OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 08:30:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short video comparing Orthodox and (Roman) Catholic liturgy  (Read 5293 times) Average Rating: 0
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 10:25:04 PM »

Good thread. I can't remember the last time I witnessed so many people on this forum defending the (W)estern Church.

FWIW I do love the Western Church when it's at its best - it just hasn't been at its best lately (like in the past 40-50 years).  Grin

But ... I'm rereading my all-time favorite novel, "In This House of Brede" by Rumer Godden - and if any of you have ever read it, you know exactly what I mean when I say, THAT'S the Western Church I remember and love - and keep hoping to find again ...  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:25:17 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 11:08:02 PM »

I also understand there's a rule allowing the readings (lesson/epistle and gospel) at the altar to be in the vernacular, but I understand trads in Europe do that but not in America.

Really have to wonder why not.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 11:42:58 PM »

I don't understand why they, through the Novus Ordo, allow Masses to be celebrated in the vernacular, but then they don't allow the Tridentine Mass to be celebrated in the vernacular.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »

I also understand there's a rule allowing the readings (lesson/epistle and gospel) at the altar to be in the vernacular, but I understand trads in Europe do that but not in America.

LARPing Cheesy

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 06:42:42 AM »

Because Latin is awesome.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:42:49 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »

I am sure some people will not like what I am about to say, but the whole division of the liturgical services of the Roman Church into the "Ordinary Form" and the "Extraordinary Form" reminds me of the 1970s Episcopal Church in the USA with its "Rite 1" and "Rite 2."

And just as "Rite 2" (i.e., the contemporary rite) in the Episcopal Church involved updating and banalizing the liturgy, so too the "Ordinary Form" of the Roman Rite involves the same type of liturgical impoverishment.  I have been to "Ordinary Form" Masses in Northern and Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania, and have found most to be just as bad as the LA Religious Congress liturgies.

Good analogy. You'd think that the difference between Catholic and Episcopal doctrine would have made the Catholics have a conservative high-church option like Rite I after Vatican II and the Episcopalians (most of whom identify as Protestant) not but that's not what happened. As Thomas Day describes in his books, English-speaking Catholics are less attached to elaborate ceremonies than other Catholics, for historical reasons nothing to do with the theology; partly because of that, the liberals in the Catholic Church were ruthless suppressing the old ways once they came into power. And why in those countries there wasn't a big traditionalist pushback. Definitely a theological civil war. The Episcopalians despite their liberalism don't have that aversion to high ceremonial. (A reason liberal Catholics don't all just convert to that.)

Interesting how I understand Rite I came about. They didn't just keep the old service or slightly edit it like it seems. They started with the rewrite, creating Rite II, then retrofitted it to make the more old-fashioned-sounding Rite I. In many places it was a polite, workable compromise for many years: the relatively conservative got the early Sunday service, the more liberal the later one.

By the way, I think the little Polish National Catholic Church in America, an 1890s immigrant split from Catholicism (parallelling the Toth departures to Orthodoxy), did keep a traditional service, their Tridentine Mass in Polish, as an option alongside their Contemporary Mass in English, which most of them now use, which, like Rite II, largely copies the Novus Ordo.

It's ironic the Episcopalians banalized their service over 30 years ago partly to imitate the Catholics for ecumenical reasons, while at the same time moving farther from Catholicism by ordaining women for example. Then again the Catholic changes were a protestantization. As far as I know they're not changing Rite II to go along with Pope Benedict's conservative reform of the Novus Ordo in English. I don't know if the PNCC is changing its service.

Makes the Old Believer schism and the Orthodox calendar war look like small potatoes!

I think the only prayers in English that Catholics are sentimentally attached to are the ones they've used for centuries in the Rosary, the Our Father and Hail Mary, which are 'thou' everywhere, even in the Our Father at Mass. The Glory Be is pretty inflexible in practice too, though they say 'Holy Spirit', not 'Holy Ghost'. Makes sense. Beyond that, they have no long tradition of worshipping in English. Probably why Pope Benedict's fixes at the end of 2011, while thrilling to the theologically sound, weren't a big deal to most people in the pews.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:22:37 AM by The young fogey » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »

By the way, I think the little Polish National Catholic Church in America, an 1890s immigrant split from Catholicism (parallelling the Toth departures to Orthodoxy), did keep a traditional service, their Tridentine Mass in Polish, as an option alongside their Contemporary Mass in English, which most of them now use, which, like Rite II, largely copies the Novus Ordo.

A point of interest: a couple years ago the PNCC changed "and with your spirit" to "and also with you".

But, generally, I agree with you.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »

It boils down to this analogy: The current crisis is the West's version of Iconoclasm. And like the Eastern Church recovered in the 9th century, so will the West. In fact, it's already happening, though Rome was not (re)built in a day!

Even in L.A. it's slowly happening with the new Opus Dei Archbishop Gomez. The Mahony era is over.

choy
Archon

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »

I don't understand why they, through the Novus Ordo, allow Masses to be celebrated in the vernacular, but then they don't allow the Tridentine Mass to be celebrated in the vernacular.

It is because the Tridentine Mass is the Mass celebrated by Jesus himself during the Last Supper in Latin, transcribed by St. John, infallibly declared by St. Peter to be the one true Mass and commanded the other Apostles who were under him to use this Mass throughout time unchanged.

Grin Grin Grin
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »

Because the TM was supposed to be a standardisation to prevent liturgical abuses that were present before the Reformation.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »

It boils down to this analogy: The current crisis is the West's version of Iconoclasm. And like the Eastern Church recovered in the 9th century, so will the West. In fact, it's already happening, though Rome was not (re)built in a day!

I disagree. Iconoclasm had serious christological implications. It lead to denying of the Incarnation, Docetism. I don't see such theological implications is the current situation of the Roman Catholic Church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2013, 01:16:07 PM »

I agree with lubeltri that it's like iconoclasm.

Regarding the rule on Latin, I think it was also an answer to some Protestants who claimed that if the people don't understand the service, it doesn't give them grace.

Thinking more about the Rites I and II comparison, the traditional Mass is like the 1928 Book of Common Prayer and its unofficial catholicized versions such as the American Missal (the 1928 Communion service fitted into the structure of the Tridentine Mass), the Episcopal Church's 'pre-Vatican II' services, actually banned in at least some dioceses after the change in 1979, rather like the traditional Mass in much of the Catholic Church until recently. (I think they need the bishop's permission to use that, just like the Tridentine Mass in most of the Catholic Church from 1984 until 2007.) Rite I is like the 'reform of the reform' conservative Catholics who high-churchify the Novus Ordo so it resembles the traditional Mass, something maybe you saw a little more of before Pope Benedict lifted all the restrictions on the Tridentine Mass more than three years ago. But maybe with different intentions? Reform-of-the-reform Catholics are conservative. I think the writers of Rite I were liberals trying to get conservatives on board with their program by disguising the new service as almost like the old. Some trads suspect the reform of the reform of being a con like that. By the way, the Church of England has done the same thing ever since its changes, offering a 'thou' version of its new services.

The PNCC well could have used 'and with your spirit' in its Contemporary Mass until recently but I find that hard to believe. It used to have a better website, which had that Mass text. I remember a close copy of the Novus Ordo as it was at the time. The PNCC at its best has an aspect of down-home traditionalism, from Polish culture.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:41:58 PM by The young fogey » Logged

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »

Even in L.A. it's slowly happening with the new Opus Dei Archbishop Gomez. The Mahony era is over.

I hope you're right, but I find it sad that Archbishop Gomez continues to participate (as the main celebrant) in these weird Religious Education Congress liturgies.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »

Pope Benedict lifted all the restrictions on the Tridentine Mass more than three years ago.

Five years ago. Tempus fugit.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »

Pope Benedict lifted all the restrictions on the Tridentine Mass more than three years ago.

Indeed it does.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:56:41 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »

The problem with the Tridentine Mass today is that it has caused a division in the Roman Catholic Church.  People exclusively attend one Litrugy over another in the same Ritual Church.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »

I disagree. Iconoclasm had serious christological implications. It lead to denying of the Incarnation, Docetism. I don't see such theological implications is the current situation of the Roman Catholic Church.

I certainly do. The liturgical crisis has had profound theological effects. Read this for more:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1586171275
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2013, 02:54:50 PM »

The problem with the Tridentine Mass today is that it has caused a division in the Roman Catholic Church.  People exclusively attend one Litrugy over another in the same Ritual Church.

I and all of my friends do both. You see that with the younger generation.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:56:03 PM by lubeltri » Logged
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »

The problem with the Tridentine Mass today is that it has caused a division in the Roman Catholic Church.  People exclusively attend one Liturgy over another in the same Ritual Church.

But the traditional church isn't monolithic. Different countries have different customs, and of course there are different rites in one communion. For example the West has the Ambrosian (Milanese) Rite or Use depending on how you count it (is something that shares the Roman Canon with the Roman Rite really a separate rite?) and of course there are the Eastern rites starting with partial conversions or (mostly failed) attempts to bring back the Orthodox and other Eastern churches, like the small Western Rite experiments in Orthodoxy that some Orthodox don't like for similar reasons.

I thought of some of this when writing about Rites I and II and their equivalents. As long as the new service isn't heretical and the old service isn't banned, and even though writing a liturgy from scratch is wrong (but not heretical), sure, try it out. Have 'the kids' Mass' in the side chapel or something as the late Mass. By the way 'the kids' don't want the guitars, etc. That's baby-boomers nostalgic for their late '60s-'70s youth. liberals but the last generation to go to church out of social obligation. The kids either aren't religious (a lot of them*) or want something more traditional. An 80-some-year-old Pope has 20-30-year-old fans.

Nothing wrong with going to the Tridentine Mass mostly or exclusively. Because although the Novus Ordo including the new English translation of it isn't heretical, the Tridentine's better. Sort of like how a Russian churchgoer might feel about an OCA parish that uses the new calendar and only uses English.

*Catholicism's white ethnic base in America is going away, aging and dying like the liberal Protestants, but Mexican immigration keeps Catholic numbers artificially nearly steady.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »

time certainly flew since i last saw you and lubeltri!
it's great to see you both posting.

i think the difficult thing with the catholic church is that they did good stuff (letting people understand what they say about God) and bad stuff (thinking it's cool to be 'modern' and dump some traditions) at the same time.
so not singing in latin got linked in people's minds with giving up the Christian message and just being 'nice' people, helping the neighbours, not bothering to get around to marrying your boyfriend and generally decreasing the fasting, praying and getting to know God well.

changing the custom to use a language people actually understand is not 'useful modernising', it is vital 'returning to our ancient traditions'. Jesus spoke to His disciples in their language, the disciples preached around the world in the modern international language of the day and the churches translated the liturgy into the local languages as soon as they could from the internationally used greek.
i have met several catholic Christians who are sticking to the good traditions and show their light to those around them, and i pray to see more of this and less of making the Christian life 'easy' so people can follow it with no effort (and therefore no reward).
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »

*Catholicism's white ethnic base in America is going away, aging and dying like the liberal Protestants, but Mexican immigration keeps Catholic numbers artificially nearly steady.

FTFY

*Orthodoxy's ethnic base in America is going away, leaving, aging and dying with their children never returning, but new converts and immigrants keep Orthodox numbers artificially nearly steady.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:03:03 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »

The problem with the Tridentine Mass today is that it has caused a division in the Roman Catholic Church.  People exclusively attend one Litrugy over another in the same Ritual Church.

Two things: first (as I've said before on this forum) there is a difference between a church and a rite, and in particular between the Latin Church and the Roman Rite.

Secondly, but relatedly, it seems to me that a deeper problem is near-total suppression in the Latin Church of all rites except the Roman Rite.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:21:26 PM by Peter J » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »

Secondly, but relatedly, it seems to me that a deeper problem is near-total suppression in the Latin Church of all rites except the Roman Rite.

There should be an Ambrosian-rite movement. Get it to a parish near you! How awesome would that be?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:25:56 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »

There should be an Ambrosian-rite movement. Get is to a parish near you! How awesome would that be?

Would they ever even allow that? It seems like it is restricted to certain dioceses.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »

There should be an Ambrosian-rite movement. Get is to a parish near you! How awesome would that be?

Would they ever even allow that? It seems like it is restricted to certain dioceses.

More to the point, the non-Roman western rites have been restricted to a small number of dioceses for so long that very few people know about them or want them to be un-restricted.

Antonis
Prodigal
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

"My Lord and my God!"

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2013, 04:47:16 PM »

I and all of my friends do both. You see that with the younger generation.
The Catholic youth I know attend both "mass" and Protestant churches.

I once asked a girl what faith she was and she responded "Catholic Christian." I asked, "you know that Catholics are Christians, right?" And she said "Yea, but, I'm Christian too, I go to Christian Churches too!" And I weekly see conversations of her and her friends deciding whether they want to go to the "Cowboy church" or "mass." Ack! Sometimes I am tempted to ask them if they can name the saints on their bracelets or say a "hail mary" on the rosary around their necks.

But I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the same with some Orthodox youth.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:47:41 PM by Antonis » Logged

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »

Essentially that happened over hundreds of years as Rome got more and more control, basically ending at Trent when every rite that couldn't be proved to have been in continuous use for something like 200 years was abolished. That didn't leave much else standing besides the Roman Rite.

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »

Nothing wrong with going to the Tridentine Mass mostly or exclusively. Because although the Novus Ordo including the new English translation of it isn't heretical, the Tridentine's better. Sort of like how a Russian churchgoer might feel about an OCA parish that uses the new calendar and only uses English.
So, would that make those sedevacantist groups that say the Mass of Paul VI is in fact heretical, the Popes who accept it are heretics and not Popes at all, and the See of Rome has been vacant since 1960 like the Old Believers?  Wink

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2013, 06:13:32 PM »

the See of Rome has been vacant since 1960

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2013, 06:16:35 PM »

The "official position" is one rite in two forms, ordinary (Mass almost everywhere) and extraordinary ("Tridentine Mass" last revised in 1962).

Regardless, there is definitely divison, open dissent (Society of St. Paul X) and even schism over it and the rest of the results of Vatican II.

poor form.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:17:46 PM by Justin Kolodziej » Logged

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »

From the National Catholic Register (28 December 2012):

Tidings of Discomfort and Liturgical Abuse
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:38:24 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2013, 06:40:56 PM »

Awesome, I'm 42 years worse of a heretic pig than I thought I was.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2013, 06:53:35 PM »

That prancing Deacon is so funny !
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2013, 07:58:50 PM »

After the Council of Florence, people on both sides back-dated the schism to 1014 or 1054 (or 1012 apparently). The Orthodox are just more stubborn about it. (How many things can you say that about?)

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »

That prancing Deacon is so funny !

Yes, that and the Call to Action "puppet mass" are two classic videos to watch while somewhat inebriated. Oh, and the Schönborn Balloon Mass and the Austrian Dixie Confederate BBQ Mass. My friends and I get together once in a while to drink and laugh our butts off at one of these ridiculous videos.

One of our favorites at the other end of the spectrum is this clip of antipope Gregory XVII. We can't get enough of this one:

http://youtu.be/pGUQqNgffUM
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »

One of our favorites at the other end of the spectrum is this clip of antipope Gregory XVII. We can't get enough of this one:

Wow. I can't believe how many minutes that went on for.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2013, 02:05:32 AM »

About the Palmarians (bolded section my emphasis):

Since 1983 the Palmarian Church has drastically reformed its rites and its liturgy, which previously had been styled in the Tridentine form. The Palmarian liturgy was reduced to almost solely the Eucharistic words of consecration. The See of El Palmar de Troya has also declared the Real Presence of the Virgin Mary in the sacred host and the bodily assumption into heaven of St. Joseph to be dogmas of the Catholic faith. By 2000, they had their own version of the Bible, revised by Domínguez on claimed prophetic authority. For these and other reasons, other traditionalist Catholics consider the Palmarian Church to be heretics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmarian_Catholic_Church

Oyyyyy ...... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2013, 02:28:56 AM »

After the Council of Florence, people on both sides back-dated the schism to 1014 or 1054 (or 1012 apparently). The Orthodox are just more stubborn about it. (How many things can you say that about?)

I'd say that 1054-1204 is a gray area. You have Benedicine Monks on Mt Athos, intercommunion occurring and other such things going on. It got worse over those 150 years, culminating in the 4th Crusade which ensured the split was final and lasting. After that point there wasn't gray area nor any doubt.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2013, 05:03:58 AM »

I'd say that 1054-1204 is a gray area. You have Benedicine Monks on Mt Athos,

under Constantinople...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2013, 07:12:54 AM »

That's uhm... interesting to say the least!

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2013, 07:54:04 AM »

I'd say that 1054-1204 is a gray area. You have Benedicine Monks on Mt Athos, intercommunion occurring and other such things going on. It got worse over those 150 years, culminating in the 4th Crusade which ensured the split was final and lasting. After that point there wasn't gray area nor any doubt.

I just don't see how 1204 can be considered the end of the "gray area". It makes a lot more sense to point to either the Second Council of Lyons or the Council of Florence. (Personally, I'm inclined toward the latter.)

Some might argue that the outcome of Lyons II was inevitable, more of less, because of 1204; and perhaps they'd be right, but Lyons II didn't happen until it happened, if you know what I mean.

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2013, 12:13:27 PM »

So, would that make those sedevacantist groups that say the Mass of Paul VI is in fact heretical, the Popes who accept it are heretics and not Popes at all, and the See of Rome has been vacant since 1960 like the Old Believers?  Wink

Yes!

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:09 PM »

From the National Catholic Register (28 December 2012):

Tidings of Discomfort and Liturgical Abuse

Not to put too fine a point on his "because I'm not Protestant," but most of these bad practices started out in American RC churches.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:23:56 PM by Keble » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »

A lot. I didn't fall off the turnip truck just yesterday. I've been going to their church almost three years.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2013, 08:09:37 PM »

LARPing Cheesy

Roll Eyes

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: