OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 01:31:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Church?  (Read 510 times) Average Rating: 0
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« on: December 29, 2012, 10:22:10 AM »

There's a Greek Orthodox Church here in town that meets today, and usually I will go. But the roads are very bad where I live, icy and snow covered, and I can't go today. It's through no fault of my own, but it did get me thinking. When I was a Catholic, it was considered a mortal sin to miss Mass, unless there was a reason (such as bad roads, sickness, etc). I was just wondering if there was a similar teaching in Orthodoxy? Is missing the Liturgy considered a serious sin?

Thank you kindly Smiley

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »

I wonder too.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »

I am not aware of a rule, but if we miss too much, someone may call or e-mail to see how we are doing.  Seems like missing 2 in a row is acceptable, whereas missing 3 will cause parishioners or my priest to wonder.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:46:49 PM »

You've never heard of the infamous "miss three liturgies in a row and you're excommunicated" rule? I have no idea if it's real, but it's been floating around the interwebs for a long time...  angel
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 01:47:17 PM »

Missing three consecutive Sundays deliberately (i.e., you had a reasonable choice and chose not to attend. Driving on unsafe roads would likely not be any kind of reasonable choice) requires you to go to confession and be reconciled to the Church before communing again.
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »

You've never heard of the infamous "miss three liturgies in a row and you're excommunicated" rule? I have no idea if it's real, but it's been floating around the interwebs for a long time...  angel

It comes from Canon 80 of the Council of Trullo in 692.

"CANON LXXX.

IF any bishop, or presbyter, or deacon, or any of those who are enumerated in the list of the clergy, or a layman, has no very grave necessity nor difficult business so as to keep him from church for a very long time, but being in town does not go to church on three consecutive Sundays--three weeks--if he is a cleric let him be deposed, but if a layman let him be cut off."

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/trullo.asp

There are many canons from this council that have become the de facto norm for the Orthodox of today, while there are many that are not strictly enforced. It would be best to get specific direction from your priest about the issue to see how he and the bishop apply this canon.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 01:59:29 PM »

Wow, that's in Trullo, and I never noticed it? I feel like such a newb  Embarrassed
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 02:05:22 PM »

Wow, that's in Trullo, and I never noticed it? I feel like such a newb  Embarrassed

You don't have every canon, local or ecumenical, memorised? Anathema!

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 03:11:44 PM »

When I posed a similar question to my priest (I often have to work on Sundays), this is what he told me; If you have good reason for missing Liturgy like work, bad weather, illness, then there is no sin.  If however you volunteer not to go and you miss Liturgy continuously, then in effect, you have ex-communicated yourself.

I hope this helps a little. But, as we say 'round these parts, "Ask your priest."  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 06:18:05 PM »

LOL I just made thread about something similar to this. Oops.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: