OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:36:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discovering Orthodoxy online catechesis launches  (Read 516 times) Average Rating: 0
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« on: January 01, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »

DISCOVERING ORTHODOXY ONLINE CATECHESIS LAUNCHES

The Discovering Orthodoxy online catechesis has now launched and we invite you to visit the course website at http://www.discoveringorthodoxy.org/

You will see that we have made the first two units available to any visitors to the site, but we will be implementing our user account system over the course of this week and only registered students will be able to access future units. This is to allow us to provide proper support to those engaged in catechesis with us. You will receive your account details before the next unit is published.

We have several other units already in production. The next unit to be published will be Beginning with Church History which will be presented by H.E. Metropolitan Seraphim. Father Peter Farrington is producing a unit looking at the evidence for our faith in God.

We now have over 800 registered students from around the world. This is truly a global and pan-Orthodox and ecumenical project. Our long term target throughout 2013 is to produce 50 interesting units of study, and to have registered 2000 students.

Each of the units will contain a short written introduction which will include some important references from the Fathers of the Church relevant to the topic. The main content will be a video/audio presentation by one of the course contributors. Followed by a short Bible study on the topic. There will be a few simple questions just to allow us to make sure that the learning material is working and you have understood the topic.

We have over 200 topics for which we plan to produce material, and this phase of the project will take several years to complete. We hope to produce a serious and useful library of resources that remain helpful to Orthodox Christians and those interested in the Orthodox Faith.

The development of this extensive range of learning materials does require support. First of all we need your regular prayers for all of those involved in producing these materials, and also for those who will be using them.

But we do also need regular sponsorship to give us the resources to develop this project in a professional manner. If you are willing and able to make a small regular monthly donation, or even a one off donation, then your support will be gratefully received and greatly appreciated.

This link will take you to a page where you can make either a one off donation, or subscribe to provide a regular small monthly donation.

http://www.lsocs.co.uk/orthodox_catechesis.php

May God bless your participation in this course

Father Peter Farrington
Director of Studies
London School of Orthodox Christian Studies

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »

Congratulations, and God's blessings on your efforts!

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Red A.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »

Looks like a very helpful site. There is no way to "like" it on facebook though.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 04:39:04 PM »

very nice website.
i will do some courses as soon as i finish the other stuff i am studying.
may God bless the course.
 Smiley
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:13:23 PM »

I'm curious if this has a certificate of completion of any kind.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 01:26:12 AM »

This is very interesting.  What is the end intent for the project?
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »

This is very interesting.  What is the end intent for the project?
I should elaborate.  My question is, was the goal of this to provide access for those who are unable to have regular contact with a priest for the purpose of being a catechumen or general education.

EDIT:  Ok, I guess if I read the website I would have know.  Sorry. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:25:51 AM by Kerdy » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »

yes, there will be a certificate.
(from what i can tell).
i 100% recommend it, as i know personally some of the contributors to the project and can see they are very caring and very good orthodox scholars.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: