OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 02:30:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Saint  (Read 572 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: December 22, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »

Archimandrite Gabriel (Urgebadze) (26 August, 1929 Tbilisi – 2 November 1995, Mtskheta, Georgia) was canonized on December 20, 2012 by the Holy Synod of the Georgian Orthodox Church. His feastday will be celebrated on November 2nd, the day of his repose.

Elder Gabriel opposed the communist regime in Soviet Georgia (former republic of the USSR) and was persecuted by the government for many years. He built a four-cupola church in his yard single-handedly. Monk Gabriel was arrested by Soviet police after he burnt down a huge portrait of Lenin during the parade in Tbilisi, 1965. Tortured by KGB for several months monk Gabriel was eventually released from prison...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »

Archimandrite Gabriel (Urgebadze) (26 August, 1929 Tbilisi – 2 November 1995, Mtskheta, Georgia) was canonized on December 20, 2012 by the Holy Synod of the Georgian Orthodox Church. His feastday will be celebrated on November 2nd, the day of his repose.

Elder Gabriel opposed the communist regime in Soviet Georgia (former republic of the USSR) and was persecuted by the government for many years. He built a four-cupola church in his yard single-handedly. Monk Gabriel was arrested by Soviet police after he burnt down a huge portrait of Lenin during the parade in Tbilisi, 1965. Tortured by KGB for several months monk Gabriel was eventually released from prison...

Sounds like someone that I would like to venerate.  Thank you for bringing him to our attention.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:23:39 PM by Punch » Logged

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

I visited his grave last year. It was packed with pilgrims.

It's surprising that they only waited 17 years to canonise him though.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »

Glory to God.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »

Unusual, but not unprecedented in that he was so obviously a saint in his earthly life. I believe he was also known to many members of the Georgian Holy Synod, as well as His Holiness and Beatitude Ilia II, Catholicos and Patriarch of all Georgia. If I'm not mistaken, His Holiness and Beatitude's tenure has seen the glorification of more saints than at any other time (with the exception of large numbers of martyrs who didn't need formal glorification), particularly since 1991.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »

I don't think there's a time limit on when a Byzantine Orthodox church can glorify someone - certainly not one that's observed anyways :-). The Copts have a 50-year waiting period I believe, which seems like a good idea regardless of who's under consideration, but to each their own!

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: