OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:30:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Many Years for the Metropolitan and Diocesian Bishop  (Read 1413 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« on: December 30, 2004, 10:06:23 PM »

I have a question and I hope some of our liturgical experts can answer it. We don't sing "Many Years" at the end of the Liturgy anymore in my unnamed OCA parish, not for the Metropolitan nor for the Diocesian Bishop. We actually stopped doing this several years ago when we got a new priest. I can't remember exactly when we stopped it. I had forgotten about it until I visited another OCA parish around Christmas and it just kind of "jumped out" at me at the end of the Liturgy. It had been so long since I had sung it, I had forgotten some of the words. Should we be singing this at the end of every Liturgy? Or is this just an optional local custom? The only time we sing "Many Years" anymore is for a birthday or a name day of someone in the parish. If the Bishop is present for a service, we sing "Many Years". But if he isn't present at the actually Liturgy itself we omit it. Are we wrong here? Have we developed a bad habit? What do our resident liturgical experts say? To be honest, I'm really confused.
MatthewPanchisin

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 06:04:59 PM »

Usually, "many years" is sung when the Bishop is present, or for a member of the congregation, anniversary etc. That can even be a bit of a problem if a important day for a member is forgotten etc.

You're not doing anything wrong.  However if you are unhappy with the Bishop and then you decide not to sing "many years" that's another story especially if he is present. Just kidding!

In Christ,

Matthew Panchisin
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 08:16:49 PM »

So in other words, singing Many years for the Metropolitan and the Bishop of your diocese is simply an optional local custom. Thanks for the info.

Tikhon
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 05:54:43 PM »

We sing "God Grant you many years" while people are going up to kiss the cross and get anointed, but when the metropolitan is there we sing Espolla eta Despota as I'm sure everyone else does. Oh, and my favorite song, "You have entered O Archpriest" It sounds better in slavonic but my slavonic spelling is quite poor.

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 07:50:24 AM »

I know that I am coming to this very late but it seems that some clarity is required here.

The "many years" that is sung for individual people on special occasions such as ordinations, name days, and so forth, with the deacon's introduction "God grant a prosperous and peaceful life...", is not what is being asked about in the opening post.

Rather, it seems that the question is about the "many years" that is sung at the end of Matins in the All-Night Vigil and at the end of every Divine Liturgy.  This occurs immediately after the dismissal.  The hierarchy is commemorated in order, then the local authorities, then the parishioners of the local church "and all Orthodox Christians". It is not, to my knowledge, usually omitted in the Slavic tradition, although in the Greek tradition it is much simpler, commemorating only "the one who blesses us and sanctifies us".

M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »

We don't sing Many Years "every" Sunday after Liturgy....only on special occasions.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »

We don't sing Many Years "every" Sunday after Liturgy....only on special occasions.

We do for general intention nowadays, although that was not the practice when I was younger.  -  In our tradition we only sing Many Years or Eis Polla for the diocesan hierarch if he is present or if it is his feastal period, his birthday or if he is ill. At Pascha and the Nativity at the end of Liturgy, Eis Polla/Many Years is entoned for the Patriarch and then for our diocesan Bishop followed by all bishops, clergy, monastics and the faithful.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:56:05 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: