OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 27, 2014, 06:54:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saddest and Most Poorly Done Documentary I Have Ever Seen  (Read 925 times) Average Rating: 0
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« on: January 04, 2013, 07:34:04 PM »

I don't know what's sadder, the fact that this exists or the fact that it has almost 400,000 views and only 297 dislikes

Can someone cheer me up with a worse documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT8_faUmR1w&NR=1&feature=endscreen

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:37:14 PM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:39:08 PM »

Even the title is misleading. The text in this video is, if I remember correctly, the Didache.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:41:39 PM »

I went all splodeyhead just by reading the blurb. I'll pass on the viewing. I'll never get back those 8.30 minutes!

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »

I thought this was going to be about that Orthodixie travesty.

Oh well.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »

I figured Zeitgeist 2. Lots of stuff floating around I wouldn't want to watch...

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider." - Francis Bacon
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »

Oh wow lol.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »

One could pretend to be watching a documentary when watching an hour of any early morning hour televangelist.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:27:01 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_silence (logical fallacies 101)

I wasted another 8 minutes of my life watching that. Random notes typed while watching:

I.  Argument from Silence from the Epistle of James
    A. Argument from what isn't in the book of James is inductive, inferring what is claimed proven. No mention of the blood of Jesus, blah blah blah.
    B. Where does the epistle of James say its purpose is to present a systematic theology summarizing every facet of Christian belief?
    C. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
II. Argument from Silence from the Didache
    A. Another argument from silence. No mention of the virgin birth, etc.
    B. The Didache is not especially controversial for us as the video presents; neither is a chain of really bad arguments.
III. Claim that that for 2000 years Jesus's divinity has been emphasized while his essential humanity and the humanity of his teachings 
    have been lost for 2000 years.
    A. A duffer's error. One must first understand a position to critique it with minimal adequacy.
IV. Claim that Christ's family did not believe he was God, and that there was an effort to delete them from the Christian story.
    A. Merely asserted, and quite indemonstrable.
V. Jude denounces a group for corrupting the faith. Follow the tradition of the family.
    A. Nothing much here.
    B. The family of Jesus was a part of the community which contextualizes the earliest material e.g. the primitive speeches in Acts, which
        translate easily into Aramaic, which go back to the period before Jerusalem was wiped off the map in AD 70, etc.
       Cf. http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Jesus-Christ-Devotion-Christianity/dp/0802831672  Conserving presence of living eyewitnesses.
VI. Under Constantine it was Paul's interpretation that was adopted, but this was based only on a mystical vision. By contrast, James's
   vision of Christ as a mere human character was declared heresy.
    A. "James's vision" or the videographer's inferential metanarrative.
    B. Assume and assert what one claims to set out to prove -with negative evidence and inference.
    C. Fails to address Paul's visit to the "pillars" in Galatians (first hand autobiographical source) including James and John, which most  
        contemporary scholars place very soon after the crucifixion; coordination with Jerusalem leaders in Acts 15 under James presiding, etc.
VII. The Quran is therefore true.  Q. E. D.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:57:59 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:39:43 AM »

I don't know what's sadder, the fact that this exists or the fact that it has almost 400,000 views and only 297 dislikes

Truth is not required for anything anymore.  As long as it justifies your views, say whatever you want, bend whatever information you have, lie if you must, but people don’t want to hear truth anymore.  They want to hear confirmation of their views.  I was about two sentences into the video when I stopped.  When the first things you hear are wrong, don't waste any more time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:40:50 AM by Kerdy » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 02:28:22 AM »

I saw this movie on Youtube before, and my memory is that it is actually one of the "Skeptics'" documentaries on Christianity, rather than a Muslim one. (In this particular version, the youtube poster started the clip at the photo of Jerusalem's mosque, instead of the opening credits.)

I remember considering posting the clip to OC.net's forum because it focused on the Didache, but then decided it was not worth it.

Peace.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 05:09:33 AM »

Truth is not required for anything anymore.  As long as it justifies your views, say whatever you want, bend whatever information you have, lie if you must, but people don’t want to hear truth anymore.  They want to hear confirmation of their views.  I was about two sentences into the video when I stopped.  When the first things you hear are wrong, don't waste any more time.

Amen.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 06:41:04 AM »

Nice, xariskai.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 04:09:49 AM »

I was watching the History Channel's "Mysteries of the Bible" program dealing with the prophets. It was interesting and impressive.

Then, the last third of the documentary begins with the expert saying - as if it is a real nonbiased academic fact: "But the prophet Isaiah and the book of Isaiah speaks not about Jesus but rather about this future ideal Davidic king."

OK... Is the program emphasizing rabbinical scholars for some reason?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=qm_F-fWlaLo&NR=1

I'm looking forward to watching the rest, though.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:17:24 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »

Dr. Robert Beckford has several such documentaries out.  Watching that stuff seems fascinating for those with little knowledge about the subject, but as with the History Channel -- they can be riddled with inaccuracies.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
SavedByChrist94

Jurisdiction: Born-Again

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 04:29:34 AM »

Nope, Old Bible, proves quran false, 2 verses from Old Testament needed,

Jeremiah 23:5-6
5 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
    “when I will raise up for David[a] a righteous Branch,
a King who will reign wisely
    and do what is just and right in the land.
6 In his days Judah will be saved
    and Israel will live in safety.
This is the name by which he will be called:
    The Lord Our Righteous Savior.

The Messiah is God Himself(Jesus Christ)

2, Genesis 1:26
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

This proves The Trinity.

the quran never says anything about The Trinity or being Multiple persons yet One God, however The New Testament does,  Inadvertently I might add.

the quran is false.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 05:31:59 AM »

Well, that about wraps it up!
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »

I would like to see someone's reaction to the first two sentences of the link I posted.  Tongue
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_silence (logical fallacies 101)

I wasted another 8 minutes of my life watching that. Random notes typed while watching:

I.  Argument from Silence from the Epistle of James
    A. Argument from what isn't in the book of James is inductive, inferring what is claimed proven. No mention of the blood of Jesus, blah blah blah.
    B. Where does the epistle of James say its purpose is to present a systematic theology summarizing every facet of Christian belief?
    C. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
II. Argument from Silence from the Didache
    A. Another argument from silence. No mention of the virgin birth, etc.
    B. The Didache is not especially controversial for us as the video presents; neither is a chain of really bad arguments.
III. Claim that that for 2000 years Jesus's divinity has been emphasized while his essential humanity and the humanity of his teachings 
    have been lost for 2000 years.
    A. A duffer's error. One must first understand a position to critique it with minimal adequacy.
IV. Claim that Christ's family did not believe he was God, and that there was an effort to delete them from the Christian story.
    A. Merely asserted, and quite indemonstrable.
V. Jude denounces a group for corrupting the faith. Follow the tradition of the family.
    A. Nothing much here.
    B. The family of Jesus was a part of the community which contextualizes the earliest material e.g. the primitive speeches in Acts, which
        translate easily into Aramaic, which go back to the period before Jerusalem was wiped off the map in AD 70, etc.
       Cf. http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Jesus-Christ-Devotion-Christianity/dp/0802831672  Conserving presence of living eyewitnesses.
VI. Under Constantine it was Paul's interpretation that was adopted, but this was based only on a mystical vision. By contrast, James's
   vision of Christ as a mere human character was declared heresy.
    A. "James's vision" or the videographer's inferential metanarrative.
    B. Assume and assert what one claims to set out to prove -with negative evidence and inference.
    C. Fails to address Paul's visit to the "pillars" in Galatians (first hand autobiographical source) including James and John, which most  
        contemporary scholars place very soon after the crucifixion; coordination with Jerusalem leaders in Acts 15 under James presiding, etc.
VII. The Quran is therefore true.  Q. E. D.

I'm glad I am not you.

But I am glad you are.

Cheers!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: