OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 12:10:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burial question  (Read 424 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »

This is a weird question, in a way, and I don't ask it just to be morbid, but I've thought about it and I'd like to see if anyone here knows what would happen.

My brother passed away in 1991. He was interred in a public cemetery in New York (in the town of Hicksville, on Long Island, close to where we lived in Queens). As I recall, they had sections for different faiths. Our family, Italian and Irish Catholics, had some plots in the Roman Catholic area of the grounds. That's where we put him to rest. There were also Orthodox Christian areas, Jewish, and so forth.

I was wondering, if I should become Orthodox, would it be okay for me to be buried next to my brother? Are there any Church objections to that sort of thing? I hope not. I had hoped that when the time came, I'd be put next to him in the family plot. Like I said, I hope this is a long way off, but it bugs me sometimes.

Thank you for your understanding.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »

I am not aware of any Orthodox cemetery or even an Orthodox section of a cemetery anywhere in my area. The few Orthodox burials that I have witnessed have taken place in municipal cemeteries right along with those of any other faith (or lack thereof). That might be a simple matter of expediency, but I don't know for sure.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »

Thank you.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »

I'm not sure either, but I'm under the impression that, as long as the deceased receives Orthodox funeral rites, it matters little where the body lies (or is disposed of, for that matter). In Greece, where the vast majority of cemeteries are Orthodox, there's no obstacle in, say, having heterodox members of a family interred in the family vault.

In the UK there are no Orthodox cemeteries; I want a green burial when my time comes, and I've had nobody tell me I shouldn't.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »

I'm not sure either, but I'm under the impression that, as long as the deceased receives Orthodox funeral rites, it matters little where the body lies (or is disposed of, for that matter). In Greece, where the vast majority of cemeteries are Orthodox, there's no obstacle in, say, having heterodox members of a family interred in the family vault.

In the UK there are no Orthodox cemeteries; I want a green burial when my time comes, and I've had nobody tell me I shouldn't.
I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded part. Cremation is normally forbidden. My priest told of a case where it was known that the body would be cremated and he was therefore unable to celebrate the funeral service, but had to limit himself to the Trisagion prayers.

Quite frankly, I think that for a lot of reasons a green burial is the way to go. Fortunately, they are becoming more acceptable, and I hope will be even more so when my time comes.

One should also be buried with feet toward the east in anticipation of the return of Christ. My non-Orthodox daughter questioned me about that one saying that I wouldn't know or care at that point. However, I responded saying, "But you will remember my faith and expectation." She got the message.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »

Fortunately, I don't have this problem. I live 5 minutes by foot to the Orthodox cemetery.
A few months ago I've realized that's probably my "final resting place" (under the condition I don't move to Serbia). Maybe this fact will help me in the struggle with my sins, as sometimes I must go to my parish through this cemetery (it's shorter way), I also see it while I'm walking in close to it numerous parks.

But, regarding your potential problem, I think it would be OK. The important things is that it is a cemetery and the burial together with grave's blessing would be Orthodox. As for American cemeteries, I've visited only national cemetery in Washington and on most graves there were religious symbols, so in this case it would be "Orthodox" cross.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »

Thanks, everyone.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded part. Cremation is normally forbidden. My priest told of a case where it was known that the body would be cremated and he was therefore unable to celebrate the funeral service, but had to limit himself to the Trisagion prayers.

I'm aware of the prohibition, although I'm aware (granted, second-hand experience) of at least one case where it was overlooked. I also know of several cases of suicides that received full rites, on the grounds that one could not be sure of the victim's state of mind at the time. Loopholes, for sure, but erring on the side of mercy.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »

I don't think there is a problem with that per se.  However, I would heavily consider not being embalmed like a pagan.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »

I don't think there's any type of restriction.

We also have "sections" at our cemetery....but, it's simply because Orthodox have all pre-purchased their lots together...and it got the reputation of being the Orthodox section.  It's nice on St. Thomas Sunday to see all the Orthodox - Serbs, Ukrainians, Russians, Romanians, etc. all wondering around, priests swinging their censors and sprinkling the graves...everyone greeting each other with "Christ is Risen"....in foreign languages, and the recipient smiling and replying in their own tongue.  It's just nice.

However, my grandfather is buried at another cemetery and everyone there is mixed up.  People bought lots that they could afford at the time, so, all the faiths are mixed together.  However, still the Orthodox wonder around and visit and pray for their departed.  They aren't forgotten just because they aren't "in" the Orthodox section.

I think you'll be fine buried next to your brother...and he'll reap the rewards of getting some holy water sprinkled on him when the priest visits you.
Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »

I've recommended it before, I'll do it again. The text and the website for all things dealing with dying and burial:

http://www.achristianending.com/

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 01:52:09 AM »

The preference is to be buried in an "orthodox burial ground" which is designated & blessed by an orthodox priest or hierarch, for orthodox christians to be buried.  These places are also tended by orthodox christians who take care of all the plots properly & in an orthodox christian manner.  That being said, there arn't that many of them & at the end of the day, the important piece is the burial service itself.  God will take care of the rest. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags: family  funerals 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: