OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 08:50:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: people with experience with indian religions?  (Read 252 times) Average Rating: 0
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« on: December 31, 2012, 10:35:56 PM »

Does anyone here have experience with Hinduism, Vaisnavaism or any of that?

This semester at school I got involved with Vaisnavas a bit, but ultimately got severely weirded out by them. Something that bothered me the most was that they encourage other people to do japa while just presenting it as a  means to relax, concentrate, meditate or whatever have you. They don't tell people what it is. Of course, I knew and did it anyway since I wasn't sure I really believed in Christianity any more. Now I wish I had pointed out to them that they are being deceptive and misleading people by not being completely frank about what it is they are doing.

After the end of the semester I suddenly realized it seemed demonic. The Bhagavad Gita, alone, sounds so good, spiritual and everything. But when you find out all the other things they believe (and leave out) it starts to seem evil. Making idols out of cow dung, believing God has intimate relations with endless wives, on an endless number of planets that he manifests on... Of course, none of it is in the introductory literature. I guess they hope they will have people in it deep enough that by the time they get to those books they will overlook it or something.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:37:27 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »

believing God has intimate relations with endless wives
This is symbolic of the deep intimacy God has with each of us; not to be taken literally. Of course, if you hang out with ISKCON Vaisnavas, they may indeed take such symbols literally.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:43:54 PM »

This is symbolic of the deep intimacy God has with each of us; not to be taken literally. Of course, if you hang out with ISKCON Vaisnavas, they may indeed take such symbols literally.

Well, the descriptions of the different planets definitely seems very literal. Last thing I read about it was something about Radha being Krishna's main consort and doing something horrible to another one because she got too close to him. Huh That was probably one of the main tipping points where they started looking like demons.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:46:44 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »

Well, the descriptions of the different planets definitely seems very literal. Last thing I read about it was something about Radha being Krishna's main consort and doing something horrible to another one because she got too close to him. Huh That was probably one of the main tipping points where they started looking like demons.
Yes, they seem very literal, if you read them literally.  Smiley Similar symbolism can be seen in the Radha-Krishna relationships.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:17:42 PM »

I don't know. But being honest, out of all the heathen non-Orthodox religions, I would say that Buddhism is probably the very best and closest to Godliness.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »

Similar to the way that the Church Fathers re-interpreted -- in the Light of Christ -- the Old Testament texts concerning Israelites killing Canaanites, many Hindus also re-interpret texts that speak about violence and other morally reprehensible activities, in the Light of the higher teachings of Krishna, Rama, Ramakrishna, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:27:27 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: