OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:07:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Differences Between East & West  (Read 292 times) Average Rating: 0
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« on: December 27, 2012, 10:16:53 PM »

The Assistant to the Vicar General of the AWRV posted a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post on Facebook about the differences between East and West. Thought I'd pass it along Smiley

Here's one way to capture the difference between Western and Eastern Christians:

Western: Merry Christmas

Eastern: May you have a glorious and joyful and blessed Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ, to whom belongs all glory, honor and worship, now and ever and unto the ages of ages.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 11:55:02 PM »

Well, if you look at pre-schism prayers, the further west you go, the shorter they get. The further East you go, the longer they get. Compare the Antiphonary of Bangor with Armenian or Syriac prayers and you have this beautifully illustrated.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 06:54:34 AM »

Good observation, but I think there is another, simpler difference:

Western: Merry Christmas [saying this thinks about carols, Santa Claus, family meeting etc.)

Eastern: Christ is born! [saying this thinks about the same things as Western but also about the end of the fast]

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »

We Greeks also wish 'Happy Holidays' without any stink-eye, because there are loads of feast days between Christmas and Epiphany. It's not all downhill from the 25th. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »

The Assistant to the Vicar General of the AWRV posted a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post on Facebook about the differences between East and West. Thought I'd pass it along Smiley

Here's one way to capture the difference between Western and Eastern Christians:

Western: Merry Christmas

Eastern: May you have a glorious and joyful and blessed Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ, to whom belongs all glory, honor and worship, with His Father who is without beginning and His All-Holy, Good, and Life-Creating Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages.

There. Now it's a real Eastern prayer. None of that modernist abbreviated stuff from before.  police  Wink
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:26:12 PM by OrthoNoob » Logged

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:50:18 AM »

your 'eastern' prayers sounds exactly like what we would say in our church!
i think there is a similar arabic language influence.
 Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: