OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 01:44:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death Reference in Genesis 2:15  (Read 669 times) Average Rating: 0
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« on: January 03, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »

In Genesis 2:15, God tells Adam not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil lest he die. However, at this point, Adam would have no point of reference of what death was or what it meant to die. How could Adam have understood this?

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:10:08 PM »

Well he knew how plants were eaten and discorporated, and could contemplate seperation from God, maybe?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »

In Genesis 2:15, God tells Adam not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil lest he die. However, at this point, Adam would have no point of reference of what death was or what it meant to die. How could Adam have understood this?

That may be the point. Do we really know the consequences of disobeying God today?  Even now do we may have a point of reference of what salvation will be?
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »

This can be taken 2 ways I think.

For those who do not take the creation story 100% literal, an explanation is not needed.

For those who do, it could be argued that Adam maybe saw other creatures die, so he would have a reference?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:08:05 AM »

God warned Adam that he would die if he ate from the tree. Adam knew about intuitively, but had no experiential knowledge. God would not talk, if you did not understand Him. Yet, what actually happened is that he was actually lead into error by satan; he did not eat of the tree by his own initiative.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:08:25 AM by IoanC » Logged

Twenty Nine

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:11:29 AM »

I don't take this passage as literal, per se. Adam would not know/understand death a priori. Therefore, I think it is an interesting question from an epistemological standpoint.

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »

I don't take this passage as literal, per se. Adam would not know/understand death a priori. Therefore, I think it is an interesting question from an epistemological standpoint.

Yet, also, God would not talk in order to not keep quiet.  Smiley

Knee V

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 01:17:09 PM »

It could also be that eating of the fruit of the trees didn't bring death to the fruit, at least not in a way that we're used to. We don't kill Christ when His flesh and blood are divided and consumed by us in the Eucharist - He's already been raised from the dead. I would say that it is also possible that although the fruit was life-giving and aided our communion with God, it didn't "die", per se, when we ate it.

Just a thought.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: