OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:45:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says  (Read 2666 times) Average Rating: 0
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2010, 11:18:48 AM »

Atheists know so much about religion, because they were raised by religious parents. Wink

WASHINGTON, D.C, (ENInews/RNS) — The typical member of a fast-growing U.S. atheist association is a highly educated, married white male who grew up with religious parents.

The Freedom from Religion Foundation, which grew from 5,500 in 2004 to about 16,000 members this year, announced results of a survey of its members on December , Religion News Service reports.

The Wisconsin-based organization received nearly 4,000 responses to its survey, which was mailed to all its members in May. Respondents replied to the non-scientific survey by mail, or online.

Asked about their primary reason for being "de-converted from religion to free-thought," about a third of respondents said "religion doesn't make sense." Seventeen percent said religious hypocrisy or bigotry was the cause; 9 percent said reading skeptical authors; 5 percent cited reading the Bible.

Most respondents said the religious denomination they left behind was Protestant (42 percent), but 30 percent said they were raised Catholic, and 27 percent were raised Jewish.

The overwhelming majority of atheist respondents — 95 percent — are white, but foundation officials hope that statistic will change.

"We've started to do more outreach to the African-American and free-thought communities of color, and clearly, this is a great untapped source for new members who support reason and secularism in this country," said foundation co-president Annie Laurie Gaylor.

We will see a drastic change and a migration back to religion when age and sickness begin to set in. We are after all the church of reconciliation. Cool

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2010, 02:50:02 PM »

I took the test and got 13 out of 15 correct. I missed the one on prayer in the classroom and religious affiliation of pakistan. However, the majority of Americans are unaware that a teacher can in fact lead their class in prayer, but they can not force everyone to participate, also the school itself can not do prayer over the intercom. Seeing as how most people are unaware of this teachers do not do it because it can cost them their jobs even though it is protected by the constitution (and the supreme court)

The other one was pure forgetfulness on my part. I could not remember if the majority was Muslim or Hindu and I erred on the side of caution. But meh, I still did better than most of the population... and thats what really matters  Grin

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »

Just saw the quiz online and got 14/15. I chose Finney instead of Edwards.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »

15/15, guess I should become an internet atheist polemicist

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 11:45:28 PM »

Well who is defining these religions? From my experience, atheists usually know jack squat about Orthodoxy--at least in America. Maybe the atheists in the Old Country like Russia would know more about Orthodoxy, but since this study was done in Washington or something, I am assuming that it is more closely associated with America. Moving on, most American atheists I have met know nothing about Orthodoxy, however, they do generally know a bit about Protestantism--which is probably what they've been exposed to most. As for non-Christian religions, that might be true. While being honest, most first-worlders seem to know next to nothing about non-Christian religions--at least in my experience. That being said though, it does sometimes seem that most atheists in America do in fact know at least a little bit more about non-Christian religions that American Christians (presumably Protestants) do. Most non-Orthodox American Christians I have met seem to know absolutely nothing about religions other than theirs and have no urge to learn at all, and actually discourage learning about them. Just my experience with this all.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »

Well who is defining these religions? From my experience, atheists usually know jack squat about Orthodoxy--at least in America. Maybe the atheists in the Old Country like Russia would know more about Orthodoxy, but since this study was done in Washington or something, I am assuming that it is more closely associated with America. Moving on, most American atheists I have met know nothing about Orthodoxy, however, they do generally know a bit about Protestantism--which is probably what they've been exposed to most. As for non-Christian religions, that might be true. While being honest, most first-worlders seem to know next to nothing about non-Christian religions--at least in my experience. That being said though, it does sometimes seem that most atheists in America do in fact know at least a little bit more about non-Christian religions that American Christians (presumably Protestants) do. Most non-Orthodox American Christians I have met seem to know absolutely nothing about religions other than theirs and have no urge to learn at all, and actually discourage learning about them. Just my experience with this all.

I'm pretty sure it's just limited to the general questions asked in the survey, and to what the quiz-takers affiliated themselves with.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: