OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:05:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what other faiths do you mix?  (Read 3872 times) Average Rating: 0
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: December 28, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »

what other religions do you mix if any?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »

Jediism.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:21:16 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »

I think there are admirable things in various faiths such as Taoism, but I think the same things can be found in Christianity, so I don't see a need for me to "mix" in other stuff when trying to be Christian. Fwiw.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »

Sometimes after church, I mix milk in my tea. That's all, though.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 02:23:57 PM »

Milk in tea? That's highly inappropriate. Sugar in tea is good and honey is OK too. But milk in tea? Anathema!

2000th post!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:24:58 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »

I find comparative religion studies fascinating, with Judaism and Western Neopaganism my primary points of interest, but I don't confuse my studies with my personal religious practice.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »

I only ponder other faiths based on what virtues they exhibit within the natural law of God to discern & not judge, to try to abide in love, faith, & hope for others even while in my own wretchedness.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »

I'm sure there is still some Protestant baggage that I have not fully let go off, especially since I was a Protestant most of my life.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 02:42:57 PM »

I admire some things in Islam but I think same aspects can be found in Christianity. It's just that modern Western Christians do not practice or do not have them anymore.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »

Milk in tea? That's highly inappropriate. Sugar in tea is good and honey is OK too. But milk in tea? Anathema!

2000th post!
Sorry, you need to watch The Great Escape.

Colin: Afraid this tea's pathetic. Must have used these wretched leaves about twenty times. It's not that I mind so much. Tea without milk is so uncivilized.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 02:58:04 PM »

Trying to be Christian is hard enough, so I don't think I can mix  Grin
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:35:59 PM »

I mix creamer in my coffee faithfully.

Being Orthodox is already hard enough, I don't need the burden of another religion on me when I can barely balance one.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »

I used to study a variety of different religions here and there, nothing too crazy.  The older I become and now that I have found the true Church, I have no desire to learn of the heresies of man.  I honestly don’t care much of what they have to say anymore.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 10:36:58 PM »

Jediism.

what is jediism?

“God has no religion.”
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »

Most of them, or at least a significant number. Every religion has an aspect of truth, and if understood in unison and in the context of a collective and universal human spirituality, serve as the prismatic colors that come together to form a single ray of white light that is WISDOM-RELIGION.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:54:37 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 11:06:34 PM »

Most of them, or at least a significant number. Every religion has an aspect of truth, and if understood in unison and in the context of a collective and universal human spirituality, serve as the prismatic colors that come together to form a single ray of white light that is WISDOM-RELIGION.

The universalism thread is over there -------------->
 angel
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 01:22:21 AM »

I feel strongly that if someone is trying to incorporate (mix) other religions into Orthodox Christianity, then this person most likely doesn't understand Orthodox Christianity.  My understanding is that, as Orthodox Christians, we believe there are truths in other religions, only Orthodox Christianity contains the full, complete Truth.

I offer this not to be contentious or judgmental but to inspire us to delve deeper into Orthodoxy. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 01:40:53 AM »

I think there are admirable things in various faiths such as Taoism
Boy, you really missed out. Cav., Orthonorm and I had a profitable discussion on Taoism recently.  Cool

http://www.chiinnature.com/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:41:42 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 02:16:51 AM »

Messianic, Lutheran/non-baptism, tragically conservative non-denominational recovering from some painfully skewed ideas with an occasional bit of general theism/semi-agnosticism-but some of that is my flesh side. I am not the most mature or wisest Orthodox here.  I'm just a work in progress learning what it means to be Orthodox better. Reading/listening to Orthodox people is good, and Orthodox churches (as long as the people are kind and loving and not hyper-fundamentalist in a western sense) are the best!

I'm personally a bit interested in things like Baha'i, Sihkism, and Hinduism. It's a different mindset that I want to understand better.  I have not found much real, fundamental truth outside of Christianity.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:32:51 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 02:17:20 AM »

Have you watched the movie Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi (aka Episodes 4, 5 and 6) and Star Wars Movies Episode 1, Episode 2 and Episode 3 (aka prequels)?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:23:28 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 02:29:11 AM »

Boy, you really missed out. Cav., Orthonorm and I had a profitable discussion on Taoism recently.  Cool

Darn (can I say that now? um...)   That's too bad. I think I could sit and listen to 'norm give commentary/analysis of the Tao Te Ching all night, lol.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 02:37:07 AM »

Darn (can I say that now? um...)   That's too bad. I think I could sit and listen to 'norm give commentary/analysis of the Tao Te Ching all night, lol.

The true exegete is found in that link I gave you.

Check out the Tao Gun.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 04:49:31 AM »

Jediism.

I missed this one.   Grin

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 08:38:38 AM »

I feel strongly that if someone is trying to incorporate (mix) other religions into Orthodox Christianity, then this person most likely doesn't understand Orthodox Christianity.  My understanding is that, as Orthodox Christians, we believe there are truths in other religions, only Orthodox Christianity contains the full, complete Truth.

I offer this not to be contentious or judgmental but to inspire us to delve deeper into Orthodoxy. 

+1

I use some Roman Catholic prayers and hymns in my private devotion, but I suppose they're used by Orthodox WR.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 10:51:27 AM »

I'm inspired by four great Traditions: Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Sufism.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 10:56:45 AM »

Well....sometimes I'll play praise and worship music on my guitar, if that counts for anything?

I'm inspired by four great Traditions: Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Sufism.

When it comes to Hinduism and its philosophies, Paradvaita > all others :p When I was delving into Hinduism, Kashmir Shaivism and it's unique look at monism intrigued me (Advaita was waaay too impersonal).

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »

There are aspects of other religions that I find interesting.  Some of these pointed the way to Orthodoxy for me, and some help me understand certain aspects of Orthodoxy to this day.  While Orthodoxy may indeed be the complete repository of Truth, I have yet to find many parishes that even remotely come close to displaying that Truth.  Often, I have found some of these Truths in other religions before I found them in the Orthodox Church.  Not that they were not there.  They were just not as evident.  However, as my collection of Orthodox books increased, and as my exposure to more and more Orthodox Christians increased, my need for the writings of other religions grew less and less.  I still rely heavily on certain Lutheran Commentaries, and I use both Lutheran and Roman Catholic sources for my daily prayers and services.  But I cannot remember that last time that I read any Hindu, Taoist, Gnostic or other writings.  As tools, they did their job.  I no longer believe that I need them.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »

Cool.

“God has no religion.”
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »

Cool.
Also Kabbalah/Judaism.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »

Well....sometimes I'll play praise and worship music on my guitar, if that counts for anything?

When it comes to Hinduism and its philosophies, Paradvaita > all others :p When I was delving into Hinduism, Kashmir Shaivism and it's unique look at monism intrigued me (Advaita was waaay too impersonal).
For me, Shaiva Siddhanta over Advaita, likewise.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »

Also Kabbalah/Judaism.

The Kabbalah is amazing. A lot of it makes me go 'bzuh?' but what makes sense makes a lot of sense.

I've been practising yoga for over 20 years and I find the first 4 limbs of the eightfold path have absolutely nothing contradicting Christianity in general and Orthodoxy in particular. From pratyahara upwards, the waters can muddy a lot.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 08:18:28 PM »

Cool.
Also Kabbalah/Judaism.
cool. But if you believe them all religiously, how do you manage to make them agree with each other?

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »

Also Kabbalah/Judaism.

The Kabbalah is amazing. A lot of it makes me go 'bzuh?' but what makes sense makes a lot of sense.

I've been practising yoga for over 20 years and I find the first 4 limbs of the eightfold path have absolutely nothing contradicting Christianity in general and Orthodoxy in particular. From pratyahara upwards, the waters can muddy a lot.
some priests however condemn the practice of yoga. They think of it as worshipping demons. Even if this is not what is really happenning.

“God has no religion.”
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »

some priests however condemn the practice of yoga. They think of it as worshipping demons. Even if this is not what is really happenning.

No, they think of it as a Hindu religious practice, and at its higher levels it is. The same accusation has been levelled against martial arts. The practice styles can vary widely, in both disciplines, that's why there's no consensus on their cult status.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 08:52:17 PM »

Cool.
Also Kabbalah/Judaism.
cool. But if you believe them all religiously, how do you manage to make them agree with each other?
They agree at the Heart, in the realm of Silence.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 07:52:23 AM »

Cool.
Also Kabbalah/Judaism.

Just curious Jetavan, why do you seem cool with Orthodoxy when it holds exclusivistic beliefs you wouldn't agree with?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »

The universalism thread is over there -------------->
 angel

Chuckle...or on any thread we have on Freemasonry.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2013, 08:05:16 AM »

How the mighty have fallen...

On a OC.net diet.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 08:08:16 AM »

The theosophy graphic in his sig line is the giveaway. Though I do wonder how and why he has gone from a hardline Orthodox to a syncretist ...
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »

Cool.
Also Kabbalah/Judaism.

Just curious Jetavan, why do you seem cool with Orthodoxy when it holds exclusivistic beliefs you wouldn't agree with?
Orthodoxy is exclusivistic? I think Orthodoxy is the most inclusivistic of the Christian traditions.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 08:25:42 AM »

The theosophy graphic in his sig line is the giveaway. Though I do wonder how and why he has gone from a hardline Orthodox to a syncretist ...

Read too much Tolstoy?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »

Have you ever heard of the Himalayan Academy?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »

Yep. Hard-core Shaivas.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:20:51 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »

Yep. Hard-core Shaivas.

Agh, tell me about it. Their teachings on women especially.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »

I try to mix the faith of EARLY Christians and what they practiced.

The lifestyle and family life of the Anabaptists is pretty close (other than language)
The Sabbath keeping practices of the Messianic Jews & Ebionites.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: