OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:46:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One alter,One bishop? (Letter to the Philadelphians)  (Read 515 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: December 29, 2012, 04:18:18 AM »

Be not deceived, my brethren: If anyone follows a maker of schism [i.e., is a schismatic], he does not inherit the kingdom of God; if anyone walks in strange doctrine [i.e., is a heretic], he has no part in the Passion [of Christ]. Take care, then, to use one Eucharist, so that whatever you do, you do according to God: For there is one flesh of our Lord Jesus Christ, and one cup in the union of his blood; one altar, as there is one bishop, with the presbytery and my fellow servants, the deacons (Letter to the Philadelphians 3:3-4:1 [A.D. 110]).

St Ignatius taught that there is only one alter and one bishop in the letter to the Phiadelphians.( There should be a number of bishops with equal status in Church, not only one bishop which is infalliable has special authority, like catholic church!!  Huh )

What does 'ONE alter' and 'ONE bishop' mean in the letter to Phildeplphians? How  do Orthodox Christians understand 'One altar' and 'one bishop'?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:26:46 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:11:04 AM »

It's a warning against schism. There should be only one bishop in a diocese and the faithful shouldn't hold assemblies without the knowledge of the bishop. To set up altar against altar is to go into schism. St. Ignatius was afraid that schisms would break out.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 05:13:58 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:23:43 AM »

It's a warning against schism. There should be only one bishop in a diocese and the faithful shouldn't hold assemblies without the knowledge of the bishop. To set up altar against altar is to go into schism. St. Ignatius was afraid that schisms would break out.
I see.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:28:26 AM »

I see.

St. Ignatius himself conversed with other bishops, like St. Polycarp of Smyrna and the bishop of Ephesus.

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: