Author Topic: Death Reference in Genesis 2:15  (Read 932 times)

Offline Twenty Nine

• Faith: Orthodox
Death Reference in Genesis 2:15
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
In Genesis 2:15, God tells Adam not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil lest he die. However, at this point, Adam would have no point of reference of what death was or what it meant to die. How could Adam have understood this?
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
Re: Death Reference in Genesis 2:15
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:10:08 PM »
Well he knew how plants were eaten and discorporated, and could contemplate seperation from God, maybe?
Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

http://hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com/

Offline AWR

• Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.
  • Expelled from Paradise
    • Church  of the Mother of God
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »
In Genesis 2:15, God tells Adam not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil lest he die. However, at this point, Adam would have no point of reference of what death was or what it meant to die. How could Adam have understood this?

That may be the point. Do we really know the consequences of disobeying God today?  Even now do we may have a point of reference of what salvation will be?

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »
This can be taken 2 ways I think.

For those who do not take the creation story 100% literal, an explanation is not needed.

For those who do, it could be argued that Adam maybe saw other creatures die, so he would have a reference?

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:08:05 AM »
God warned Adam that he would die if he ate from the tree. Adam knew about intuitively, but had no experiential knowledge. God would not talk, if you did not understand Him. Yet, what actually happened is that he was actually lead into error by satan; he did not eat of the tree by his own initiative.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:08:25 AM by IoanC »

Offline Twenty Nine

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:11:29 AM »
I don't take this passage as literal, per se. Adam would not know/understand death a priori. Therefore, I think it is an interesting question from an epistemological standpoint.
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »
I don't take this passage as literal, per se. Adam would not know/understand death a priori. Therefore, I think it is an interesting question from an epistemological standpoint.

Yet, also, God would not talk in order to not keep quiet.  :)

Offline Knee V

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 01:17:09 PM »
It could also be that eating of the fruit of the trees didn't bring death to the fruit, at least not in a way that we're used to. We don't kill Christ when His flesh and blood are divided and consumed by us in the Eucharist - He's already been raised from the dead. I would say that it is also possible that although the fruit was life-giving and aided our communion with God, it didn't "die", per se, when we ate it.

Just a thought.