OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 11:27:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: blessing of the waters & house blessing  (Read 269 times) Average Rating: 0
Феофан
High Elder

Faith: christian

« on: January 01, 2013, 11:32:12 PM »

Does your church have a "blessing of the waters" during Holy Theophany Liturgy where you get to take Holy Water home in a bottle?  Does your priest make a visit to your homes to bless them?  Both are coming up in my church and I think it's great!  Is this just a Russian thing ?

formerly known as theophan_c
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:56:34 PM »

Does your church have a "blessing of the waters" during Holy Theophany Liturgy where you get to take Holy Water home in a bottle?  Does your priest make a visit to your homes to bless them?  Both are coming up in my church and I think it's great!  Is this just a Russian Orthodox thing ?

Yes to all questions.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:06:37 AM »

We do these thngs too.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 01:23:14 AM »

Yes, the Greek Orthodox do.
Феофан
High Elder

Faith: christian

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:47:49 AM »

Yes, the Greek Orthodox do.
... sometimes I wonder if there's a list of what's common between major Orthodox churches and what's different.  I realize this could probably take several volumes to be exhaustive but just a one or two page summary would be interesting.  Is there such a thing somewhere?

formerly known as theophan_c
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:51:41 AM »

This is actually an ancient practice that goes back to the Early Church. All churches do this, Oriental and Eastern.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:42:18 AM »

Even Roman Catholics have all these things (well, except blessing of the waters on Epiphany, the don't do it even for the feast of Christ's baptism which is on the first Sunday after the Epiphany which according to them is the adoration of Magis; they use water which is being blessed several times during the year).

I know that there are only some differences in the text of the service of waters' blessing between Greeks and Slavs (or maybe only Russians, I don't know exactly)

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:47:08 AM »

My experience is that the priest will come bless the house if you invite him (Athens is a very big place, where visiting everyone would take forever, and over here we're few and far between, which would take even longer) but the rest stands. I'm looking forward to this year having the blessing on the day itself; if Epiphany doesn't fall on a Sunday, the service is held on the Sunday after.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: