:59:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do you do your own taxes?  (Read 1196 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: January 06, 2013, 02:47:24 AM »

If so which system do you use? Any one program better or worse then another?

Proverbs 22:7
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:51:41 AM »

If so which system do you use? Any one program better or worse then another?

Yes. I use a pencil and a big notepad. When I'm sure I've got it right, I use ink on the 1040 EZ. I still like to do it that way. I know about the electronic thingy, and I find the old way simpler.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »

I use UFile. I prefer the stand alone version, rather than the online one. I find it a little more intuitive.

Just a little reminder: this forum is not called OrthodoxChristianityUSA.net  Wink Cheesy
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »

I use UFile. I prefer the stand alone version, rather than the online one. I find it a little more intuitive.

Just a little reminder: this forum is not called OrthodoxChristianityUSA.net  Wink Cheesy

True. Smiley

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »

this forum is not called OrthodoxChristianityUSA.net  Wink Cheesy

QFT!

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »

this forum is not called OrthodoxChristianityUSA.net  Wink Cheesy

QFT!

I forget about that quite often.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »

I've used this program since 2003 after I paid H&R Block $200 for a $3 refund.  Costs only $22 for Federal and State.  I don't eFile.  I have no complaints.

http://www.taxact.com
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:32:01 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 04:12:26 PM »

In the UK, we don't do taxes. Revenue & Customs do that in advance, and take out their cut before we even touch our paychecks. If we have a refund, they do it themselves as well, and just mail us a cheque.

Only the self-employed need to do taxes; the forms are on the local government site and they are pretty straightforward.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »

I use it: http://www.finanse.mf.gov.pl/systemy-informatyczne/e-deklaracje;jsessionid=357BECB682FCEE9E56D690A9A0A6A6CD

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »

In the UK, we don't do taxes. Revenue & Customs do that in advance, and take out their cut before we even touch our paychecks. If we have a refund, they do it themselves as well, and just mail us a cheque.

Only the self-employed need to do taxes; the forms are on the local government site and they are pretty straightforward.

Lucky you. In the U.S., just about everybody has to fill out some kind of form once a year, either paper or electronic, even though our taxes are taken out of our paychecks each time too.  Cheesy

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »

Lucky you. In the U.S., just about everybody has to fill out some kind of form once a year, either paper or electronic, even though our taxes are taken out of our paychecks each time too.  Cheesy

Same here.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »

Same here.

I had to do it in Greece. As I had no income but my paycheck, it was relatively easy, but my mother, who has some land inheritance, goes to an accountant to get it right. It's very convoluted.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »

So what information do they need to know ahead of time? For example, we can deduct charitable donations, medical expenses not covered by government plans (or reimbursed from any private coverage), contributions to private retirement funds, and a whole list of other things. It can be horrendously complicated. That's why so many of us use tax preparation software. Paying someone to do it really doesn't make much sense for most people, since these programs are so easy to use. Many of them are even free to people with low incomes.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 05:12:49 PM »

So what information do they need to know ahead of time? For example, we can deduct charitable donations, medical expenses not covered by government plans (or reimbursed from any private coverage), contributions to private retirement funds, and a whole list of other things. It can be horrendously complicated. That's why so many of us use tax preparation software. Paying someone to do it really doesn't make much sense for most people, since these programs are so easy to use. Many of them are even free to people with low incomes.

I don't know much about the system, but little of that would be applicable here. The state offers near-full healthcare and pension plans, so going private is an option you can afford and it's not the government's business to aid you. There's a range of tax credits, for which one can apply and be considered; most of them, though, are available only to very low-income people, and they don't apply retroactively. There's a very big crackdown on benefit fraud in recent years; just getting verified for child benefit (which every parent in the country is entitled to, regardless of income) was a downright nightmare.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »

Does anybody else do what I do and treat themselves to a little happy celebration dinner after they're done with their annual filing?  Smiley It's one of the few things I enjoy about tax time.

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »

Does anybody else do what I do and treat themselves to a little happy celebration dinner after they're done with their annual filing?  Smiley It's one of the few things I enjoy about tax time.
I wait until the refund has been deposited in my bank account  Smiley.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: