OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 10:44:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how sure are you that you will never change a denomination?  (Read 7150 times) Average Rating: 0
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: January 05, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »

Are you more than 1000% sure?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »

Several years of study have convinced me that there is no other Christian group that could tempt me to switch allegiances.

Once the wholeness of truth has been seen, the plotholes in other setups become more conspicuous than ever.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:58:54 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »

I don't intend to cease being Orthodox, even after the "Orthodox Church" apostatizes.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Nathanael
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »

1 Corinthians 10,12: "So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!"

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »

Well, I've already failed today, so that's out of the way.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:23:38 PM »

1 Corinthians 10,12: "So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!"

You have to be standing before you can fall.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »

I don't intend to cease being Orthodox, even after the "Orthodox Church" apostatizes.

Made me chuckle.

That's the spirit!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:31:17 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »

Because I have taken my time in figuring things out, and have attempted to be meticulous in the process, I am confident that wherever I end up (likely Eastern Catholicism) will be for good.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:35:19 PM by truthseeker32 » Logged
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »

are you reading my mind?

“God has no religion.”
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »

Wholly committed to Eastern Orthodoxy.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »

Because I have taken my time in figuring things out, and have attempted to be meticulous in the process, I am confident that wherever I end up (likely Eastern Catholicism) will be for good.

Catholicism? I thought you were an Orthodox. unless i am mistaken.

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 09:13:03 PM »

how did you fail buddy? what have you done?

“God has no religion.”
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 09:15:28 PM »

LOL, this forum needs a male/female icon on profiles....

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »

Yes, I am 1014% sure, because when I make my mind up I never ever change it!  Smiley
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »

LOL, this forum needs a male/female icon on profiles....

I agree with the hot chick. This gender confusion needs to stop.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 09:42:19 PM »

YAY! I'm hot!

I'm going to need this.
truthseeker32
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 12:46:25 AM »

No, I am not Orthodox. As I have said in other threads, I have studied Orthodoxy quite a bit and continue to study it, but in the end I found myself leaning towards Rome. That being said, I still have a great love for the Eastern Christian tradition, which is why I feel at home as an Eastern Catholic.
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 01:01:18 AM »

No, I am not Orthodox. As I have said in other threads, I have studied Orthodoxy quite a bit and continue to study it, but in the end I found myself leaning towards Rome. That being said, I still have a great love for the Eastern Christian tradition, which is why I feel at home as an Eastern Catholic.

Eastern Catholicism has always boggled my mind.  The theological language which the Romans use often seems to contradict the Eastern understanding of the Faith, and many Roman Catholics today would not understand an Eastern or Oriental Catholic's point of view when it came to many of their cherished doctrines. 

As to denomination, I can't say that I will never change.  It has been very tough for me before, and Orthodoxy is not an easy religion to practice.  I suppose a part of me is still accustomed to the way I was raised as a Baptist, by just "believing" and letting God do the rest.  Yet "narrow is the gate and strait is the way, and few there be that find it" -- I have no doubts about that part.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 02:18:53 AM »

I am 1,000,000% sure that if I were to ever apostate from Orthodoxy, it wouldn't be for another Christian denomination. I am 1,000,000% sure that Orthodoxy is the real deal and the most reasonable Christianity. If I were to ever apostate, it would be to an entirely different religion--probably either Buddhism or atheism.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 02:23:12 AM »

I am 1,000,000% sure that if I were to ever apostate from Orthodoxy, it wouldn't be for another Christian denomination. I am 1,000,000% sure that Orthodoxy is the real deal and the most reasonable Christianity. If I were to ever apostate, it would be to an entirely different religion--probably either Buddhism or atheism.

Neither of which should be called "religions".  Buddhism is very non-theistic, and atheism is a philosophy. 

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 02:38:01 AM »

I have no desire to be anything than what the Lord has given me, for He gave it as a gift. For me to deny His church, is to deny Him. Who was it that said? ...How can a man have God as His father without the church as His mother?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:39:02 AM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 03:10:46 AM »

Neither of which should be called "religions".  Buddhism is very non-theistic, and atheism is a philosophy.  

I disagree, both, especially atheism are both religions. Dawkins practices the religion of atheism as an example.

This is the same for me, I would not and could not leave Orthodoxy unless it was towards an absolute state of atheism. If the Christian God doesn't exist and Orthodoxy isn't true, then no other religion is true and no God exists.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:11:24 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 03:13:38 AM »

Neither of which should be called "religions".  Buddhism is very non-theistic, and atheism is a philosophy. 

I disagree, both, especially atheism are both religions. Dawkins practices the religion of atheism as an example.

This is the same for me, I would not and could not leave Orthodoxy unless it was towards an absolute state of atheism. If the Christian God doesn't exist and Orthodoxy isn't try, then no other religion is true and no God exists.

Define "religion"?   I always understood religion to be involving worship of a god, or gods. Atheism is godless by definition, and seeks to worship nothing.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 03:14:49 AM »

Define "religion"?   I always understood religion to be involving worship of a god, or gods. Atheism is godless by definition, and seeks to worship nothing.

Some people want to redefine the word so that atheism is a religion. Other people want to redefine the word so that Orthodoxy is not a religion. Sometimes you get to do a double facepalm when the same person does both.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:02 AM »

This is the same for me, I would not and could not leave Orthodoxy unless it was towards an absolute state of atheism. If the Christian God doesn't exist and Orthodoxy isn't try, then no other religion is true and no God exists.

Religions isn't worship of a god or gods, though it sometimes involves that. Buddhism is a religion, modern Atheism is a religion. A visit to Wikipedia or Dictionary.com will show good definitions of religion.

I would say that a man like Neil Degrasse Tyson isn't religious, whereas a man like Richard Dawkins is highly religious. One is apathetic toward religion and even towards atheism, he's a scientist and doesn't care much for such debate; the other has dedicated his whole life and being towards atheism and furthering its philosophy, doctrine and membership using a lot of rhetoric similar to Protestant Fundamentalists.
SavedByChrist94

Jurisdiction: Born-Again

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 03:32:02 AM »

"buddhism" worships a "budda" and  "atheism" believes in nothingness, both false religions.

There can only be One True Religion and that is Christianity.
Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 03:35:03 AM »

"buddhism" worships a "budda" and  "atheism" believes in nothingness, both false religions.

It would be closer to the truth to say that they venerate him.  Worship would be inaccurate.  You can study the life of Gautama Buddha, meditate on his statue -- but no one considers him a god.  Although sometimes it may appear as such, and that's because things have a hard time being translated into English from say Tibetan or Pali.

Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 03:37:33 AM »

Religions isn't worship of a god or gods, though it sometimes involves that. Buddhism is a religion, modern Atheism is a religion. A visit to Wikipedia or Dictionary.com will show good definitions of religion.

I would say that a man like Neil Degrasse Tyson isn't religious, whereas a man like Richard Dawkins is highly religious. One is apathetic toward religion and even towards atheism, he's a scientist and doesn't care much for such debate; the other has dedicated his whole life and being towards atheism and furthering its philosophy, doctrine and membership using a lot of rhetoric similar to Protestant Fundamentalists.

Yes and I saw no definition which indicates atheism would be a religion.

".
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

Atheism is not about believing or not believing in anything.  Most atheists would much rather look at facts, and what can be proven rather than a personal set of beliefs.  That's closer to knowledge and understanding, not a matter of belief and faith.

SavedByChrist94

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 03:38:46 AM »

It would be closer to the truth to say that they venerate him.  Worship would be inaccurate.  You can study the life of Gautama Buddha, meditate on his statue -- but no one considers him a god.  Although sometimes it may appear as such, and that's because things have a hard time being translated into English from say Tibetan or Pali.

They worship the liar "buddha". as "atheist" worship nothingness, leading their lives nowhere.
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 03:40:56 AM »

Yes and I saw no definition which indicates atheism would be a religion.

".
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

Atheism is not about believing or not believing in anything.  Most atheists would much rather look at facts, and what can be proven rather than a personal set of beliefs.  That's closer to knowledge and understanding, not a matter of belief and faith.

God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) of The Bible is a Fact, an Objective Reality, so your statement is false, "atheist" therefore do not look or know the Facts. Christianity ain't some faith, only a faith when you don't know the Facts, after knowing The Facts it becomes as true as eating dinner, takes no faith or belief for that, it's just a Fact, like the Fact that I exist.
Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 03:44:10 AM »

Ah so now you get to determine what is a fact? So much more for the scientific method and all of the progress we've made...  Wink

SavedByChrist94

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 04:57:02 AM »

Ah so now you get to determine what is a fact? So much more for the scientific method and all of the progress we've made...  Wink

Nope, Actually Science(Creation ex Nihilo, First Uncaused Cause, The Shroud, "macro-evolution" being a myth, Intelligent Design Fact, Mind-Body Dualism being a Fact/Mind is Immaterial), Philosophy("naturalism" is impossible, Morality), History(The Bible, Jesus Christ Resurrection being a Fact of Life), Logical(Ontological, God has to necessarily exist) determines what is Fact, and Science says that Factually, 100%, God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) exists and The Bible is The Objective Truth.

now, what proof and evidence is there against these Facts?

None.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 05:01:17 AM »

So things are facts because you capitalize them in mid-sentence?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 05:03:58 AM »

Nope, Actually Science(Creation ex Nihilo, First Uncaused Cause, The Shroud, "macro-evolution" being a myth, Intelligent Design Fact, Mind-Body Dualism being a Fact/Mind is Immaterial), Philosophy("naturalism" is impossible, Morality), History(The Bible, Jesus Christ Resurrection being a Fact of Life), Logical(Ontological, God has to necessarily exist) determines what is Fact, and Science says that Factually, 100%, God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) exists and The Bible is The Objective Truth.

None.

Shocked

You'll never convince anybody of anything if you keep writing garbled paragraphs like this. I have no idea what you are talking about.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 05:04:51 AM »

According to the School of the Interwebs, I guess so.
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 05:14:10 AM »

So you could refute what I said by asking an insecure question?

if your going to refute then refute, if you can't then just say it, no need to make yourself look bad. 3 options, Refute, don't refute, or show insecurity by throwing jokes to off put or slide away from a rebuttal.
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 05:16:55 AM »

You'll never convince anybody of anything if you keep writing garbled paragraphs like this.

All that was in that post was Facts(First Uncaused Cause and Shroud for example), All I need is Proof, Evidence, and Facts, you and "atheist"'s/"agnostics"/"buddhist"/ and anything contrary to The Gospel can keep your wise cracks to yourself, no place for debate.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes you do.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 05:26:38 AM »

Do you speak German as your first language? They capitalize nouns, don't they? Also, it would explain why your command of English, even in these days of the series of tubes called the Interwebs, is so very interesting.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 05:35:15 AM »

So you could refute what I said by asking an insecure question?

if your going to refute then refute, if you can't then just say it, no need to make yourself look bad. 3 options, Refute, don't refute, or show insecurity by throwing jokes to off put or slide away from a rebuttal.

I don't need to refute anything. You're silly and five and go to your room.

Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 06:27:02 AM »

None.

None of those are sciences, those are only related to theology and therefore cannot be considered objective facts. 

Andrew Crook
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 06:28:32 AM »

You'll never convince anybody of anything if you keep writing garbled paragraphs like this.

All that was in that post was Facts(First Uncaused Cause and Shroud for example), All I need is Proof, Evidence, and Facts, you and "atheist"'s/"agnostics"/"buddhist"/ and anything contrary to The Gospel can keep your wise cracks to yourself, no place for debate.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes you do.

It gets tiring debating with those who go round in circles, and don't really think carefully about what they're typing...   "Does this make sense?" would be a good question to ask one's self. "Why or why not?"

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »

This is true, but it is also true that the majority of buddhists in the world worships spirits and gods.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ashman618
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »

None.

So your saying science, philosophy, history and logic determines what is fact, correct?

The ressurection of Christ is not in a sense a verifiable fact to some people cuz they can't observe it, so I think that would qualify as a belief, no? So you would have to present the evidence to prove that belief as fact not the other way around, I think

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »

Define "god".

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 12:41:54 PM »

They worship the liar "buddha"

No they do not and it's a lot more complicated than that with different sorts of Buddhism.  Presuming that you are referring to Siddhartha Gautama who has the title of "Buddha" what statement of his do you think are "lies"?    Have your read any thing about any form of Buddhism and if so can you tell us what they are please?

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: