OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 11:41:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Readers Service  (Read 343 times) Average Rating: 0
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« on: December 29, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »

Hello
   Does anyone have information on a Readers Service?  We have occasion when a weekend Liturgy is canceled, so I am starting to look into the idea of having a Readers Service. on occasion.  I know we cannot have the Eucharist or priestly prayers that day, although I am uncertain as to whether a lay person can read the Gospel during a Readers Service?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:11:19 PM by Gamliel » Logged
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »

Would the resources here by of any help? (particularly the instructions at the bottom)
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »

Our priest will be away on January 13. We plan Reader's Services for that day as we have done on similar occasions. Yes, a layman can read the Gospel when no clergy are present to do so (at least in the Typika service as we do it), but it, like the Epistle, is read in a plain speaking voice and without the usual responses.

We've even had a couple of times when we've done a reader's service when the priest is in the building but unable to participate. This has happened at Orthros when the priest has arrived late and has all the preparations to do for the Divine Liturgy that will follow. No Gospel reading in that case.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »

I attended a readers service some weeks ago. It was a modified form of the Typika. 

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: