OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 12:44:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Free-Will Exist?  (Read 706 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: December 29, 2012, 11:27:32 PM »

Sort of a classic question--the clash between free-will and determinism. I was looking for some genuine insight and opinions here. Do you believe in free-will or do you believe that everything is determined and that no one really has any choice? Both views have their advantages and disadvantages, and compelling arguments and counter-arguments can be made for both views.

Ultimately, it seems that each of the arguments in the end are non-testable and cannot be confirmed, and thus, are just matters of opinion. I think that the question of whether or not freedom exists is sort of irrelevant and merely just a matter of perception, because either way, we are where we are right now--whether we have freedom or not.

I like determinism because it diminishes the feeling of guilt for anything bad I do, on the other hand, I like freedom because it provides the feeling of pleasure when we do something good.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:46:59 PM »

I like determinism because it diminishes the feeling of guilt for anything bad I do, on the other hand, I like freedom because it provides the feeling of pleasure when we do something good.
Regardless of whether or not free-will exists is not an excuse to do bad stuff, in fact, it is probably a sign that you are not one of the elect.

As far as your original question, I believe in free-will and the church also does.  Regardless of whether or not I and the church are correct, we must be attentive to The Laws of The Church and The Scriptures.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:48:49 PM »

I believe free will exists.

If free will did not exist, then God would be ultimately responsible whether you are granted salvation or the 2nd death.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 12:01:04 AM »

Fwiw, if you haven't read it yet, the Thirteenth Conference of St. John Cassian (summary here) might be of some interest to you.
SavedByChrist94

Jurisdiction: Born-Again

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:15:59 AM »

Sort of a classic question--the clash between free-will and determinism. I was looking for some genuine insight and opinions here. Do you believe in free-will or do you believe that everything is determined and that no one really has any choice? Both views have their advantages and disadvantages, and compelling arguments and counter-arguments can be made for both views.

Ultimately, it seems that each of the arguments in the end are non-testable and cannot be confirmed, and thus, are just matters of opinion. I think that the question of whether or not freedom exists is sort of irrelevant and merely just a matter of perception, because either way, we are where we are right now--whether we have freedom or not.

See what you typed? if Free Will didn't exist you wouldn't be able to type that.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 05:48:46 AM »

See what you typed? if Free Will didn't exist you wouldn't be able to type that.

Says who? Why can't be it be claimed that determined events led me into typing that post along with the post I am typing right now?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 06:35:35 AM »

Free will exists.  If not, what is the point?
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 10:51:43 PM »

Says who? Why can't be it be claimed that determined events led me into typing that post along with the post I am typing right now?

so according to you, you didn't decide to type that. decision is free will, when you type you make constant decisions, free will.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 11:42:33 PM »

...decision is free will, when you type you make constant decisions, free will.

It's a lot more confusing than that bro. Once again, who said that I honestly am capable of making a decision? What if all we experience is merly the illusion of a decision--ie, it FEELS like I am making a decision when in reality it is determined by external events that ultimately led me into typing those posts, along with this post right here.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 11:45:38 PM »

What if I was predestined to type this of my own free will?
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 12:44:06 AM »

Must not type this... nOOOOOOOOO

I kid, but seriously this is just another excuse for others to use as a crutch for their lack of fortune/bad choices/nihilist agenda/etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:45:47 AM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »

does it? I am not sure anymore. I mean is it a free will choice that 2 year old babies get baptised as christians, and learn about christianity, or any religion for that matter. If they remain in that religion when they are old. Is it a completely free will choice? or is it a "what if" doubt that was imparted in their subconscious mind as little children? which one is it? If we can't freely choose for us, but depend on our subconscious which is full of other people's thoughts, opinions, decissions and all that. Then where is our free will?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:09:49 PM by tweety234 » Logged

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »

Free will exists.  If not, what is the point?

The end of a pencil.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 07:38:03 PM »

does it? I am not sure anymore. I mean is it a free will choice that 2 year old babies get baptised as christians, and learn about christianity, or any religion for that matter. If they remain in that religion when they are old. Is it a completely free will choice? or is it a "what if" doubt that was imparted in their subconscious mind as little children? which one is it? If we can't freely choose for us, but depend on our subconscious which is full of other people's thoughts, opinions, decissions and all that. Then where is our free will?

You don't have control over your subconscious?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:34:32 PM »

Every time you ask questions like that, John Calvin cries.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 12:29:24 AM »

Then its not to your credit, or not to your fault....

Me either....
Or for typing me either....  <<--- Or that.nn Shocked

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 12:47:08 AM »

No.  Yes.
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 03:02:57 AM »

It's a lot more confusing than that bro. Once again, who said that I honestly am capable of making a decision? What if all we experience is merly the illusion of a decision--ie, it FEELS like I am making a decision when in reality it is determined by external events that ultimately led me into typing those posts, along with this post right here.

Well that is an impossibility, because you exist, you know the choices you make. if it is an illusion then you are being deceived about the eternal world and yourself, that though is an impossibility, as an ultimate deceiver is an impossibility(Deception is to gain, All powerful deceiver is a contradiction)

Therefore you can't deceived and you have free will. also Free Will is you conscious, you recognized what you did and the external world  had nothing to do with it, so again, you have free will
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 03:13:02 AM »

Well that is an impossibility, because you exist, you know the choices you make. if it is an illusion then you are being deceived about the eternal world and yourself, that though is an impossibility, as an ultimate deceiver is an impossibility(Deception is to gain, All powerful deceiver is a contradiction)

Therefore you can't deceived and you have free will. also Free Will is you conscious, you recognized what you did and the external world  had nothing to do with it, so again, you have free will

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 11:30:45 AM »

Run-on Sentences

I'm going to need this.
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »

An all powerful deceiver is a contradiction, because deception is used for gain and someone with everything would need nothing. I actually like that! Thank you, where does that come from, is that your saying?
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »

An all powerful deceiver is a contradiction, because deception is used for gain and someone with everything would need nothing. I actually like that! Thank you, where does that come from, is that your saying?

Nope, learned it from fellow philosophers, I could boast and say it's mine, but honestly anyone could use this, anyone could destroy "atheism" in a second.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »

Does free will exist? I can't decide.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 07:45:04 PM »

Does free will exist? I can't decide.

That was funny.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: