OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:57:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Readings  (Read 347 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« on: February 01, 2013, 04:55:03 AM »

I am certain I probably should not be this way, but if there is not going to be a Liturgy, I don't attend the reading.  Having never attended, I do not know what I am missing out on and was hoping someone could provide at least a couple of really good reasons I should change.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:57:02 AM »

You don't go to Typica? It's the awesomest man! It's far out! Grin

Seriously though, it's just nice going to it (says the inconsistent church-goer). Think of it as like a vespers or some other service if that helps.

Building up my spiritual life one blurry avatar at a time!
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:26:12 AM »

Having never been, is there anything different than any other service?  Incense, singing, etc.?
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »

I've never been to a Typika service either. I've browsed through the Reader Service Horologion, but I'm curious to actually see how it is structured.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 01:43:06 AM »

Matthew 18:20  "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

You go because you want to be in the presence of Our Lord. Nothing else is more meaningful and important than that, so why wouldn't you want to go!?

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 02:21:57 AM »

Having never been, is there anything different than any other service?  Incense, singing, etc.?

Most often I've seen it done in Lent, with the 9th Hour, before the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.

It's just a quick read through the 3 Antiphons (Psalms 102, 145 and the Beatitudes, with some prostrations in Lent) and the Creed. No readings from the Apostle/Gospel. The Beatitudes and the Kontakia at the end would be sung, though.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:22:53 AM by Romaios » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: