OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:11:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the EOC accept the RCC's Transubstantiation as a valid Sacrament?  (Read 2039 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »

I'm not "officially" a Protestant.

I'll leave a protestant to answer your question there. Or perhaps I might answer it on a later date.

So if you're not a Protestant what are you? You clearly aren't a Roman Catholic or an Eastern Orthodox Christian.

I'm officially a "Catholic", but I disagree with Catholic doctrines (which are rejected by the Eastern Orthodox and Protestants).

Which doctrines do you reject, and why?  What is your authority for your rejection of them?

You know which Catholic doctrines are rejected by the EO and Protestants. Then why ask me?

You said, "I'm officially a "Catholic", but I disagree with Catholic doctrines (which are rejected by the Eastern Orthodox and Protestants)."

I want to know, as a "born-again" Christian (I've never really figured out what that means, exactly, but that's not the question), which doctrines YOU reject and why?  And if you reject them, what is it you're looking for on this board?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
kx9

Faith: Christian

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »

I'll leave a protestant to answer your question there. Or perhaps I might answer it on a later date.

So if you're not a Protestant what are you? You clearly aren't a Roman Catholic or an Eastern Orthodox Christian.

I'm officially a "Catholic", but I disagree with Catholic doctrines (which are rejected by the Eastern Orthodox and Protestants).

Which doctrines do you reject, and why?  What is your authority for your rejection of them?

You know which Catholic doctrines are rejected by the EO and Protestants. Then why ask me?

So you only reject the doctrines of the Catholics that the EO reject? Doesn't that pretty much make you Eastern Orthodox?

That could be, but one more thing is that I hold to the Five Solas.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »

So you only reject the doctrines of the Catholics that the EO reject? Doesn't that pretty much make you Eastern Orthodox?

Then you're neither Catholic nor Orthodox.  So...what *are* you looking for on this board?  Are you making a sincere inquiry into Orthodoxy?  Looking to find a way to return to the Catholic Church?  Or....?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »

Born again + 5 solas = Protestant

Someone must have missed sending you the memo Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
kx9

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »

Which doctrines do you reject, and why?  What is your authority for your rejection of them?

You said, "I'm officially a "Catholic", but I disagree with Catholic doctrines (which are rejected by the Eastern Orthodox and Protestants)."

I want to know, as a "born-again" Christian (I've never really figured out what that means, exactly, but that's not the question), which doctrines YOU reject and why?  And if you reject them, what is it you're looking for on this board?

It is very surprising that you don't know what born-again means? Please re-read the dialogue between Jesus and Nicodemus?

I don't have time to type all these, but two examples which I reject are Purgatory and the Immaculate Conception of Mary.

What I'm looking for on this board : Nothing... I came here with a question in the OP. That's all.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:53:45 PM by kx9 » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »

Which doctrines do you reject, and why?  What is your authority for your rejection of them?

I want to know, as a "born-again" Christian (I've never really figured out what that means, exactly, but that's not the question), which doctrines YOU reject and why?  And if you reject them, what is it you're looking for on this board?

It is very surprising that you don't know what born-again means? Please re-read the dialogue between Jesus and Nicodemus?

I don't have time to type all these, but two examples which I reject are be Purgatory and the Immaculate Conception of Mary.

What I'm looking for on this board : Nothing... I came here with a question in the OP. That's all.

Was your question answered to your satisfaction?

(Every "born-again" Christian I've ever come across means something slightly different than every other "born-again" Christian--but, like I said, that's not what's at question here.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:52:00 PM by J Michael » Logged

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »

I want to know, as a "born-again" Christian (I've never really figured out what that means, exactly, but that's not the question), which doctrines YOU reject and why?  And if you reject them, what is it you're looking for on this board?

I don't have time to type all these, but two examples which I reject are be Purgatory and the Immaculate Conception of Mary.

You may find that popular Protestant interpretation of scripture isn't the actual/original interpretation...

I'm going to need this.
kx9

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »

Then you're neither Catholic nor Orthodox.  So...what *are* you looking for on this board?  Are you making a sincere inquiry into Orthodoxy?  Looking to find a way to return to the Catholic Church?  Or....?

I'm still in the Catholic Church. No intention of going to any other Church, because salvation comes by faith in Christ, not by which denomination we belong to.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »

As it is written:

"But even if we, or an angel from heaven, or a protestant website in an obscure corner of the internet preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be anathema."

Ah, well. Ask PeterTheAleut. He has questioned me about the Gospel that I have received on another thread, I gave him the answer and and he has verified that it is the right Gospel that I received. i.e, he did not find any problem with it.
I said no such thing, so please stop putting words into my mouth.
kx9

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »

You may find that popular Protestant interpretation of scripture isn't the actual/original interpretation...

That's why I prefer to go with the Eastern Orthodox's interpretation instead.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »

Then you're neither Catholic nor Orthodox.  So...what *are* you looking for on this board?  Are you making a sincere inquiry into Orthodoxy?  Looking to find a way to return to the Catholic Church?  Or....?

I'm still in the Catholic Church. No intention of going to any other Church, because salvation comes by faith in Christ, not by which denomination we belong to.

If you don't believe what the Church teaches, you are not really "in" the Church.

Was your question in the OP answered to your satisfaction?  (That shouldn't be difficult to answer.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:56:48 PM by J Michael » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »

If you would have done so you'd have ditched the five solae long ago.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
kx9

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »

As it is written:

"But even if we, or an angel from heaven, or a protestant website in an obscure corner of the internet preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be anathema."

Ah, well. Ask PeterTheAleut. He has questioned me about the Gospel that I have received on another thread, I gave him the answer and and he has verified that it is the right Gospel that I received. i.e, he did not find any problem with it.

Sorry, but you questioned me about the Gospel and other things in the other thread. You had no issues with my answers.

I didn't put words into your mouth after all, or please be specific as to what words I put into your mouth?
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »

Yup.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »

So you hold to some decidedly Protestant beliefs but consider yourself Catholic and go to a Catholic parish but like some of the Orthodox understandings of things.  angel

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
kx9

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »

I don't know why I did not ditch the solas. But it happened that I did not ditch them afterall.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »

As it is written:

Sorry, but you questioned me about the Gospel and other things in the other thread. You had no issues with my answers.

I didn't put words into your mouth after all, or please be specific as to what words I put into your mouth?
I've done nothing on that other thread but question your understanding of the Gospel, so yes, I've had issues with your answers.

As to you putting words into my mouth, I will tell you what my words mean if you don't understand them correctly. It's not for you to tell me what my words mean then insist that you're right when I correct you. Simply put, I never verified that the Gospel you received is the right one. It's your overwhelming desire for confirmation of your point of view that has led you to see such verification in my responses.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »

I don't know why I did not ditch the solas. But it happened that I did not ditch them afterall.

Do you believe in a Holy/Sacred Tradition?

I'm going to need this.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »

Doctrinally Orthodoxy neither affirms nor denies grace in non-Orthodox sacraments. In practice many of them do recognize the Catholics' Eucharist (but are not allowed to receive it) as doctrinally Catholics do the Orthodox one (but are not normally allowed to receive it, but may ask the Orthodox if there's no Catholic priest; the Orthodox are supposed to say no).

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2012, 06:24:56 PM »

So you hold to some decidedly Protestant beliefs but consider yourself Catholic and go to a Catholic parish but like some of the Orthodox understandings of things.  angel

Which makes him... (drumroll)... an Episcopalian?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »

Which makes him... (drumroll)... an Episcopalian?  Huh

If Episcopalian = confused, then yes.  Wink

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »

Does the EOC accept the RCC's Transubstantiation as a valid Sacrament?

If not, why?

No, because transsubstantiation isn't a sacrament.

Okay, I was referring to the consecrated Eucharist in the RCC. Is it a valid Sacrament or not in the eyes of the EOC?

There are not sacraments outside the Orthodox Church. Also, we don't do "valid."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2012, 08:55:48 PM »

Some would say yes, some would say no...

Why the different viewpoints? I thought all the Orthodox Churches (Greek, Russian, Ukrainian...etc) agree with each other on all issues.

On dogma, praxis, and spirituality, yes. This is neither of those things.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »

Why the different viewpoints? I thought all the Orthodox Churches (Greek, Russian, Ukrainian...etc) agree with each other on all issues.

Come on, now, Shanghaiski....you're forgetting the Sacraments of Souvlaki and Borscht  Grin Grin.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »

Shows how little you truly understand the Orthodox Church.

Well, show me a website to hop around and learn some more.

Rather, go to your local Orthodox parish church for a couple years, meet the priest, befriend members of the congregation. Learn from Orthodoxy in its actual context. A website will not help you understand the Orthodox worldview any better than reading a book about a forest will make you listen to the songs of the birds, the sound of the wind on the leaves, give you the smell of the damp leaves or the taste of the berries.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »

Come on, now, Shanghaiski....you're forgetting the Sacraments of Souvlaki and Borscht  Grin Grin.

Those do not exist outside the Orthodox Church either. Have you ever eaten the Turkish or Croatian equivalents? Yuck!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2012, 09:02:56 PM »

Rather, go to your local Orthodox parish church for a couple years, meet the priest, befriend members of the congregation. Learn from Orthodoxy in its actual context. A website will not help you understand the Orthodox worldview any better than reading a book about a forest will make you listen to the songs of the birds, the sound of the wind on the leaves, give you the smell of the damp leaves or the taste of the berries.

Nicely put.

I was beginning to think that kx9 was trolling more than making sincere inquiries.  But that's just my damnable suspicious nature  Cool.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »

Those do not exist outside the Orthodox Church either. Have you ever eaten the Turkish or Croatian equivalents? Yuck!

Oh, but they do...........they thrive with great abundance and exquisite deliciousness in the Eastern Catholic Church!  Cool

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »

Another website is not going to help you if you won't first open your mind to another point of view.

I was a spiritually dead Catholic for many years until a Protestant website opened the Gospel of Jesus to my eyes.

By all means, give me the website and I'll see if the Lord opens my mind to another point of view.

Who told you you were spiritually dead? And why were you that way if you were that way?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »

Maybe you could be more specific? There are Roman Catholic doctrinces accepted by the Orthodox (because they're Orthodox doctrines, too), and there are Roman Catholic doctrines accepted by Protestants but denied by Orthodox, because they're post-schism innovations or proceed from pre-schism exaggerations of the teachings of St. Augustine (for one). There are also Roman Catholic teachings which both Orthodox and Protestants reject, but sometimes in different significant ways.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2012, 09:15:08 PM »

Oh, but they do...........they thrive with great abundance and exquisite deliciousness in the Eastern Catholic Church!  Cool

The MSG of papal submission. Tastes good for awhile, then leads to headaches and eventually a long painful death.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »

The MSG of papal submission. Tastes good for awhile, then leads to headaches and eventually a long painful death.

A death awaits us all.  I know MSG when I eat it--so I don't.  Our souvlaki and borscht can compete with *anything* you can put on the table.  What we lack in numbers, we make up for in quality.  Wink

Wishing you a happy, prosperous, and very blessed 2013!

In Christ,
JM
 Wink

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »

I don't know if there is an authoritive teaching of the Church on it, but in my personal opinion, I do not think it is valid. The Eucharist is the ultimate symbol of unity--it is the glue that bonds us together as Orthodox Christians. It is how we are joined to Christ. There is only one Christ and that Christ is not divided, and there is only one proper faith about that Christ. I do not think that people who are not a part of the Church can legitimately prepare and receive the Eucharist and be united to Christ--that's a privilege and great responsibility that God has only bestowed upon us Orthodox Christians who adhere to the proper faith and have the authority via apostolic succession.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »

The ironic thing about sola scriptura is that it is not biblical.

Two things...A. we are not a denomination, and B. while it is fine that you continue going to Mass even if you disagree with the Catholic Church (though I cannot quite wrap my mind around why one would do such a thing), you should not be receiving the Eucharist if you reject multiple Catholic teachings.
choy
Archon

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »

A death awaits us all.  I know MSG when I eat it--so I don't.  Our souvlaki and borscht can compete with *anything* you can put on the table.  What we lack in numbers, we make up for in quality.  Wink

Wishing you a happy, prosperous, and very blessed 2013!

In Christ,
JM
 Wink

MSG has no long term effects, a study from a couple of years ago said.
choy
Archon

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »

I don't know if there is an authoritive teaching of the Church on it, but in my personal opinion, I do not think it is valid. The Eucharist is the ultimate symbol of unity--it is the glue that bonds us together as Orthodox Christians. It is how we are joined to Christ. There is only one Christ and that Christ is not divided, and there is only one proper faith about that Christ. I do not think that people who are not a part of the Church can legitimately prepare and receive the Eucharist and be united to Christ--that's a privilege and great responsibility that God has only bestowed upon us Orthodox Christians who adhere to the proper faith and have the authority via apostolic succession.

I believe there is no official stand from the Orthodox Church.  Why do we need to worry about its validity when we don't partake of their Eucharist anyway?

As an outgoing Catholic, I personally believe that Christ is indeed in the Eucharist of the Catholic Church.  But that is my personal opinion.  I don't expect the Orthodox to agree with me.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2013, 08:05:50 PM »

Quote from: Shanghaiski

Once again, the love and respect and forgiveness just overflows on this board.  Tongue

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »

Once again, the love and respect and forgiveness just overflows on this board.  Tongue

Biro, I can't keep up if you're RC or EO. Not that it matters, but which is it?!

I'm going to need this.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »

Biro, I can't keep up if you're RC or EO. Not that it matters, but which is it?!

Why do you care?

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »

Why do you care?

Just curious...  Undecided Cry

I'm going to need this.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »

Why do you care?

If it helps, after what I've been through in the last three years, I don't know either.  Lips Sealed

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »

Why do you care?

If it helps, after what I've been through in the last three years, I don't know either.  Lips Sealed

That's valid. I don't know either. Hence, the cynical faith.

I'm going to need this.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2013, 08:40:30 PM »

Why do you care?

That's valid. I don't know either. Hence, the cynical faith.

Thank you.

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »

Why do you care?

If you ever feel like discussing what has been going on with you over the last three years, I would be interested in listening. As someone who is Catholic but kind of goes back and forth mentally (and perhaps spiritually) between the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, I would love to hear someone else's story. If you don't want to discuss it publicly you can shoot me a PM sometime.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »

Thank you. I will think about it.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: