OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:44:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Great and Holy Synod and Rome  (Read 2975 times) Average Rating: 0
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 04:10:06 AM »

I don't see any of these attempts at top-down reunification as likely to produce any fruit in our lifetimes, unless by "fruit" you mean ripping the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church in twain, with Antioch, Constantinople, and their followers going one way and the Slavs and Jerusalemites and their followers going the other. But even that's a bit far-fetched.

Personally, I think the reunion is more likely to happen this way:

1. Rome grows more and more ecumenist and liberal over time.
2. Rome eventually does something egregiously and undeniably heretical, like ordaining women to the presbyterate.
3. Sensible Roman Catholics join the Orthodox Western Rite en masse.
4. Orthodoxy becomes a major force in the West and what's left of the Roman Catholic Church becomes the Episcopal Church--Patriarchate of Italy.
5. The Eastern Catholics (referring here specifically to the non-Maronites, who were originally Orthodox and whose proper name may not here be spoken) flip back to Orthodoxy.

That said, this can only happen if Rome heads left, and at the moment, she seems slowly to be heading right, so reunion is not on the horizon.

I am worried about the Synod though.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 07:09:42 AM »

Don't worry, none of the Holy Orthodox Churches are advocating for real union with the Roman Catholic Church; and the dialogues have produced no common ground which could lead to reconciliation of the issues that divide the churches.  The Catholic Church is not going to acquiesce to renouncing the innovative dogmas they developed and the Orthodox Church is not going to accept their innovations, despite the rhetoric associated with the "Dialogue of Love" most apparent during the mutual exchange of delegations during the patronal feasts of the Church of Rome and the Church of Constantinople.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »

Something which is happening already.

2. Rome eventually does something egregiously and undeniably heretical, like ordaining women to the presbyterate.
Not with the current pontiff in office. But IMHO there will be a pontiff that will try to make this happen.

YAY! We need more Smiley I say J Michael and Papist should come over right away Smiley

4. Orthodoxy becomes a major force in the West and what's left of the Roman Catholic Church becomes the Episcopal Church--Patriarchate of Italy.
Ehhhhh, depends on your definition of The West. If you mean western Europe, then yeah probably. If you mean the Americas, I dont think so. Many RC's of hispanic decent or transplants (like Italians for example) are pretty darn devoted.

5. The Eastern Catholics (referring here specifically to the non-Maronites, who were originally Orthodox and whose proper name may not here be spoken) flip back to Orthodoxy.
Where they belong Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »

I think that if the RC reached such an awful state, we would have parallel popes like in the Western schism and eventually one of them would reunite the church. People would not convert massivelly to Orthodoxy. To put trust in a "strong man to lead us" is not a Roman thing, it is a human thing and it is the temptation that got its expression and defines the Roman heresy. Those who truly feel codepedent in their faith toward this "strong man" will not give this up and this is a marking trait of all Latin cultures both in Europe and in the Americas who would probably form their own "popes", probably within some Western ethnic groups (a French pope, an Iberic pope, a German/Anglo-Saxon pope for the non-Latins, a Latin-American pope etc). Cut that out and people feel disoriented, depressed, desperate, but very few ever question the value of the "strong man" and just pray and wish another one will come.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:07:51 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »

Something which is happening already.

Not with the current pontiff in office. But IMHO there will be a pontiff that will try to make this happen.

YAY! We need more Smiley I say J Michael and Papist should come over right away Smiley

Ehhhhh, depends on your definition of The West. If you mean western Europe, then yeah probably. If you mean the Americas, I dont think so. Many RC's of hispanic decent or transplants (like Italians for example) are pretty darn devoted.

Where they belong Smiley

PP

Hey, PP, thanks for the warm invitation  Wink.  For a number of reasons that I won't go into publicly I did flip to Orthodoxy, but it was a flop.  Sad, but true.  I'll stay with the Catholic Church and when possible, attend a Byzantine Catholic parish.

If, during my lifetime, some idiotic pope decides to ordain women to the priesthood  Shocked Roll Eyes...well, I'll cross that bridge if I get to it.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »

Hey, PP, thanks for the warm invitation  .  For a number of reasons that I won't go into publicly I did flip to Orthodoxy, but it was a flop.  Sad, but true.  I'll stay with the Catholic Church and when possible, attend a Byzantine Catholic parish.

If, during my lifetime, some idiotic pope decides to ordain women to the priesthood   ...well, I'll cross that bridge if I get to it.
Fair enough buddy Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »

Hey, PP, thanks for the warm invitation  .  For a number of reasons that I won't go into publicly I did flip to Orthodoxy, but it was a flop.  Sad, but true.  I'll stay with the Catholic Church and when possible, attend a Byzantine Catholic parish.

If, during my lifetime, some idiotic pope decides to ordain women to the priesthood   ...well, I'll cross that bridge if I get to it.
Fair enough buddy Smiley

PP
I was going to chime in with a "J Michael isn't a ping-pong ball" response to your earlier post, but now it looks like you two have already worked it out.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »

Well, the Episcopal Church together with the Anglican Church of Cananda make up the most liberal 5% of the Anglican Communion, hence they're the farthest from Catholicism. If any Anglicans are at all similar to us it would be the 50% or so of them that are in Africa. (And of course a few small groups like the ACNA.)

"Non-Maronite" is an insufficient qualifier. You'd really have to say "non-Maronite, non-Chaldean, non-Syro-Malabarese, Eastern Catholics." Just saying.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »

Fair enough buddy Smiley

PP
I was going to chime in with a "J Michael isn't a ping-pong ball" response to your earlier post, but now it looks like you two have already worked it out.

We were never at odds, but thanks for your considerate thought nonetheless  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »

*stuffs cotton in hears* Lalalalalalalalalala...

This makes me sad.  Undecided Why do we need union so badly that we seek these compromises? What is the point? The Church has been here for two thousand years for those that seek it. What is the point?

Hmm...

So is your position that, not only are protestants, Catholics, and Oriental Orthodox outside of the church, but in fact we don't even seek it?

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »

I think that if the RC reached such an awful state, we would have parallel popes like in the Western schism and eventually one of them would reunite the church. People would not convert massivelly to Orthodoxy. To put trust in a "strong man to lead us" is not a Roman thing, it is a human thing and it is the temptation that got its expression and defines the Roman heresy. Those who truly feel codepedent in their faith toward this "strong man" will not give this up and this is a marking trait of all Latin cultures both in Europe and in the Americas who would probably form their own "popes", probably within some Western ethnic groups (a French pope, an Iberic pope, a German/Anglo-Saxon pope for the non-Latins, a Latin-American pope etc). Cut that out and people feel disoriented, depressed, desperate, but very few ever question the value of the "strong man" and just pray and wish another one will come.

There's an old saying "Every protestants is his/her own pope" (or something like that).

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »

*stuffs cotton in hears* Lalalalalalalalalala...

This makes me sad.  Undecided Why do we need union so badly that we seek these compromises? What is the point? The Church has been here for two thousand years for those that seek it. What is the point?

Hmm...

So is your position that, not only are protestants, Catholics, and Oriental Orthodox outside of the church, but in fact we don't even seek it?
You're reading too far into it. The Orthodox Church is here for those that seek it. It wasn't intended as a dogmatic incitement.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »

Really? In my experience, human nature seems to be the complete opposite. People are often very skeptical of any kind of authority and want to rebel against it. Perhaps this is just because of my Protestant background. The people I have grown up with are much more content just reading their Bible and "letting the Holy Spirit lead them" than submitting to a Priest, Bishop, or Pope.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2013, 06:27:07 PM »

Well, the Episcopal Church together with the Anglican Church of Cananda make up the most liberal 5% of the Anglican Communion, hence they're the farthest from Catholicism. If any Anglicans are at all similar to us it would be the 50% or so of them that are in Africa. (And of course a few small groups like the ACNA.)

I didn't actually mean you'd become part of the Episcopal Church; it was a commentary on what you'd effectively be if you fell that far. So far you haven't, but recall that an earlier premise of this hypothetical was women's ordination and the exodus of conservative Catholics from the Church, so thinking you'd become like the Episcopalians after that is not unreasonable.

"Non-Maronite" is an insufficient qualifier. You'd really have to say "non-Maronite, non-Chaldean, non-Syro-Malabarese, Eastern Catholics." Just saying.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. Though I must say that the word which must not be written would come in quite handy here.

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Deacon Lance
Archon

Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 09:51:13 PM »

Fair enough. I stand corrected. Though I must say that the word which must not be written would come in quite handy here.

Not at all.  To qualify one would have to be Orthodox and then unite with Rome.  Today's Eastern Catholics have never been Orthodox. 

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »

Not at all.  To qualify one would have to be Orthodox and then unite with Rome.  Today's Eastern Catholics have never been Orthodox. 

But their Churches were.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »

Not at all.  To qualify one would have to be Orthodox and then unite with Rome.  Today's Eastern Catholics have never been Orthodox.  

But their Churches were.

But it's still a stretch to call them by the WWMNBW -- well, unless you're using that word in the sense that the New Catholic Dictionary used it. If that's the case, then you ought to be aware of another term used by that same dictionary.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:53:49 PM by Peter J » Logged

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:46 PM »

Not at all.  To qualify one would have to be Orthodox and then unite with Rome.  Today's Eastern Catholics have never been Orthodox.  

But their Churches were.

But it's still a stretch to call them by the WWMNBW -- well, unless you're using that word in the sense that the New Catholic Dictionary used it. If that's the case, then you ought to be aware of another term used by that same dictionary.

No, I'm not using their sense (which would, it seems, be identical to "Eastern Catholics").

I'm using it to mean "A Church (not an individual) which was once Orthodox and is now in communion with Rome, or a member of such a Church."

By Fr. Deacon Lance's definition, would not an individual convert from Russian Orthodoxy to the Latin Church be considered a WWMNBW?

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2013, 01:01:43 AM »

But their Churches were.

No, I'm not using their sense (which would, it seems, be identical to "Eastern Catholics").

I'm using it to mean "A Church (not an individual) which was once Orthodox and is now in communion with Rome, or a member of such a Church."

By Fr. Deacon Lance's definition, would not an individual convert from Russian Orthodoxy to the Latin Church be considered a WWMNBW?

Well, he said that "To qualify one would have to be Orthodox and then unite with Rome." I.e. he said that was a necessary condition, not that it was a sufficient condition.

Anyhow, it's getting a bit late here in New England, but I'll probably think more about this tomorrow.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »

I didn't actually mean you'd become part of the Episcopal Church;

Well, yeah. Your post wasn't nearly unclear enough to give that impression.

it was a commentary on what you'd effectively be if you fell that far. So far you haven't, but recall that an earlier premise of this hypothetical was women's ordination and the exodus of conservative Catholics from the Church, so thinking you'd become like the Episcopalians after that is not unreasonable.

Alright I guess that makes sense (assuming its far-fetched premise). Essentially an extension of the idea that the Church of England has been (or is becoming) the Episcopal Church since adopting women's ordination, and likewise the Old Catholics (just a step or two behind the CoE).

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »

Getting to the original topic ...

What I find particularly interesting is this comment:

The mature fruit of this knowledge is the progressive agreement upon particular points, an agreement, which on the tally of disagreements and agreements, will continuously increase the sum of the agreements until all disagreements are eclipsed. On that day, we will all, united in faith and love, jointly glorify our Savior Christ, Who will have led us through fire and water to refreshment.

Some of this is particularly worrying.

I probably won't surprise you that, as a Catholic, I have a slightly different take on it. To me it isn't so much worrying as wearying. I can already anticipate a great many Catholics reading that and getting excited -- it's kind of like having bunch roommates who start jumping up and down every time they see "You may have already won" in the mail.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:23:08 PM by Peter J » Logged

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »

I know a few Orthodox that are feeling likewise. I think there are a number on both sides that don't fully understand the hurdles.

I had an elderly Greek man come up and tell me when I was doing church tours that our hierarchs had everything sorted out and that the only thing they needed to agree on was the date of Easter, then the Catholic and Orthodox Churches would have union.

I wish that's all there was.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: