OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:49:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incense  (Read 1835 times) Average Rating: 0
pinkbutterfly79

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greece

« on: January 02, 2013, 02:31:54 PM »

Hi all i just wanted to ask is it ok to burn incense after sundown,  this is what i have been taught!!!!!
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »

There are no canons AFAIK about when and when not to burn incense. Besides, liturgical practice is different from home practice. Personal practice and conviction varies in every household.
Burn away! Smiley

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »

There are plenty of church services that take place after sundown, with plentiful incense. Smiley Burn it when you feel the need to, and don't worry.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:17:16 AM »

Hi all i just wanted to ask is it ok to burn incense after sundown,  this is what i have been taught!!!!!

Welcome to the board. I am curious as to what the pretext is to this question? There must be some interesting context to this question.

Joseph
pinkbutterfly79

Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:31:49 AM »

To Armithea,  i was just curious cause all my life my mom or grandma would always incense the house but always before the sunset, and i see other people doing it but always before the sun sets,  i was brought up with the knowledge that you don't incense after the sunset, but now that i am learning more about Orthodoxy just felt like asking the question. . .
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 04:44:31 AM »

I tend to associate incense with the evening because of this verse:

"Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice." (Ps. 141:2)

I know this is not talking about literal incense, but I just think of these things together because of this verse.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:39:11 AM »

I was able to burn incense at will when I had my man cave in the garage.  Now that I have moved and no longer have a garage, I am unable to burn incense.  It sets off the fire alarm. Embarrassed
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »

I'm lucky the fire alarm is downstairs, while the icon corner is upstairs. The sensor is ridiculously sensitive. Undecided

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 04:19:17 PM »

I'm lucky the fire alarm is downstairs, while the icon corner is upstairs. The sensor is ridiculously sensitive. Undecided
So you're saying that the sensor is sensitive to the incense from your censer?
 Smiley
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:23:00 PM by Antonis » Logged

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »

Smiley

I haven't put it to the test, but considering its reaction to grilling sausages, it would go absolutely berserk. Wink
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:33:42 PM by Arachne » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46:39 AM »

To Armithea,  i was just curious cause all my life my mom or grandma would always incense the house but always before the sunset, and i see other people doing it but always before the sun sets,  i was brought up with the knowledge that you don't incense after the sunset, but now that i am learning more about Orthodoxy just felt like asking the question. . .

This is very common in many Orthodox countries, for pious people to offer incense one or a couple times a day, blessing each room and person in the house with it. Like having icons in the house, it sanctifies the place.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 12:48:12 AM »

Smiley

I haven't put it to the test, but considering its reaction to grilling sausages, it would go absolutely berserk. Wink

Your smoke alarm must be a vegan low church Protestant.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:57:43 PM »

Smiley

Your smoke alarm must be a vegan low church Protestant.
On the vegan low church Protestants and their hellish smoke alarms...

ANATHEMA!

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 02:05:16 AM »

No, burn it whenever you want.  Burn a lot, as they say it chokes the demons! 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:08 AM »

Well, I normally burn incense during "Lord, I have Cried" when I'm reading Vespers at home (as I pretty much always have to- no Byzantine parish for miles around Sad ) I also burn some before the Matins Gospel.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »

I was able to burn incense at will when I had my man cave in the garage.  Now that I have moved and no longer have a garage, I am unable to burn incense.  It sets off the fire alarm. Embarrassed

Yeah, I should really put the fire alarms back up. 
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 10:09:31 PM »

Key to whether the alarm goes off, is the size of the particulates. It doesn't follow, from smoking sausages making it go off, that a home censer would have the same result.

So I've been told.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 10:48:10 PM »

Smiley

Our smoke alarm trips whenever there is a large solar flare or X-flare. Even C-flares from the sun have tripped the sensor and we hear bleeps from the hallway censor. Does anyone else have a smoke alarm that is sensitive to solar flares and X-flares? During this time of never ceasing sunspots, we are often awaken in the wee hours of the mornings. Wish there were some way to disconnect that thing, but that would be illegal.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:56:49 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »

Key to whether the alarm goes off, is the size of the particulates. It doesn't follow, from smoking sausages making it go off, that a home censer would have the same result.

So I've been told.

Why?  It's still smoke.  
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 10:57:27 PM »

So I've been told.

Why?  It's still smoke.  

but it is HOLY smoke.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »

Smiley

Our smoke alarm trips whenever there is a large solar flare or X-flare. Even C-flares from the sun have tripped the sensor and we hear bleeps from the hallway censor. Does anyone else have a smoke alarm that is sensitive to solar flares and X-flares? During this time of never ceasing sunspots, we are often awaken in the wee mornings. Wish there were some way to disconnect that thing, but that would be illegal.

I haven't heard of that before, but it is a sort of nuisance tripping.  You might try changing them out.  

I don't know that it is illegal, but it is against the fire code, and home insurers probably won't pay on a fire in a building with no FAs installed.

Okay, you're right.  I'll go put them up right now, or at least one of them in the main area.  
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 11:00:04 PM »

So I've been told.

Why?  It's still smoke.  

but it is HOLY smoke.

Smiley
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 12:34:42 AM »

Maria, unless you are having trouble with other electronic devices in your home, the fire alarm nuisance tripping is likely not caused by solar flares.  You may have brown outs in your area too, depending on the electrical grid demand. 

The batteries could be low, the fire alarm device could be worn out, or dirty, or even if it is as you say, from solar flares, they may be damaged.

Here from the Fire Marshal:

Smoke Alarm Facts

How effective are smoke alarms?

Residential fire deaths have decreased steadily as the number of homes with smoke alarms increased. Reports from the National Fire Protection Association show that people have nearly a 50 percent better chance of surviving a fire if their home has the recommended number of smoke alarms.

When do I need to replace my smoke alarm?

Smoke alarms that are 10 years old are near the end of their service life and should be replaced. Some people think that their smoke alarm sits idle until smoke is present. But it is working every minute, constantly monitoring the air 24 hours a day. For example, an ionization smoke alarm goes through 3.5 million monitoring cycles in 10 years. In a photoelectric smoke alarm, a light operates 24 hours a day to check for smoke particles in the air.

Just like any electrical appliance, the components of smoke alarms wear out over time. When a smoke alarm reaches 10 years of use, the potential of failing to detect a fire increases substantially. Replacing them after 10 years reduces the likelihood of failure.

My smoke alarms are wired into my electrical system. Do I need to replace them as often as battery-operated alarms?

Yes. Both the hard-wired and battery-operated alarms are equally affected by age.

http://firemarshals.org/rfsi/smokealarmfacts.html

Tags: incense 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: